Novela America

  • dfrcom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2005
      Liguei o radio ontem no carro e foi surpreendido ouvir numa cadeia nacional o seguinte trecho sobre a nova novela América.

      Just by chance I caught the following piece about Globo´s latest novela on the radio yesterday as I was driving home.

          (clique em "listen")
    • judy brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
        yes, my mother, who still lives in brasil, said this novela is very anti-american. bummer.

        judy ackley brown '76
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
          We get Globo Internacional (on Dish Network) at home (in NJ) and I have
          watched América. I haven't found it to be too anti-American. The U.S.
          (Miami) is portrayed as a shopping mall and playground for the rich and as
          a place where someone can succeed even if poor and uneducated.

          The main plot lines:

          1) Rich Brazilian go shopping in Miami.

          2) Poor Brazilians go to Mexico and try to cross the border.

          3) Border patrol tries to stop illegal border crossing, sometimes with
          help of private militia groups. In the novela, they shoot at the illegal
          immigrants. I guess that could be thought of as being a little
          anti-American. Even though these groups exist in real life and some in
          them carry weapons, see
          http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=8082922,
          I don't think they have shot anyone yet.

          4)Couple with little brat move to Miami for graduate school and get
          in trouble with the kid's school teacher (who is anti-immigrant).
          Teacher shows kid how to call 911 when he gets a palmada (slap on the
          hand).

          Though I never watch novelas when I am in Brazil (Deus me livre!!), I do
          in the US since they keep me in sync with what's happening in Rio. E matam
          um pouco a saudade! Globo Internacional brings me daily news, too, and
          most importantly FUTEBOL! Too bad Botafogo isn't what it used to be when
          I was at E.A.

          cheers,

          --Mauricio Resende '73.