942: Australian government honors Rotarian for volunteer efforts

  • sunilkzach
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004
      Australian government honors Rotarian for volunteer efforts

      The government of Australia has honored Danny Low, a past governor
      of District 9680 (New South Wales), for his contribution toward
      assisting developing countries to
      reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development.
      On 14 September, Health Minister Tony Abbott presented Low with a
      certificate of recognition that carries his signature alongside
      those of Prime Minister John Howard and Foreign Affairs Minister
      Alexander Downer.

      "I am happy and honored to be recognized, particularly for the
      excellent work done by all Rotarians," says Low.

      A member of the Rotary Club of Mosman, Low was especially recognized
      for initiating and carrying out, with the support of his fellow club
      members, medical missions in Myanmar (formerly Burma) and Vietnam
      over the last 10 years. Since Low's first visit to Vietnam in 1992,
      the Mosman club has sponsored several teams of surgeons traveling to
      different cities in that country, to perform much-needed hand and
      heart surgeries and transfer skills to their Vietnamese counterparts.

      The club was granted a permit to operate as a nongovernmental
      organization, or NGO, by Vietnam's People Aid Coordinating Committee
      in 1996.

      "This means that we are a recognized entity," says Low. "Our local
      partners are generally the hospitals in Vietnam, orphanages, and any
      Vietnamese organization we choose to work with." The club's NGO
      status has also helped raised awareness of Rotary. "The Vietnamese
      government is fully aware of the contributions of Rotary
      International," he says.

      Currently, a team of heart surgeons supported by Sydney's Adventist
      Hospital and a number of Australian Rotary clubs (including Mosman)
      is working in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. During a 4-6 October trip,
      Low will present 126 new wheelchairs to some of the city's poor and
      disabled. A team of hand surgeons is scheduled to visit Yangon,
      Myanmar, in November.

      "We are able to help anyone interested in undertaking projects in
      Vietnam and will consider
      joint projects with other Rotary clubs," says Low.

      Source: R I Website