1720: RI President John Kenny's July 2009 Message

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2009
      July 2009

      My fellow Rotarians:

      It is traditional in Rotary that each Rotary International president is
      given the opportunity every month to write a message to all Rotarians in
      the pages of this magazine. I am grateful for this tradition, which
      gives me the opportunity to communicate with every one of you directly,
      for it is my firm belief that The Future of Rotary Is in Your Hands.

      It is a great honor to have been chosen as the first RI president from
      Scotland in the 104 years of this organization, and to have the
      privilege of serving the Rotarians of the world. Because there is no RI
      – no Board of Directors or president, no world headquarters or
      Rotary convention – without the ordinary weekly meeting of Rotarians
      in our own home clubs.

      In Rotary, everything we are, and everything we aspire to become, lies
      in the hands of Rotarians in their clubs. If our clubs are congenial and
      our meetings well run, if our service is carefully planned and
      competently carried out, if our members are qualified, honest, and
      respected in their vocations and communities, then all of Rotary will
      thrive. This is why I say The Future of Rotary Is in Your Hands.

      Water, health and hunger, and literacy will be our emphases in the year
      ahead. In this Rotary year, I ask Rotarians everywhere to continue to
      learn from our experiences and to build upon our successes. I ask you
      all to continue to work for the health and well-being of not only
      children but their families and people everywhere. I ask you
      particularly to focus on water and sanitation, as the scarcity of clean
      water is an increasingly serious issue in many parts of the world.

      In Scotland, we have a saying that I'm fond of quoting: "We must
      look beyond our own parish pump." It means that we must look beyond
      our own home and our own community. We must be aware that ours is only
      one community, of one country, of the many communities and countries in
      this world.

      In every one of those communities, there is work to be done. As
      Rotarians, we will not stand idly by. As Rotarians, we will accept our
      responsibility. We can, and we must. For we know that Rotary is only as
      great as its clubs – and our clubs are only as great as the members
      within them.

      The Future of Rotary Is in Your Hands.

      John Kenny
      President, Rotary International