Re: [eCS] Re: eCS w/AMD 64 processors

  • Julian Thomas
    Message 1 of 174 , Jan 21, 2005
      In <css1rl+r32m@...>, on 01/21/05
      at 11:05 PM, "morrownr" <morrownr@...> typed:

      >Based on my observations buying a AMD 64 system for use with eCS is a
      >non-starter currently. Some have got it to work by installing to a
      >harddrive in a non-64 bit system and then moving the drive to the 64bit
      >system. Overall it is problematic.

      That's one way. What I did is another option:

      Install to a partition on another system - make sure it's in the
      installable area on the drive and that it has the same drive letter you
      want for the ecs boot partition on the A64. Override hardware detection
      as needed with the appropriate devices on the A64. If the new machine has
      a SATA drive, be sure that you have DANIS506 at the 1.7.0 level on a
      diskette with a label of BOOT_UPDATE. You will need to use this when you
      boot the ecs cd on the a64 machine.

      Once installation is done, zip -rS the entire boot partition, burn it to
      CD (or if you have another OS on the A64 machine, use it to get the zip
      file into a FAT16 partition on the A64). Boot the ecs CD, select
      Maintenance Console, go to command line, and after setting up and
      formatting the boot partition as HPFS, installing boot mgr, and setting
      the boot partition in boot mgr, unzip the zip file to the prepared
      partition. Reboot from hard disk and you should be home.

      Sounds worse than it is.

      --
      Julian Thomas: jt@... http://jt-mj.net
      In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!
      Message 174 of 174 , Feb 4, 2005
        On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:40:00 +0100 (CET), Studio Legale Sutti wrote:

        >BTW, replying to another message, it is not entirely true that we have been running
        >after IT developments during all our OS/2 experience. In the field of 32bitness, OS/2
        >suffered instead the same objection ("what's the point?") which now are raised with
        >regard to 64bit, but had a definite time lead.

        The 32bit advantage of that time was to a lesser degree the number of
        bits or addressable memory, but more the improved multitasking
        capabilities. The 386 was the first x86 processor with *paged*
        protected mode.

        But back to the bits. IIRC modern 32bit processors already have a 64bit
        memory interface and extensions over the (already reached) 4 GB limit
        exist. Perhaps they would be an easier goal (at least for the OS/2
        host)?

        Sebastian