Re:

  • kimwaic@deltanet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2000
      --- In eComStation@egroups.com, "John Blankenburg"
      <watchmkr@v...> wrote:
      > I would be highly pleased to purchase a new fat client -
      > esp if it has SMP support....
      > John Blankenburg

      Mmmmmm.....may be I didn't make myself clear enough. I am
      NOT in the fat client business. As I indicated before, there
      is really no market for that. What I am wondering is whether
      a non-remote boot eComStation client created with components
      os WSeB utilizing our WiseManager technology would help our
      eComStation business.

      For instance, let say you have a notebook, instead of doing
      CID install, what if I can attach the blank notebook to the
      network, have an environment created exactly like the other
      diskless stations, then, when everything is ready, execute
      some kind of program much like the .... (what did we call it?
      Docking? No....mmmm...the one that let you detach the
      notebook and still be able to access files like it's connected
      to the server still) ... and detach from the network.

      When you check in to the hotel room, power it on, and it run
      things just like you were connected to the network.

      It's not exactly a fat-client - because that's really not the
      kind of business we are in - but I think it's better.

      Of course, eventually, we can have the NFS like Duane
      suggested, and the server can be a Warp Server, a Linux
      server, or even another OS/2 machine.