e-Clippings 6.05.2003

  • moehlert2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2003
      e-Clippings 6.05.2003 "Legero. Cogito. Scribero."

      "The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice
      what we are for what we could become." - Charles Du Bos

      "It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
      between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the
      vital connection between them." - Leo Buscaglia
      Buzzwords:
      Hyperactive Academia
      http://www.kairosnews.org/modules.php?
      op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1925&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

      Social Software
      http://www.headshift.com/moments/archive/sss2.html
      http://cl.com.com/Click?q=11-l8riI2-9PLuhBANNF0snu3IhqIRR
      http://www.ozzie.net/blog/

      RSS
      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html?page=1
      http://www.downes.ca/files/RSS_Educ.htm
      This email is provided for information purposes only. Mention or
      discussion of a product, company or person does not represent any
      official endorsement or criticism of the same. All authors and
      organizations retain complete copyright.
      The Future of e-Learning Models and the Language We Use to Describe
      Them: The objectives of this study are to establish a baseline of
      current e-learning models from all sides of the equation –
      producer, purchaser and consumer. The research will explore:
      How valid are our current models of e-learning and how do they
      limit/enable us in thinking about the future?
      Based on those models that are valid – what are some models we
      can expect to be prevalent in 3-5 years?
      Where are the connections and gaps in our current set of language
      that we use to describe the overall environment of e-learning?
      http://www.masie.com/researchgrants/#future
      Special issue of 'Educational Technology & Society' (ISSN 1436-4522)
      Call for papers: Theme "Ontologies and the Semantic Web for
      E-learning"
      * Important dates:
      Deadlines for full papers: December 15, 2003
      Review results: March 15, 2004
      Final version of papers:April 15, 2004
      Publication:October 2004
      Submission procedure: All submissions should be forwarded as attached
      files (MS-Word or RTF) to Prof Demetrios G Sampson at Sampson@...
      NEWS

      Internet is dying - Prof. Lessig By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
      Lessig, a law professor with a cult following amongst technophiles.
      and
      http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/lessig/blog/archives/2003_05.shtml#001180

      (NY Times requires free registration)
      Sony Previews Many Talents of PlayStation: By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:
      May 29, 2003: TOKYO, May 28 (AP) — Sony introduced a PlayStation
      2 video game console today that has a built-in DVD recorder and hard
      drive for storing data, part of a strategy to combine technologies in
      hopes of raising the company's brand and restoring its profitability.
      The new PlayStation 2, called the PSX, will go on sale in Japan this
      year and is planned for the United States and Europe early next year,
      said Ken Kutaragi, Sony's executive deputy president. He declined to
      say how much the console would cost.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/29/technology/29SONY.html?
      pagewanted=print&position=

      Telcos Agree to Lay Fat Pipes By Associated Press: 02:20 PM May. 29,
      2003 PT: NEW YORK -- The nation's three biggest regional phone
      companies announced an agreement Thursday to standardize the
      construction of residential fiber-optic networks, in hopes of getting
      ultra-fast Internet connections to homes more quickly and less
      expensively.
      http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59035,00.html

      **Hmmm, huge HR software company…enterprise-wide integration,
      hmm…
      Update: PeopleSoft Swallows J.D. Edwards: The new company will have
      about $2.8 billion in annual revenue, 13,000 employees and more than
      11,000 customers in 150 countries.
      http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,81732,00.html?nlid=PM
      http://dc.internet.com/news/article.php/2215341

      TRENDS SECTION

      Smarter, Simpler Social: An introduction to online social software
      methodology Lee Bryant : Version 1.0, 18 April 2003
      http://www.headshift.com/moments/archive/sss2.html

      (NY Times requires free registration)
      With Wireless, an English City Reaches Across Digital Divide
      By MARK LANDLER: May 31, 2003: MANCHESTER, England, May 29 —
      Three years ago, Shirley Hughes lived a life of dreary routine,
      collecting welfare checks, bringing up two children as a single
      mother, passing her evenings in front of the television. Today, she
      teaches her neighbors how to use computers at a local college while
      studying for a teaching certificate. At home, she skips in favor of
      the Internet, which she surfs avidly, downloading patterns for
      patchwork quilts, her favorite hobby.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/31/technology/31WIFI.html?
      pagewanted=print&position=

      LET'S TALK ABOUT HIGH-TECH TEAMWORK TOOLS: By Patrick Houston
      GROUPWARE: What's the best tool for collaborating with coworkers? Pat
      looks at one company that says the phone makes the most sense--and
      explains Microsoft's upcoming, PC-centric alternatives.
      http://cl.com.com/Click?q=32-Gx5IIrQC8BgStdEu3fwhUYxCNNuR

      Media More Diverse? Not Really By Joanna Glasner: 02:00 AM May. 30,
      2003 PT It's easy to argue that media options are more diverse than
      ever -- Americans can sit in their living room, turn on the digital
      cable set-top box and flip through 500 channels, or surf through a
      dozen news sites on the computer.
      http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59015,00.html

      D-Lib: Developing a Content Management System-based Web Site
      This article describes the development of a content management
      system(CMS)-based web site for the Joint Information Systems
      Committee (JISC), a UK strategic advisory body. It gives a nice
      overview of the development process.
      http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may03/kirriemuir/05kirriemuir.html

      EMERGING TECH SECTION

      (NY Times requires free registration)
      If You Behave Yourself, I'll Print You a Toy
      By PETER WAYNER: May 29, 2003: VIEWED through the fantastic lens of
      science fiction, three-dimensional printers seem as amazing as the
      transporters in "Star Trek." In goes a digital idea of a thing and
      out comes the thing itself.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/29/technology/circuits/29howw.html?
      pagewanted=print&position=

      Business Week: Macromedia updates e-learning tools: "The new
      Authorware version, 7, includes a number of enhancements intended to
      streamline the process of putting together such presentations, most
      notably the ability to import files created in Microsoft's PowerPoint
      software."
      http://www.businessweek.com/technology/cnet/stories/1011757.htm

      Real-time apps: Collaboration only a click away: We take an in-depth
      look at presence-based applications, which are starting to come
      online in the enterprise. DocFinder: 6146
      http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2003/0602presence.html

      Web-services technology transforms staid CRM apps: And we analyze the
      way Web Services are helping to create "composite" applications that
      could also transform collaborative computing in the enterprise.
      DocFinder: 6147
      http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2003/0602composite.html

      Allied Data Technologies Introduces Wristwatch with Memory Capacity:
      Tornado UMW: SPIJKENISSE, NETHERLANDS - June 2, 2003 (INB) - Allied
      Data's retail division TORNADO continues expanding its product
      portfolio. Tornado will soon introduce its latest ultra portable
      solution: the Tornado USB Memory Watch (UMW). The Tornado UMW is a
      stylish designed wristwatch with built-in memory capacity.
      http://www.internetnewsbureau.com/archives/2003/june03/wristwatch.html

      MOBILE COMPUTING SECTION

      Research In Motion (RIM) Monday unveiled two new BlackBerry wireless
      handhelds, including its first model with a color display. http://www.
      thinkmobile.com/Content/Detail.asp?CTID=1&ID=6762

      Challenges And Opportunities For Wi-Fi: UCLA Professor Rajit Gadh
      outlines the opportunities and challenges currently facing the Wi-Fi
      community. Gadh oversees UCLA's wireless and mobile consortium.
      http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,81574,00.html?nlid=MW

      IDC Pictures Strong Growth For MMS: Multimedia messaging services
      (MMS) that allow mobile phone subscribers to send pictures, voice
      recordings and video clips to each other will enjoy strong growth
      over the next few years, according to a new report from IDC.
      http://www.thinkmobile.com/Content/Detail.asp?CTID=1&ID=6764

      HP's Summer of the iPaq: Hewlett-Packard plans to keep busy this
      summer with the release of a slew of new iPAQ Pocket PCs, including
      up to five new models in the low-end h1900 series, a new mid-range
      h2200 series, and an addition to its high-end h5000 series.
      http://www.thinkmobile.com/Content/Detail.asp?CTID=1&ID=6758

      Palm to Add Net Phoning to Wi-Fi Device - CNETNews.com
      Palm is joining forces with several partners to make more services
      available on its Tungsten C handheld, which comes with built-in Wi-Fi
      support. Palm is looking to add Net-phoning capabilities to the
      Tungsten C as well as additional security and the ability to more
      easily identify and use hot spots--areas where wireless Internet
      access is available through Wi-Fi.
      http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-1011216.html
      http://www.thinkmobile.com/Content/Detail.asp?CTID=1&ID=6754

      Fujitsu's versatile mobile workstation: The Celsius Mobile H is the
      big daddy of Fujitsu's diverse notebook line. It has features that
      you just won't find in most laptops, including a workstation-class
      graphics chip and a removable wireless keyboard.
      http://cl.com.com/Click?q=4e-0Y95InZ1aFMui6mBnryT01qlnErR

      From AvantGo:
      Nokia 3650 smart phone: Jennifer Weaver: Taking snapshots with your
      cell is, like, so last month. But Nokia's 3650 smart phone may
      inspire a whole new fad. Its camera captures and displays movie clips
      and still images, and lets you email them to friends and family. Four
      MB of internal memory plus an in-box 16 MB multimedia card hold up to
      1000 lower-res pictures. Best of all, My AvantGo works great on the
      Symbian OS (sync wirelessly or via Bluetooth!), as do other games and
      productivity apps. There's even a Midi synthesizer to compose your
      own ring tones. Get all this mobile madness for $149.99-$299.99,
      depending upon service plan.
      http://nokiausa.com/phones/3650?searchkey=av

      Witnet Adds Video to VoIP Software: Korean software developer Witnet
      International Friday announced that it has added video capability to
      its new mobile voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) software.
      http://www.thinkmobile.com/Content/Detail.asp?CTID=1&ID=6755

      Broadband A Go-Go: In city after city, high-speed wireless access may
      be the next Internet revolution.
      http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jun03/bb.html

      Cingular Chats Up Yahoo! Messenger: Cingular Wireless Thursday
      launched a partnership that will let its subscribers with SMS-enabled
      mobile phones communicate with Yahoo!
      http://www.thinkmobile.com/Content/Detail.asp?CTID=1&ID=6757

      GAMING SECTION

      GOT GAME?: the future of play By Andrew Phelps
      Friday, May 30, 2003: A New Kind of Game: I keep reading about the
      positive/negative aspect of 'online games' as if, somehow, they are
      completely devoid of any relationship between any other kind of
      game…
      http://www.corante.com/gotgame/

      SECURITY SECTION

      E-mail Virus Getting 'SoBig': Anti-virus firms are reporting 30,000
      interceptions in 84 countries.
      http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/2215451

      Protecting Organizations From Prying Wi-Fi Crackers: Some tips on
      what you can do to make your Wi-Fi network more secure from a man who
      insures such things for a living.
      http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,81739,00.html?nlid=MW

      HUMOR AND MISC. SECTION

      Artful Displays Track Data