1303: R I President's June Message

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      June 2007

      Dear fellow Rotarians,

      Nearly a year ago, I wrote on this page that, as Rotarians, "we are
      not content to let matters stay the way they have always been, in our
      clubs or in our communities. We are the ones who ask, Why not us?"

      In the last year, I have been privileged to meet thousands of
      Rotarians who have asked themselves that very question and risen to
      its challenge. I have seen projects that have astounded me with their
      creativity and their ambition, and projects that came to fruition
      through an incredible degree of thought, planning, and insight. I
      have seen clubs overcome all sorts of barriers to deal with the true
      problems facing their communities. And I have seen all of this done
      with warmth, grace, and the skill born of local knowledge – and,
      often, with the support of our Rotary Foundation.

      Every project I have seen has impressed me in its own way.The
      projects that have impressed me the most, however, have been those
      addressing a need that no one has been able to meet before, whether
      because of a lack of resources, a lack of ability, or simply a lack
      of awareness.Sometimes the problem was obvious and acknowledged, such
      as an ill-equipped clinic or a polluted water source. Sometimes the
      problem was never openly mentioned, such as the dilemma faced every
      month by girls attending schools without bathrooms. What I have seen
      this year is that whether the need is for water filters, blood banks,
      HIV treatment, toilet stalls, or literacy, Rotarians are finding what
      needs to be done – and doing it.

      The projects that stand out in my mind the most are those that are
      meeting real needs and quietly changing lives. I will always remember
      the Rotary club project that's bringing simple, yet effective, low-
      cost prosthetic hands to amputees, returning to them employability
      and self-sufficiency; the Rotary clubsupported library in Hsinchu,
      Taiwan, that gives so many more children access to books; the Rotary
      club-sponsored classroom that's educating children living in the
      tuberculosis ward of an African hospital; and the Rotary club-built
      school for autistic children, for whom there had been no services in
      the area.

      These are just a few of the projects that have truly made a
      difference.There is no need for exaggeration or hyperbole here: These
      projects have very literally moved the courses of lives by giving
      people education, improved health, and a real chance at a better
      future. In some cases, Rotarians invested tremendous resources of
      time, energy, and their own funds. In others, all that was needed was
      a knowledgeable and caring person to step in, look around, and do
      what needed to be done.

      It has been a great joy this year to see how Rotarians all over the
      world are choosing to Lead the Way. I look forward to continuing with
      you in this great task for many more years to come. Lorna and I thank
      you for your many kindnesses to us.This year has changed our lives.

      W.B. (Bill) Boyd
      President, Rotary International

      Courtesy: eFlash_Rotary