1166: Rotarians reach out to assist after earthquake

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Rotarians reach out to assist after earthquake

      Dear Rotarians :

      We are deeply saddened to learn of the recent earthquake in
      Indonesia. We are touched by the commitment of Rotarians to assist
      the communities affected by this disaster, which has taken the lives
      of more than 5,000 people and left thousands homeless.

      RI's International Service Programs section is continuing to provide
      information regarding club and district relief efforts on the RI Web
      site (www.rotary.org/programs/wcs/disaster/reliefefforts.html).
      Additional club and district relief efforts will be posted on the Web
      site as they are reported to RI. Please continue to check the Web
      site regularly regarding opportunities to assist those affected by
      the disaster. Rotarians wishing to contribute funds, donated goods,
      or both, directly to club and district relief projects may visit the
      Web site for opportunities to work with Rotarians in the affected
      areas.

      As always, we encourage you to work with organizations such as UNICEF
      and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent
      Societies, Doctors Without Borders and grassroots Rotary projects,
      ShelterBox and Aquabox, to meet the immediate needs of victims
      affected by the disaster.

      Thank you for your continued commitment to helping those in need and
      in demonstrating Service Above Self.

      Sincerely,

      Carl-Wilhelm Stenhammar
      RI President