Re: [eac] Cue and Mac

  • Mike Richter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
      At 02:29 AM 1/1/2002 -0500, yahoo2@... wrote:
      >At 03:58 PM 12-27-2001 +0000, you wrote:
      > >Does anyone know of a burning program for Macs that can read cue
      > >sheets? Or have a suggestion for Mac users who want to burn a cd
      > >from a single mp3 file and cuesheet (i.e. decompress and split?)
      >
      >MP3 is a crappy format. And you will get crappy CDs from it.

      Still, the question is valid - and the quality of the MP3 may not be the
      primary issue.

      The Mac came late to compressed audio for some reason. The files I've seen
      from various compressors are of very low quality for the rate used. A
      high-rate MP3 produced with a good codec on a PC can produce an excellent
      disc; what I've encountered on Mac files has been far short of that.

      Stick with AIFF, but you also have to stick with a limited choice of
      software for mastering the disc. AFAIK, you really only have Discribe and
      Toast. I believe both will take MP3s, but would be surprised if either
      (very surprised if Toast) could take a CUE file.

      Mike

      mrichter@...
      http://www.mrichter.com/
    • yahoo2@directvinternet.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2002
        At 12:22 AM 01-01-2002 -0800, you wrote:
        >At 02:29 AM 1/1/2002 -0500, yahoo2@... wrote:
        > >At 03:58 PM 12-27-2001 +0000, you wrote:
        > > >Does anyone know of a burning program for Macs that can read cue
        > > >sheets? Or have a suggestion for Mac users who want to burn a cd
        > > >from a single mp3 file and cuesheet (i.e. decompress and split?)
        > >
        > >MP3 is a crappy format. And you will get crappy CDs from it.
        >
        >Still, the question is valid - and the quality of the MP3 may not be the
        >primary issue.
        >
        >The Mac came late to compressed audio for some reason. The files I've seen
        >from various compressors are of very low quality for the rate used. A
        >high-rate MP3 produced with a good codec on a PC can produce an excellent
        >disc; what I've encountered on Mac files has been far short of that.
        >
        >Stick with AIFF, but you also have to stick with a limited choice of
        >software for mastering the disc. AFAIK, you really only have Discribe and
        >Toast. I believe both will take MP3s, but would be surprised if either
        >(very surprised if Toast) could take a CUE file.
        >
        >Mike

        Nope, no Adaptec products will handle cue sheets. I do not know what on a
        MAC will. But, the best format to use on a MAC for compressed audio is
        Shorten (SHN). No loss in audio quality. And when you decompress, you get
        back the original file. I do not know what the format is on a MAC for the
        original uncompressed file.

        Seeing that MP3 is not very good when made with a good compressor, it'll be
        that much worse on a MAC. Don't do it. SHN is the way to go for storage.
      • zoeklein
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2002
          I was going to let this go but since you seem to know so much...the
          question was "Is there a MAC program that reads cuesheets". The
          reason I ask is because I have an mp3 server and compress entire live
          discs as a single mp3 with a cuesheet. This avoids the flaws that
          occur when 'reconnecting' individual mp3s. Spent some time
          discussing this a few months back and I understand it is inherent in
          the compression scheme - please correct me if this is wrong but I
          can't seem to get a smooth join after comrpressing/decompressing.
          And I have tried the compression offset feature in EAC with no luck.
          Additionally, this would depend on what decompression software is
          being used on the other end (I know, it shouldn't matter but lots of
          folks use winamp which is supposed to introduce artifacts).

          The system works great for PC users - they burn with EAC, CDRWin or
          Feurio and read the cuesheet no problem and produce a high quality
          disc. Some of the users are on MACs and I'd like to help them out.

          I don't want to get into the lossy/lossless compression debate and in
          fact don't use any of the mp3 myself. All my stuff is original burns
          from source and archived on SHN. I don't have the bandwidth nor
          storage to serve up SHNs though. And the folks I share with are more
          than happy to get the mp3s.

          So while I appreciate your recommendations...sometimes there are
          reasons. And responses like your initial post "mp3 is a crappy
          format and you'll get crappy discs from it" aren't particularly
          helpful.

          P.S. I haven't found anything yet so if someone knows of such
          software, let me know!

          --- In eac@y..., yahoo2@d... wrote:
          > At 12:22 AM 01-01-2002 -0800, you wrote:
          > >At 02:29 AM 1/1/2002 -0500, yahoo2@d... wrote:
          > > >At 03:58 PM 12-27-2001 +0000, you wrote:

          > Nope, no Adaptec products will handle cue sheets. I do not know
          what on a MAC will. But, the best format to use on a MAC for
          compressed audio is Shorten (SHN). No loss in audio quality. And when
          you decompress, you get back the original file. I do not know what
          the format is on a MAC for the original uncompressed file.
          Seeing that MP3 is not very good when made with a good compressor,
          it'll be that much worse on a MAC. Don't do it. SHN is the way to go
          for storage.
        • Derrick Pohl
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
            At 05:41 AM 2002-01-05, "zoeklein" <davidklein@...> wrote:

            >I was going to let this go but since you seem to know so much...the
            >question was "Is there a MAC program that reads cuesheets". The
            >reason I ask is because I have an mp3 server and compress entire live
            >discs as a single mp3 with a cuesheet.
            >
            >[snip]
            >
            >The system works great for PC users - they burn with EAC, CDRWin or
            >Feurio and read the cuesheet no problem and produce a high quality
            >disc. Some of the users are on MACs and I'd like to help them out.

            Have you asked on Mac digital audio forums or looked on Mac audio
            websites? There must be some where your question might be answered quickly
            -- that's where I'd look.

            If you do find a Mac program that can work with cuesheets, please let us
            know! I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list who works in both worlds,
            i.e. Mac and the Dark Side.

            Derrick Pohl <pohl@...>
          • Auguste Lebrun
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
              Hi Derrick

              > i.e. Mac and the Dark Side.

              May the Force be with you in this frantically hard world...

              :-}}}}}}}

              Cheers

              A D L