3060 : Trustee Chair's message - September 2013

  • sunilkzach
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2013

      Trustee Chair's message - September 2013

      Invest in the world's future

      Every year, 6.9 million children die before reaching their fifth birthday. Almost two-thirds of them – 4.4 million – die of infectious diseases, nearly all of which could have been prevented.

      What would happen if 1.2 million Rotarians continued their service efforts in water, sanitation, health, hunger, and literacy, but with children in mind?

      If Rotarians provide insecticide-treated nets, fewer children will succumb to malaria. If we dig wells and address sanitation problems, more children will have clean water to drink and a lesser risk of falling ill with waterborne diseases. And if Rotary clubs carry out effective nutrition projects, we can save some of the almost 2.6 million children who die each year from malnutrition. We can do even more by providing a community with a trained birth attendant, a visiting nurse, a simple clinic, or a school food program. These are direct ways to save children’s lives.

      Children are dying not because we can’t help them, but because too often, nobody does. If every one of us does our part, we can challenge these high child mortality statistics and save the lives of thousands.

      In 2008-09, I asked Rotarians to open their eyes to the needs of children in communities near and far. This September, Rotary celebrates New Generations Month, and there’s no better time than now to focus on giving all children the opportunity to have the future they deserve.

      D K Lee, TRF Trustee Chair

      Source : Rotary International

      Courtesy : www.eflashonline.org