Re: [eCS] OT: Analog to Digital

  • Stuart Updike
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
      N_Woodruff@... wrote:
      > This is what I use....
      >
      > http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4985
      >
      > Nathan
      Hello Nathan,

      Thank you for both of your emails. I really appreciate your help.

      I've attached a picture of my car just in case you are curious.

      From what I've read so far, it appears that the Maxim ICs will raise
      flags when the battery voltage gets too high or too low, but can they
      report the current battery voltage to a computer in a digital form?

      My desire is to be able to run a program on my computer and have it
      start recording eight columns of battery voltages starting on command
      and ending on command. I would also like to be able to record at the
      same time what the total 48 volt battery pack voltage is and the current
      amperage that the motor is drawing. In that way I could run a test for a
      mile or so and compare individual battery voltages and isolate one that
      is bad under a load.

      I did a little programming about 40 years ago and I want to get back
      into C++, but my life's demands keep getting in the way!

      Thanks again for your help,

      Stu Updike
      Bedford, Texas
      USA

    • N_Woodruff@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
        You would have to build your own circuits to integrate this IC into your application. I'm good with a soldering gun and IC design so I usually roll my own.

        If all you are doing is something simple like that, why don't you look into something like this????

        http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+287.htm

        Nathan

        PS... The pictures don't make it through the yahoo group. You would have to sent them to me via private e-mail.

        -------------- Original message from Stuart Updike <StuUpdike@...>: --------------

        N_Woodruff@... wrote:
        > This is what I use....
        >
        > http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4985
        >
        > Nathan
        Hello Nathan,

        Thank you for both of your emails. I really appreciate your help.

        I've attached a picture of my car just in case you are curious.

        From what I've read so far, it appears that the Maxim ICs will raise
        flags when the battery voltage gets too high or too low, but can they
        report the current battery voltage to a computer in a digital form?

        My desire is to be able to run a program on my computer and have it
        start recording eight columns of battery voltages starting on command
        and ending on command. I would also like to be able to record at the
        same time what the total 48 volt battery pack voltage is and the current
        amperage that the motor is drawing. In that way I could run a test for a
        mile or so and compare individual battery voltages and isolate one that
        is bad under a load.

        I did a little programming about 40 years ago and I want to get back
        into C++, but my life's demands keep getting in the way!

        Thanks again for your help,

        Stu Updike
        Bedford, Texas
        USA

      • Piersante Sestini
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
          The cheaper/simple gizmo I can think of is the DI-148U starter kit at
          www.dataq.com (about 50 US$).
          It has 8 analog inputs measuring -10 to +10 V with a resolution of 10
          bits (0.02 V), sampling up to 240 per sec, connecting through USB

          I doubt that it comes with os/2 software, but writing a program that
          reads an USB port twice per second should not be too difficult to write
          (although I don't know how to do it).

          Piersante

          > I have a battery powered automobile that has eight 6 volt batteries. I
          > would like to develop a program for periodic testing of the batteries
          > that would record their voltages once or twice per second. Does anyone
          > know anything about the hardware that would convert the analog battery
          > voltage into a digital equivalent?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Stu Updike
          > Bedford, Texas
          > USA

        • Stuart Updike
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
            Piersante Sestini wrote:
            > The cheaper/simple gizmo I can think of is the DI-148U starter kit at
            > www.dataq.com (about 50 US$).
            > It has 8 analog inputs measuring -10 to +10 V with a resolution of 10
            > bits (0.02 V), sampling up to 240 per sec, connecting through USB
            >
            > I doubt that it comes with os/2 software, but writing a program that
            > reads an USB port twice per second should not be too difficult to write
            > (although I don't know how to do it).
            >
            > Piersante
            Hello Piersante,

            Thank you for the information. I have a friend who can write the
            software. :o)

            Have a great day!

            Stuart