Cactus Data Shield 200

  • Jernej Simončič
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      Yesterday I was browsing through my sister's CDs, and found that she
      has the copy-protected Natalie Imbruglia's White Lilies Island. As
      there was a lot of talk, how "good" this copy protection is, I tested
      the CD in my CD-ROMs. Results:

      SAMSUNG SC-140B: can't read, Detect TOC manually doesn't work.
      Extraction isn't possible ("Cannot detect matching read command for
      this drive" error).

      PIONEER DVD-103s: on inserting it displays (randomly) 1 - 10 audio
      tracks (of 12, other are shown as Data), other tracks as data (except
      for the last shown audio track, they can be extracted immediately).
      Detect TOC manually works in 1 of 3 tries (other times it either loops
      forever in Detecting Layout window until it ends with Unhandled
      exception error, or it only detects one audio and one data track, both
      are marked as Track 13). When TOC is successfully detected manually,
      all tracks can be extracted.

      TEAC CD-R55S: the biggest surprise of all, it immediately detects all
      12 audio tracks, and doesn't even see the data track (seems like it
      ignores the "bad" TOC). Extraction works immediately.

      Anyway, the CD works fine in all "normal" CD players I have, but fails
      in PlayStation2, which can't read the 1st track (the only way to play
      it is to start playing track 2, and then rewind back to first 10
      seconds of track 1).

      --
      Jernej Simoncic, jernej.simoncic@...
      http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/

      In a hierarchical organization, the higher the level, the greater the
      confusion.
      -- Dow's Law