1572: R I President's October 08 Message

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      October 2008

      Dear fellow Rotarians,

      When I was a child, Korea experienced a terrible war. After it was
      over, my country received a great deal of help from other governments
      and humanitarian organizations, help that put Korea on a track of
      health, hope, and economic growth. In the decades since the war, both
      Korea's economy and its Rotary club membership have grown enormously.
      I feel there are two reasons for this. One is Koreans' desire to help
      others as we were once helped ourselves; we all want to pay back some
      of what was given to us. The other is the natural affinity Koreans
      have for the values of Rotary: integrity, honor, hard work, and
      fairness. Many of Rotary's core values are also core values in Korean
      business. Koreans know very well the lesson taught by Herbert J.
      Taylor, author of The Four-Way Test: We do not succeed professionally
      despite our ethical behavior; we succeed because of it.

      When Korean businesses interview potential employees, they look for
      what we call chim shin uro, or "pure heart." A person with a pure
      heart is someone who has personal integrity, a person who treats
      others with honor and respect and can always be counted on to do
      what's right. It is a highly valued trait in companies, and it is
      equally important in Rotary. As Rotarians, our integrity is what
      makes us successful in business, in service, and in life. "Pure
      heart" is what we in Rotary call Service Above Self.

      Koreans also talk about work as chip an. Chip an means "inside the
      house." It is a way to talk about how important our work is to us,
      how our companies are like our families. Our businesses and the
      people in them should be treated with respect, honor, and dignity
      because, Koreans believe, good personal relationships are the basis
      for good business. We in Rotary also believe that honest, open
      relationships with customers, co-workers, and employees are
      important, as are our relationships with all our fellow Rotarians and
      those we serve through Rotary.

      True service gives us pure hearts when we bring it "inside the
      house." This is the reality behind Service Above Self. This is the
      reality of Rotary, the reality that inspires us and challenges us
      every day.

      Dong Kurn (D.K.) Lee
      President, Rotary International

      Courtesy: eFlash_Rotary