Re: [earlyflute] Re: tone hole undercutting.... and more

  • Philippe Allain-Dupré
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011
      From: Rod Cameron
      To: earlyflute@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:41 PM
      Subject: [earlyflute] Re: tone hole undercutting.... and more
      ,___
      A Joyous Turn of the Year to you all, Colleagues!

      I would also accept that, once such fast undercutting is adopted, perhaps
      the bore design was gradually redesigned to give the best possible results
      commensurate with this fast ball shaped undercut. Certainly the ball
      undercuttings in the Frankfurt Palanca may well be the cause of its sharp
      cross fingering, as well as its all-important loudn ess, now fashionable in
      recitals.

      Hi Rod
      Don't you think this kind of ball undercutting is a feature of late flutes,
      to facilitate third octave?

      In my records, only Belgian and German late classical flutes like GA
      Rotenbourg, CA Grenser, Tuerlincks, and probably the Crone you are
      restoring, have this round undercutting. As we know Palanca was copying
      German makers.
      BTW do you know this Palanca :Palanca, Carlo
      Transverse flute by C. Palanca, Milan c. 1800. [drawn by] Jaap Frank, 1984.
      The Hague: Haags Gemeentemuseum. No. Ea 10-1940.

      The consequence of this very large undercutting is a weak first octave.

      Personnally I would play a Palanca for a Mozart recital at 430, its intended
      pitch, not for baroque music at 415, where your Bressan or a strong Quantz
      sounds much more powerfully in lower register, not to speak of a Beaudin,
      the loudest due to its large bore.

      happy new year to all!
      And even if it's cold, don't follow Casey Burns :
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQhO3LWtQk&feature=player_embedded
      Philippe
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011
        --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, Philippe Allain-Dupré <allain-dupre@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rod
        > Don't you think this kind of ball undercutting is a feature of late flutes,
        > to facilitate third octave?

        Granting that an improvement of upper registers is possible, is there anything to be achieved by the undercutting that would not be achieved with a regular hole of a different size in a different place?

        The problem that I have with this is that explanations that especially relate to undercutting (diffraction and turbulence for instance) fail to convince for want of the expected effect; though there may be a difference in theory, it is not at all so obvious in practice.

        In the mean time, I was never so keen on undercutting because of the intuition that the best bet for musical notes with a clear clean focus is a bore with the least complicated profile. By analogy, if you varied the profile of guitar strings to especially accommodate the frets, this would wreak havoc with the tone.

        Am I the only one who thinks like that, or what?

        R.H.
      • Philippe Allain-Dupré
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011
             . . .Rod Cameron provided the following:
            Changing the subject, take a look at the video here:

            Seems like there is a potential to produce any shape of flute, while enjoying a glass of wine and reading a good book?
            I find the end remarks intriguing, the part about “new designs that are not doable otherwise.”

            I think a Klein Bottle Ocarina would add a new dimension to my sound.

            Happy New Year to all,
            Pat T.