OS/2 Client based on WSeB - some thoughts

  • Chuck McKinnis
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2000
      I have wondered for years why IBM chose to market PC software
      without any provision for an annual licensing/maintenance fee.
      The Software Choice offering and the Passport subscription, to
      me, are rather lame attempts to correct that mistake.

      However, lumping everything under the sun into one package
      makes no sense whatsoever. Why can't I pick and chose?

      A good example of intelligent marketing of maintenance is
      Bruce Landeck and his InCharge accounting package. I am more
      than happy to pay $40 a year for regular upgrades and
      maintenance, and he has an incentive to continue development.

      For a WSeB based OS/2 client (with SMP support) and its major
      components (TCP/IP, Netscape, and Java) I would happily fork
      out $100/year for improvements and regular support. If I
      wanted one-on-one support that should, IMHO, be an available
      extra charge option.
    • kimwaic@deltanet.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2000

        > For a WSeB based OS/2 client (with SMP support) and its
        major
        > components (TCP/IP, Netscape, and Java) I would happily fork
        > out $100/year for improvements and regular support. If I
        > wanted one-on-one support that should, IMHO, be an available
        > extra charge option.

        First of all, if we were to be successful and IBM agrees to
        work with us, we WON'T be doing an "OS/2 client". That's an
        IBM brand name. We WON'T be doing an "WSeB client" neither.
        We are attempting to create a "eComStation" and as I explained
        above, it's a Managed Client - not a fat client per se.

        We have indeed been promoting the concept of fee based
        desktop. We even encourage "giving away" the hardware in
        exchange to a monthly service charge for a DESKTOP.
      • Philip R. Mann
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2000
          --- In eComStation@egroups.com, kimwaic@d... wrote:

          > First of all, if we were to be successful and IBM agrees to
          > work with us, we WON'T be doing an "OS/2 client". That's
          an
          > IBM brand name. We WON'T be doing an "WSeB client"
          neither.
          > We are attempting to create a "eComStation" and as I
          explained
          > above, it's a Managed Client - not a fat client per se.

          Managed by whom? The answer to that would help me understand
          what's being proposed --- so far it sounds like a solution
          only for large enterprises (or at least those with 5 or 10
          computers whose features are to be centrally controlled)
        • kimwaic@deltanet.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2000
            --- In eComStation@egroups.com, "Philip R. Mann" <prmlaw@b...>
            > Managed by whom?

            Your ISP, ASP, yourself, ...

            See earlier message. (#19, I think?)

            > The answer to that would help me understand
            > what's being proposed --- so far it sounds like a solution
            > only for large enterprises (or at least those with 5 or 10
            > computers whose features are to be centrally controlled)

            The Internet has turn the whole world into a "large"
            enterprise. While you're reading this message, you are part
            of a network consisting of hundreds and millions of computers.
            It's very rare to find "small" networks with only 5 to 10
            computers these days. Everybody is connected!
          • Philip R. Mann
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2000
              On Thu, 04 May 2000 06:08:37 -0000, kimwaic@... wrote:

              >> Managed by whom?
              >
              >Your ISP, ASP, yourself, ...

              My ISP is lucky to provide a newsserver. If I were using Win xxx, I'd
              probably add that its lucky to provide a connection (based upon the xDSL
              newsgroup messages).

              Don't have an ASP and don't see a need for one if its going to control what
              I use.

              Myself --- I have 3 computers (with totally different hardware -- DFI
              custom made Pentium Pro 200 desktop, IBM Thinkpad PIII 500 and Toshiba
              486-75 laptop) running Warp 4 fp 12 [fp 7 on the Toshiba] with TCP/IP [to
              connect all to the DSL access to the Internet] and peer services. Don't
              quite see what I'd be managing in my situation).

              Hope to attend the NYPC meeting next week so maybe I'll understand.

              ----- PRM -----
            • Jim Burke
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2000
                Let's talk budgets.

                ISP #1 = $21.99 per month
                ISP #2 = $11.99 per month (guess which one that is)
                DSL line $49.99 per month
                extra phone charge to connect in rural america $17 per month

                I'm over $100 per month.

                Ok so I drop ISP #1 and #2. Can you compete with $34 per month?

                Do I save the $10 a month that IBM wants for its Software Choice and get
                all
                the enhancements to os/2?

                jimburke@...
                > > The answer to that would help me understand
                > > what's being proposed --- so far it sounds like a solution
                > > only for large enterprises (or at least those with 5 or 10
                > > computers whose features are to be centrally controlled)
                >
                > The Internet has turn the whole world into a "large"
                > enterprise. While you're reading this message, you are part
                > of a network consisting of hundreds and millions of computers.
                > It's very rare to find "small" networks with only 5 to 10
                > computers these days. Everybody is connected!

              • Niels Jensen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2000
                  ** Reply to message from eComStation@egroups.com on 5 May 2000 09:10:59 -0000

                  > Subject: Re: Re: OS/2 Client based on WSeB - some thoughts
                  >
                  > Let's talk budgets.
                  >
                  > ISP #1 = $21.99 per month
                  > ISP #2 = $11.99 per month (guess which one that is)
                  > DSL line $49.99 per month
                  > extra phone charge to connect in rural america $17 per month
                  >
                  > I'm over $100 per month.
                  >
                  > Ok so I drop ISP #1 and #2. Can you compete with $34 per month?
                  >
                  > Do I save the $10 a month that IBM wants for its Software Choice and get
                  > all the enhancements to os/2?

                  I just wonder if such a comparison is fair?
                  I would definitely like a scheme, which offered some kind of automatic backup
                  for whatever I have installed. A number of years ago I approach some IBM PC
                  Nordic executives about a scheme, which would allow the average home user to
                  backup their system to an IBM mainframe for a small storage fee - a few dollars
                  a month - and if you ever needed the backup you payed to access it, e.g. $25 for
                  a partial restore and maybe $50 for a full restore. It would mean I didn't have
                  to play around with backup equipment. Well IBM is out of the ISP business, so
                  maybe someone else will pick up the idea.

                  With kind regards from Niels Jensen
                  Living Safely in Slangerup northwest of Copenhagen, Denmark