Re: [earlyflute] flute maker question

  • Terry McGee
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:43:01 +1100, James R. Harris <jimrharris@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      Can anyone provide information on a maker for an 11-key flute I have come across with the following stamped on the upper joints?

      Wilhelm A. Johnsen
         Christiana

      Either  "Christiana" or "Christiania" is the lower name, I'm not sure which is the correct spelling, and I think it may be another, older, perhaps original name for Oslo (Norway).

      Nothing immediately obvious in the NLI, Jim.  There are a couple of English Johnsons.  The only maker listed from Oslo, Christiana or Kristiana is a William Farre, 20th century.

      Possible that Johnsen was a dealer and the flute an import?  What would you guess the flute to best resemble in style?

      Terry

      --

      Terry McGee - flutes, flute research, restorations and repairs

      35 Bunderra Circuit, Malua Bay, NSW, 2536, Australia
      Ph +61 (0)2 4471 3837 Email: terry@...
      Web: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com