741: RIBI Rotarians set Guinness Record with health initiative

  • sunilkzach
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      RIBI Rotarians set Guinness Record with health initiative

      Rotarians in Britain and Ireland have made it into the Guinness Book
      of Records with a health initiative they helped implement early this
      year.

      "Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland (RIBI) in
      partnership with The Stroke Association took blood pressure readings
      from a total of 127,573 people at over 1,000 sites across the UK on 5
      April 2003," reads the certificate sent to the RIBI secretariat by
      the keeper of records at the Guinness Book of Records.

      Clubs sponsored the event to address the alarming incidence of stroke
      in the RIBI area. At each of the sites, qualified medical staff
      checked the blood pressure of participants and, when necessary,
      advised them about lifestyle changes and further health care. Each
      examinee was issued a card to take to his or her doctor.

      In some areas, up to 25 percent of those who took advantage of the
      free checkup had problems they were unaware of.

      "A large number of people were referred to their own doctors and
      whilst I cannot provide a definite figure it is estimated to have
      been about 5 percent of the total," said Don Carsley, 2002-03 chair
      of the RIBI Community & Vocational Service Committee. "In one case a
      lady patient was taken for immediate treatment and she wrote to the
      Rotary organizer saying, 'Thank you for saving my life.' That lady
      alone made it all worthwhile."

      According to Carsley, the success of the initiative has inspired
      numerous clubs to express a wish to repeat the Stroke Awareness Day
      this Rotary year.

      "Rotarians believe that stroke is a major issue for our communities
      and costs too many people their lives, too many families and carers
      great suffering and hardship, and costs the national health service
      billions of pounds every year," said Tony de St Dalmas, 2002-03 RIBI
      president. "I believe that awareness and prevention are vital and
      this initiative struck a chord with the general public."

      Courtesy: Rotary Newsbasket