1153: Frank and Gloria Rita Devlyn inducted into the Arch C. Klumph Society

  • Sunil K Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Rotary Foundation honors donors

      By Vukoni Lupa-Lasaga
      Rotary International News

      A week filled with news of generous giving to Rotary kicked off on 24
      April with the induction of Past RI President and Rotary Foundation
      Trustee Chair Frank J. Devlyn and his wife into the Arch C. Klumph
      Society at RI World Headquarters in Evanston, Illinois, USA.

      Three other couples also were inducted into the society this week,
      and receptions were held in their honor. The portraits of all
      inductees now hang permanently in the Arch C. Klumph Gallery, which
      honors couples and individual donors whose cumulative gifts to the
      Foundation total US$250,000 or more.

      The induction of Frank and Gloria Rita Devlyn at the Monday event,
      which was dubbed Mexico Day, was historic. It was the first time a
      past RI president and trustee chair has been inducted into the Arch
      C. Klumph Society. The Devlyns, who are from Mexico City, are the
      first Latin American members of the prestigious society.

      "This was something that Gloria Rita and I decided that we should do
      to show our love for the Foundation," said Devlyn in remarks at the
      induction.

      Devlyn stressed the importance to everyone of dedicating their
      thinking, talents, time, and treasure — "the four Ts," he said — to
      what they love. He called on Rotarians to give to the Foundation so
      the good works of Rotary can benefit more people.

      "It may be $100, $250, or any amount that you can afford," said
      Devlyn. "The same thing that I've done for my business and church, I
      am doing for Rotary. If you love something, you make it grow. You try
      to help it change with the times."

      In a presentation that preceded the unveiling of the inductees'
      portrait, Past RI President Luis Vicente Giay, Trustee Vice Chair Ray
      Klinginsmith, and Past RI Director T.D. Griley provided highlights of
      Devlyn's outstanding service to Rotary. Griley, who was aide to the
      president during Devlyn's year in office, read a congratulatory
      letter from Past RI Vice President Louis Piconi.

      Attendees included past RI presidents Jonathan Majiyagbe and Bhichai
      Rattakul, RI General Secretary Ed Futa, RI President-nominee Wilfrid
      J. Wilkinson, current and incoming trustees, and past and current
      governors from RI districts 4180 and 4190 ( Mexico). Carlos Manuel
      Sada Solana, the consulate general of Mexico in Chicago, and several
      members of the Devlyn family also attended.

      Past RI Vice President Frank Collins and his wife, Celia, and H.
      Bradley Jenkins, RI representative to the United Nations in New York,
      and his wife, Lavinia, were inducted into the Arch Klumph Society on
      25 April. The following day, Paul Caruso, past governor of District
      7230 (Bermuda; part of New York, USA), and his wife, Gail, became the
      fourth couple inducted into the society this week.

      The society and the gallery are named after Arch C. Klumph, RI's
      sixth president, whose vision inspired the establishment of The
      Rotary Foundation.

      Courtesy: eFlash_Rotary