1273: TRF Chair's March Message

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2007
      Working for peace

      Luis Vicente Giay

      March 2007

      Dear family of Rotary,

      The Rotary Centers for International Studies in peace and conflict
      resolution represent the educational and peace initiatives to which
      The Rotary Foundation has given priority in the area of educational
      programs.

      The six Rotary Centers for International Studies operate in
      collaboration with seven prestigious universities worldwide. The
      Rotary Foundation sponsors up to 60 Rotary World Peace Fellows who
      enroll in a two-year master's degree program at one of the Rotary
      Centers — as many as 10 fellows per center — to focus on
      international relations and the achievement of peace and conflict
      resolution. Each center organizes an annual seminar where the fellows
      present their research and projects concerning peace, goodwill, and
      international understanding. This research is publicized throughout
      the Rotary world and by international media.

      These fellowships are financed with donations from the districts,
      individual Rotarians, and the World Fund. The Trustees of The Rotary
      Foundation have approved a plan to raise US$95 million by 30 June
      2015, to establish a fund to ensure financing for the Rotary Centers
      program in perpetuity.

      Today, there are 285 former and current Rotary World Peace Fellows,
      and more than 200 of them will gather 14-16 June for the Rotary World
      Peace Symposium in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. This event, part of the
      annual RI Convention, will focus on academics, with the direct
      participation of Rotarians and peace fellows. This is a unique
      opportunity to observe the amazing progress of the Rotary Centers
      program. The symposium will include excellent speakers and allow
      fellows and Rotarians ample time to interact. I urge you all to
      participate in this meeting. Witnessing the exceptional achievements
      of our fellows firsthand is certain to renew your confidence.

      The Rotary Centers represent Rotary's commitment to the cause of
      world peace and understanding by contributing to the formation of the
      next generation of community and world leaders dedicated to
      mediating, preventing, and solving world conflicts, and tackling the
      difficult problems that cause them. Based on what we have achieved
      thus far, we are definitely headed in the right direction.

      Sincerely,
      Luis Vicente Giay
      Trustee Chair, The Rotary Foundation, 2006-07

      Courtesy: eFlash_Rotary