Fwd: old horns

  • Terry McGee
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
      Hmmm, I'm puzzled.  The message below appeared in my Spam box.  As you can see the message seems to be from Gisele to Georgette, although the From line gives the source as Guilaine de Maubourg.  The subject is Old Horns, and there is a mention of "antic wind for sale".  When we click on the http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html link it takes us to a page with oodles of interesting images of old flutes from mediaeval to modern, appearing to have been taken from many different sources.  If you attempt to go up in the directory structure, eg to http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/ it can't be found.

      Did my Spam detector read it right?  Is this a setup?

      Terry

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
        To judge from the style and content, it looks like I a defunct version of what eventually became what we see here:

        http://www.renard-music.com/selectinstrumentphotos.php3

        Or it could be associated in some other way, as a prototype, intended for private use while the presentation is not yet up to scratch.

        As to the e-mail I guess that somebody was careless about their send to or cc address list.

        R.H.

        --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "Terry McGee" <terry@...> wrote:

        > Hmmm, I'm puzzled. The message below appeared in my Spam box. As you can
        > see the message seems to be from Gisele to Georgette, although the From
        > line gives the source as Guilaine de Maubourg. The subject is Old Horns,
        > and there is a mention of "antic wind for sale". When we click on the
        > http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html link it takes us to a
        > page with oodles of interesting images of old flutes from mediaeval to
        > modern, appearing to have been taken from many different sources. If you
        > attempt to go up in the directory structure, eg to
        > http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/ it can't be found.
        >
        > Did my Spam detector read it right? Is this a setup?
        >
        > Terry

      • Mary Kirkpatrick
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
          Terry et al,

          I would trust your spam box; the message seems too disjointed to have
          been made by a real person. Even if a message comes from someone you
          know, don't open anything in the message until you're sure the person
          wrote it! There are programs that reach into peoples' mailboxes and
          send some made-up message to the whole address list, sometimes
          including a tempting attachment with a virus. If in doubt, shoot
          back a reply with "Did you send this?"

          Maybe in the good old USA we're particularly vulnerable -- there was
          something on the radio just this morning about how easy it is to hack
          into government files and haul off huge amounts of data -- scary...

          Mary

          <http://www.renard-music.com/selectinstrumentphotos.php3>http://www.renard-music.com/selectinstrumentphotos.php3

          <mailto:earlyflute%40yahoogroups.com>earlyflute@yahoogroups.com,
          "Terry McGee" <terry@...> wrote:

          > Hmmm, I'm puzzled. The message below appeared in my Spam box. As you can
          > see the message seems to be from Gisele to Georgette, although the From
          > line gives the source as Guilaine de Maubourg. The subject is Old Horns,
          > and there is a mention of "antic wind for sale". When we click on the
          >
          ><http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html>http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html
          >link it takes us to a
          > page with oodles of interesting images of old flutes from mediaeval to
          > modern, appearing to have been taken from many different sources. If you
          > attempt to go up in the directory structure, eg to
          >
          ><http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/>http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/
          >it can't be found.
          >
          > Did my Spam detector read it right? Is this a setup?
          >
          > Terry

        • FRANS AND KATE VAN LIERE
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
            Terry,

            I'm not sure what antics this e-mail has in stock. Usually, when I receive an e-mail in questionable English with a generic content that refers me to a website unrelated to the content of the e-mail message, it's clearly spam. Your filter works very well. That said, the website is odd, but it does not seem to be malicious. (Lots of fascinating scanned images of flutes; I wonder what the source is.)

            On that note, there's a Denner copy for sale on e-bay, item nr.: 320512651786. Does anyone know something about the maker?

            Frans van Liere
            Grand Rapids, Michigan

            Hmmm, I'm puzzled.  The message below appeared in my Spam box.  As you can see the message seems to be from Gisele to Georgette, although the From line gives the source as Guilaine de Maubourg.  The subject is Old Horns, and there is a mention of "antic wind for sale".  When we click on the http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html link it takes us to a page with oodles of interesting images of old flutes from mediaeval to modern, appearing to have been taken from many different sources.  If you attempt to go up in the directory structure, eg to http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html it can't be found.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
              Spam alright. I got the same e-mail and deleted it right away.
              All the Giseles and Georgettes I know have nothing to do with old horns.

              Luc

              --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "Terry McGee" <terry@...> wrote:

              > Hmmm, I'm puzzled. The message below appeared in my Spam box. As you can
              > see the message seems to be from Gisele to Georgette, although the From
              > line gives the source as Guilaine de Maubourg. The subject is Old Horns,
              > and there is a mention of "antic wind for sale". When we click on the
              > http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/flute/flute.html link it takes us to a
              > page with oodles of interesting images of old flutes from mediaeval to
              > modern, appearing to have been taken from many different sources. If you
              > attempt to go up in the directory structure, eg to
              > http://anticwindbooks.chez-alice.fr/ it can't be found.
              >
              > Did my Spam detector read it right? Is this a setup?
              >
              > Terry

            • Rinaldo S. Coelho
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
                Span or not, the pictures are incredibles.
                Here in Brazil one of my hobbies consists on find antiques records of old instruments.
                Recenttly I found in a old bookstore a french art book from Antoine Watteau with many old instruments, but I don't read french... That's a problem that some day I will resolve... :-))
                I appreciate some web sites informations from public or private collections available to access or books.

                Rinaldo