1415: Louis Piconi online on What the Gates Foundation Gift Means to Rotary

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      What the Gates Foundation Gift Means to Rotary

      Participate in an on-line discussion with
      Rotary Foundation Trustee and PolioPlus Partners Co-Chair Louis Piconi

      What wonderful news we got this week about the $100 million challenge
      gift to Our Rotary Foundation from the Bill and Melinda Gates
      Foundation. What a proud moment for all of us when we read the RI
      press release, or saw it in the newspaper, or heard it on TV or on
      the radio, or read it on the Internet. It was wonderful to share the
      news at our Rotary meetings and listen to the collective expressions
      of joy from the members.

      But now that the warm glow is starting to fade, many Rotarians are
      starting to ask Rotary leaders"What does the Gates gift really mean
      for Rotary?", "Do we have to raise more money?", "How will this
      affect annual fund giving?", "Will PolioPlus Partners donations
      count toward the challenge?" I suspect most of us cannot really
      answer the many, many questions being asked. We need information.

      To help sort this out, and to help answer some of the questions
      floating around Rotary meetings, Rotary Foundation Trustee (and co-
      chair of the PolioPlus Partners Task Force) Lou Piconi has agreed to
      participate in an on-line discussion on this and other Foundation
      subjects. The International Computer Users Fellowship of Rotarians
      (ICUFR) has generously agreed to once again make its "Community
      Forums" Internet site available so that Rotarians around the world
      can discuss the Gates Foundation gift, its impact on Rotary and our
      clubs, and other Foundation subjects with one of the most
      knowledgeable Rotarians.

      The on-line discussion with Trustee Piconi will take place over a 51
      hour period beginning at 900 A..M., EST, on Monday, December 10th and
      ending at Noon EST on Wednesday, December 12, 2007. This informative,
      and perhaps provocative, discussion with Trustee Piconi will take
      place at the web site http: //www2.icufr.org

      To ask Trustee Piconi questions and to participate in the discussion,
      Rotarians must register in the Forum. To do that, go to the website
      and click on 'Register' at the top section of the opening page of the
      Community Forums http //www2.icufr.org . A 'Terms' page will next
      appear and, once you accept the terms, you will automatically go to
      the 'Registration' page. Please complete all 'required' information.
      When you register, please make sure you make a personal, private
      record of the 'User Name' and 'Password' you decide to use when
      registering in the Community Forums. It will be necessary to add your
      club name and district, and additional information in the profile, if
      you wish.

      After you "register", you will receive a confirming email from an
      ICUFR volunteer confirming your registration. After receiving the
      confirming email, you must post messages and participate in other
      services on the web site. Registering for the Community Forums
      carries no obligation, and you will not be placed on an email list as
      a result of registering.

      You also may enter the Forum as a 'guest' and read the discussion in
      the Community Forum but you will not be able to 'post' without
      registering.

      We suggest you go to the ICUFR's Community Forums now, register and
      then look around for a while to get a 'feel' for the Community
      Forums. Post a message or two in any of the sections and topics, make
      some friends, and be ready for the discussion with Trustee Lou
      Piconi. On Monday, December 10th, on or after 900 A.M. EST, you can
      log into the ICUFR's Community Forums, and be ready to go. Scroll
      down to 'HOT TOPICS', click on 'The Rotary Foundation' and then click
      on 'Discussion with Trustee Louis Piconi". Then fire away with your
      questions about the impact of the Gates Foundation gift and any other
      questions about The Rotary Foundation.

      We sincerely will appreciate you passing this message along to other
      Rotarians. Please post it on your district or club web site, publish
      it in your district and club newsletter, and forward it to all
      Rotarians in your email address book. In the meantime, if you have
      any questions, you can ask them in the ICUFR's COMMUNITY FORUMS in
      the 'Computer Help and Ideas' section under the topic of 'Help Using
      this Forum', or, alternatively, write to me at dwm @...
      and I'll help with your questions.

      See you on-line on Monday, December 10th.

      Source: Dan Mooers, PRID,Zone 31 Coordinator,PolioPlus Partners Task
      Force, Director, ICUFR
      Courtesy: eFlash_Rotary