Don't be a lurker!!! Speak up.

  • kimwaic@deltanet.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      It's your chance to help shape the future of OS/2. Invite
      your friends to participate. Spread the word.

      Unlike lots of people at comp.os2.advocacy, I am not doing
      this to kill time. This is a serious effort to do something
      for OS/2. When was the last time something happened that
      made you feel good being an OS/2 user? Whether that
      something might happen depends on your input. There are
      people out there saying that there's only a handful of OS/2
      user left - outside of the enterprise and in applications
      involving machines. If that's the case, no business case can
      be make to revive OS/2.

      So, speak up or else I can't hear them. What do we need in a
      potential new client based on components of WSeB? No, I can't
      change the way the SIQ or the exit list works. I might not
      be able to affort the upfront payment to have DVD/Movie - but
      I still would like to know what's needed to make up lost time
      over the last few years. Are we using a "legacy" operating
      system as some people have said?
    • russell_kneebone@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2000
        > I still would like to know what's needed to make up lost time
        > over the last few years. Are we using a "legacy" operating
        > system as some people have said?

        What's needed for the future e-business mainstream is a browser that
        will support XML/XSL at least as well as IE5.x

        I am not sure whether the effort to port Mozilla to OS/2 is still
        ongoing, but without a next generation Netscape or Opera OS/2 is
        stuffed.

        Plugins would be nice but I think all the current rich-media plug-
        ins, e.g. Shockwave will be less important to e-business than XML and
        XSL support.

        What Apple is doing with XML in OS X is pretty nice too, replacing
        configuration files with human readable and GUI presentable XML
        documents. A thin-server version of OS/2 that could be installed as
        a ADSL gateway/router/firewall after pre-configuration via XML files
        would make a pretty neat in-home product too.
      • lhadley1@home.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2000
          This is a little late - I'm just joing this group now, but the
          most important things I see OS/2 needing are a common software
          installer interface - it's too hard for non-techies to install
          a lot of software, particularly the gnu type stuff - and
          better USB support. In the coming years *everything* is going
          to be USB, printers, scanners, joysticks, you name it. OS/2
          will be left in the dust if these peripherals can't be
          universally supported.

          (I understand that the author of XFolder is creating something
          he hopes will fill the need for a common installer)