618: International Assembly provides training ground for district governors

  • sunilkzach <sunilkzach@yahoo.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2003
      International Assembly provides training ground for district governors

      The International Assembly welcomed 529 incoming district governors
      from 69 countries to Anaheim, California, USA, for a week of intense
      training in Rotary procedures, practices, and programs. From 26
      January-2 February, the governors-elect participated in a "total
      immersion" course in Rotary that included a packed curriculum of
      plenary sessions, group discussion forums, informational meetings,
      and fellowship events.

      For Riccardo Jose Cioglia of District 4530 (Brazil), one of the
      highlights of the assembly was the announcement of the 2003-04 theme,
      Lend a Hand, by RI's first African president-elect, Jonathan
      Majiyagbe of Nigeria. "The theme was simple and illustrates the real
      meaning of Rotary," he explained. "Reaching out to others is a
      universal concept."

      The president-elect outlined his four emphases for the year — poverty
      alleviation, health concerns, literacy and education, and promoting
      the family of Rotary. "Our clubs are where we find the core of our
      Rotary family," he said. "I will be asking every club to form a
      Family of Rotary Committee to find more ways to create and nurture
      that atmosphere of warmth and caring."

      RI President Bhichai Rattakul continued to build on this theme. "I
      have been a Rotarian now for 45 years," he said, "and I know that no
      one experiences the true magic of Rotary without personal involvement
      in service — without lending a hand. It is this person-to-person
      contact that Sows the Seeds of Love — that makes our world a better
      place." He urged Rotarians to continue their work for peace and
      tolerance, especially in an uncertain economic and political
      environment.

      Rotary Foundation Trustee Chairman Glen W. Kinross spoke on the
      Foundation's commitment to promoting peace and eradicating disease,
      poverty, and illiteracy through its many educational and humanitarian
      programs. "The Rotary Foundation continues to enrich the lives of
      people we will never see, we will never meet, and we will never know.
      But those who support our Foundation will always have the
      satisfaction of being someone who cared enough to help its great
      cause," he said. Other speakers included Dr. Steve Cochi, director of
      the Global Immunization Division at the U.S. Centers for Disease
      Control and Prevention; Sharon Darling, president of the National
      Center for Family Literacy, and Derran Moss of Australia, one of
      Rotary's first World Peace Scholars.

      Incoming district governors also learned more about Rotary's upcoming
      centennial in 2005 during an entertaining "playlet" moderated by
      Clifford L. Dochterman, chairman of the Centennial Operations
      Committee. Past District Governor (5160) Finis Jeffers added a light
      touch with his cartoons and drawings depicting Rotary's historic
      milestones.

      Spouses of the incoming governors enjoyed a parallel program that
      included their own plenary sessions, group discussions, and
      fellowship activities. One highlight was their participation in two
      literacy projects — one to establish an international section of
      children's books at the City of Orange Library near Anaheim and the
      other a "Books for Newborns" project, that encourages parents to read
      to their children. Each spouse brought several children's books in
      his or her native language to donate to the project.

      The 2003-04 class of district governors left Anaheim as proud
      graduates of "Rotary's university." But few were more proud than the
      group of incoming district governors from Nigeria. "We are very
      excited that Jonathan Majiyagbe will serve as RI president during our
      year," said Odoliyi Lolomari of District 9140. "We are inspired by
      his leadership and achievements, and we are all ready to 'Lend a
      Hand' wherever it is needed."

      Courtey: Rotary Newsbasket