Swimmer Takes On Length of Amazon River

  • Bruce Stirling
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Marathon swimmer takes on Amazon
      His motto is "Swimming for peace, friendship and clean waters"
      "Fish man" interview
      A swimmer who has tackled the Yangtze, Mississippi and Danube is starting a bid to become the first person to swim the entire length of the Amazon.

      Martin Strel, known as the "fish man", plans to swim the nearly 5,400km (3,375 miles) from Peru to Brazil, despite the dangers lurking beneath.

      The Amazon, the world's biggest river, is home to piranha fish and crocodiles.

      Mr Strel, 52, who is from Slovenia, acknowledged there were risks but said that it was his dream.

      There are many potential pitfalls: poisonous freshwater stingrays, bull sharks, piranhas, anacondas, rapids, whirlpools, and the possibility of tidal waves.

      Iquitos: Largest city in Peruvian rainforest
      Manaus: Brazilian former rubber town with grand theatre
      Macapa: The Brazilian city lies exactly on the Equator
      But Mr Strel is philosophical. Speaking to the BBC, he said "I'm concerned of course, but if I think of that stuff I would never jump into the water."

      And when asked about the toothpick fish that can enter the body by swimming up the penis, and can only be removed by surgery, the marathon swimmer's practicality is as evident as his courage.

      "I never urinate straight into the water, I always urinate straight into my wetsuit."

      Armed team

      He says he is confident that his long-distance swim will go according to plan because of meticulous planning and the support of his back up teams.

      More than 45 people, including doctors and trainers, will accompany him through Peru and Brazil.

      And should he be attacked or concerned for his safety, he will be able to rely on the armed members of his retinue.

      He plans to finish his swim in 70 days, averaging about 85km a day.

      If he is successful, he will be able to add this feat to his other records.

      He already features in the Guinness Book of World Records for swimming the Danube, Yangtze and Mississippi rivers.

      Story from BBC NEWS:

      Published: 2007/02/01 10:59:39 GMT

      © BBC MMVII

      Robert Bruce Stirling, II, Esq.
      602.460.5631 [Cell]
      602.258.0706 [Fax]

      This message is protected by attorney/client privilege.  This message is intended only or the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender of this email or by telephone.  If you believe it was  sent to you in error, do not read it.  Please reply to the sender that you received the message in error, then delete it.