e-Clippings: March 2, 2003

  • moehlert2001 <oehlert@adlnet.org>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2003
      e-Clippings: March 2, 2003

      "The search for static security - in the law and elsewhere - is
      misguided. The fact is security can only be achieved through constant
      change, adapting old ideas that have outlived their usefulness to
      current facts."
      William O. Douglas, 1898 - 1980

      "All I know to do is to light the candle that has been given to
      me."
      Fred McFeely Rogers, 1928 – 2003
      I forgot to mention last time that I have added two new sections:
      Mobile Computing and Gaming. I have been including items on these
      topics before but feel that they are at the point when they can
      logically hold their own sections. I am very interested in how these
      two areas converge on learning and hope you'll find something
      here of interest.
      Mark Oehlert, Editor

      **Later that day…
      You know sometimes, it's just like…cool, you know. I consider
      myself a bit of a veteran at this whole Web stuff. I remember when I
      thought a 14.4 was a screamer and when only a research lab would ever
      need a one GB hard drive. I remember my first URL and not knowing
      what it was (Jane's Defence btw). I remember having to launch
      telnet and WinSock and I could kick myself for ever getting rid of
      the original Mosaic browser I had. I also remember the heady mid to
      late 90's and the dot com bubble when the Web seemed to be giving
      birth in exponential numbers to amazingly cool sites, tools and ideas
      – and all for free!

      And yes – I remember coming back down to earth – lower case e
      – not the planet so much as the dirt – the bubble burst and
      content looked like it was headed to the peep show – insert .25$
      model – it still does in some ways. There are still ugly, choking
      copyright battles looming; there are cyber-civil right battles on the
      horizon that make Vernor Vinge in True Names look like an unbridled
      optimist – and so it has become somewhat easy to become jaded-
      but then –

      Then I do something seemingly minor, like install Opera 7.02
      (www.opera.com). Absolutely brilliant browser. So I start digging
      through all the old sites and bookmarks I have stored up and lo and
      behold – I find sites and ideas which punch X-15 "Glamorous
      Glenna" - like through my jaded veil and remind me that the Web is
      still a nascent glimmer of its potential and that good ideas and
      good content still have homes and readers and viewers. I include some
      of these faith-restoring finds below. Enjoy.
      M, editor

      http://www.icdlbooks.org/index.html: "The International
      Children's Digital Library (ICDL) is a 5-year research project to
      develop innovative software and a collection of books that
      specifically address the needs of children as readers.
      Interdisciplinary researchers from computer science, library studies,
      education, art, and psychology are working together with children to
      design this new library. With participants from around the world, the
      ICDL is building an international collection that reflects both the
      diversity and quality of children's literature. Currently, the
      collection includes materials donated from 27 cultures in 15
      languages."

      http://www.centenary.edu/~balexand/bookmarq.html: Mr. Bryan Alexander
      maintains a bookmark page like none other. You could spend a lifetime
      wandering through all the links on this page. From a link to Vuk
      Cosic's ASCII art to articles like; Chandler, "Technological or Media
      Determinism?" – the site is awash in the eclectic, the offbeat
      and the tres interesting.

      http://oddpost.com/: This is one of a growing company of products
      that makes me think that Outlook better be watching its Web-based
      back. A rich yet browser-based email program done with sass and style.

      http://manila.userland.com/ and http://radio.userland.com/: The
      former is a Web site development tool and the latter is a blog
      creation tool. Both look amazing intuitive and easy to use and are
      reasonably priced (after a free trial of course). More user-friendly
      on-ramps equals more diverse views available on the Web equals a
      richer experience for us all. Remember Jeff Goldblum's character
      in Jurassic Park when he makes some statement about how life finds a
      way? [to break free of constraints] It's tools like these that
      make me somewhat hopeful that the Web will be able to break free from
      the Draconian perversions of copyright that some would impose.

      http://www.mindjack.com/: I don't know if these guys were cool in
      high school but they are now! With a Board of Advisors that reads
      like "media hound/geek designs killer dinner party [Gareth
      Branwyn, Mark Frauenfelder, Mikki Halpin, Jon Lebkowsky, Howard
      Rheingold, Douglas Rushkoff] and a great crew of writers/reporters
      – this site really does provide "the beat of digital
      culture."

      http://www.threedegrees.com/: Direct from Microsoft –something
      very cool. Kinda like IM but with shared music and more – Gotta
      download this one and try. Who still doubts that IM in some way must
      be adopted by the corporate world?
      NEWS

      **Congrats to Avilar!
      Learning System Claims First SCORM 1.2 Certification: Avilar
      Technologies Inc. said its WebMentor Learning Management System (LMS)
      has been issued the first certificate of compliance with the SCORM
      specification, version 1.2, under the new certification program
      administered by the Academic ADL Co-Lab in Madison, Wisc. To be
      certified, an authorized Certification Testing Center must
      independently verify and validate the successful processing by the
      LMS of the SCORM Test Suite, Version 1.2.3. WebMentor passed the test
      at Run Time Environment level 3, which is the highest level of
      compliance, the company said. The Center auditors certifying
      WebMentor are from the Madison Area Technical College & UW-Learning
      Innovations of Madison, Wisc.

      MusicNet on AOL Tunes Up Again: Revamped service supports CD burning,
      multiple PCs

      **I know "toner cartrdige cases? Mark has lost it"! Sure, but
      readcarefully, Lexmark sued in this case based on copyright
      violations of the DMCA!
      LEXMARK WINS FIRST ROUND IN PRINTER SUIT: Case could determine the
      future of low-cost replacement toner cartridges.
      http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109596,tk,dn022803X,00.asp

      Thomson Job Impact Study Confirms Blended Learning Yields Up to 163
      Percent Increase in On-the-Job Performance: NAPERVILLE, Ill., Feb.
      24, 2003--NETg , a company specializing in corporate education and
      training and part of The Thomson Corp., announced that phase two of
      the Thomson Job Impact Study, "The Next Generation of Corporate
      Learning," further reinforces that a blended learning program
      incorporating a combination of e-learning, online instruction,
      simulations, texts, mentor/instructor support, and live
      classroom-based training has the power to significantly increase
      employee productivity. http://www.elearningmag.com
      /elearning/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=48123

      GAO: Improve acquisition training: A new General Accounting Office
      report urges agencies to improve their training for acquisition
      officials in light of rapidly changing rules.
      http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0210/web-gao-02-14-03.asp
      TRENDS SECTION

      It's Open Season on Spammers : Techies, attorneys, government
      officials team to tackle spam.

      INDUSTRY GROUP TAKES AIM AT SPAM: Engineers team on technical
      solution to hamper spam.
      http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109614,tk,dn022803X,00.asp

      More Than Half-Billion Online Globally: According to research, 580
      million people now have Internet access -- with nearly 170 million
      attributed to the U.S.
      http://cyberatlas.com/big_picture/geographics/arti
      cle/0,,5911_1593591,00.html

      Word Bursts Reveal Hot Topics: Cornell University researcher Jon
      Kleinberg has shown that you can learn a lot about what topics are
      becoming important at any given time by analyzing large collections
      of documents for sudden changes in content.
      http://www.technologyreview.com/offthewire/rnb_022503_2.asp

      INTEL, MARRIOTT TEAM TO PROMOTE WIRELESS LANS: Chip giant will
      provide wireless Internet access at hotels across the country.
      http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109573,tk,dn022703X,00.asp

      World - Microsoft moves to support P2P: Microsoft has revealed a
      testing version of software tools for its desktop Windows XP platform.
      http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=15149
      EMERGING TECH SECTION

      Tiny Battery May Power Next-Gen Gadgets:By Mike Martin: Part of the
      NewsFactor Network February 21, 2003: As cell phones, video cameras,
      computers, and scores of other electronic products continue to
      shrink, so must their batteries, which today contribute up to 35
      percent of a laptop computer's weight.
      http://wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/20819.html

      SAMSUNG SHRINKS OPTICAL DRIVES: New drive could boost storage in
      thinner, lighter notebooks.
      http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109598,tk,dn022803X,00.asp

      Content Management Tools Fail: Web content management tools often
      fail to live up to their promise, according to new research.
      http://cyberatlas.com/big_picture/applications/art
      icle/0,,1301_1718951,00.html

      REVIEW: SONY PORTABLE FILE SERVER: (Source: IDG.net) Sony's FSV-PGX1
      is certainly a hot little number. The device didn't draw much
      attention in the office until someone realized it includes a hard
      disk drive and wireless LAN access point.
      http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=788864

      Norway - Alternative internet browser battles Microsoft IE Goliath in
      mobile arena Having released a version of its browser that turns
      Microsoft sites into gobbledegook, alternative internet browser
      company Opera has said that the popular version of its software for
      mobile devices will never be made available for Microsoft-powered
      handsets.
      http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=15172

      from Syllabus
      "U. Minnesota-Duluth Builds Open Source Portfolio: The
      ePortfolio, which the university says is the first portfolio system
      created with open source software, will store educational records,
      work samples, resumes, and writing samples, as well as legal
      documents and other personal records in a secure, network-accessible
      system. Individuals will be encouraged to share program code changes
      with the university's Open Source Portfolio Initiative (OSPI) group.
      The ePortfolio system is currently used by 23,000 students, faculty,
      and staff. Under the university's "Technology for Life" plan,
      students may continue to use and enhance their personal ePortfolios
      throughout their lifetime."
      http://eportfolio.d.umn.edu or http://www.theospi.org

      ELITEGROUP OFFERS A $300 BAREBONE PC FOR HOBBYISTS: (Source: IDG.net)
      The barebone system offers greater customizability and easier
      upgradability than earlier Desknote models.
      http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=788785
      MOBILE COMPUTING SECTION

      DOD COULD SET WIRELESS POLICY NEXT MONTH: The Defense Department CIO
      is expected to sign a wireless policy next month that will set
      guidelines for using wireless devices across the department.
      http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/21260-1.html

      Who is the US Mobile Device User?: According to AvantGo, the mobile
      device user is generally male, between the ages of 35 and 50. The
      study determined that 23% of these users work in the tech industry
      and 43% use both a laptop and a PC.
      http://www.emarketer.com/news/article.php?1002085&
      c=newsltr&n=lead&t=ad

      Lindows Laptop Poised as PDA Killer? Posted by Jason Dunn @ 04:30 PM
      "High-speed wireless service is cropping up everywhere - "Starbucks,"
      college campuses and anywhere people gather. Staying connected to
      your data whenever and wherever you need it is smart and Lindows.com
      answers the call with its brand new Lindows Mobile PC, an affordable,
      ultra-lightweight, go-anywhere notebook!...At just 2.9 lbs, the $799
      Lindows Mobile PC is a featherweight, but it weighs in with such
      features as LindowsOS, a 933mhz VIA processor, 256MB RAM, USB 2.0,
      Firewire, Ethernet, and a crisp 12.1" TFT display, plus a PCMCIA slot
      to add even more functionality such as wireless networking.
      http://info.lindows.com/mobilepc/mobilepc.htm

      Overclocking Poses Risks to PDAs: New apps will speed your handheld
      devices, but may cause serious damage.

      Palm Cuts More Jobs: The company laid off about 50 people in its
      hardware unit, bringing its workforce cuts for the current quarter to
      just over 100 jobs.
      http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0%2C4902%2C78930%2C0.html?nlid=PM

      United Kingdom - Digital Bridges supplies mobile games to Vodafone
      and Telefonica Vodafone Global Content Services is to use a number of
      both Java and WAP games from Digital Bridges as part of
      Vodafone's Live service.
      http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=15183
      GAMING SECTION

      Getting into the Gaming Business: GameSpy's five-part series will
      school you on all you need to know about getting a job in the gaming
      business. By Steven L. Kent | Jan. 27-31, 2003
      http://www.gamespy.com/articles/january03/education/

      Horizons Family Portrait: A look at the characters of Artifact's
      upcoming Horizons. By The Horizons Team | Feb. 19, 2003
      Horizons is a next-generation, fantasy- themed, massively multiplayer
      online game. Based in the world of Istaria, Horizons allows thousands
      of players to take the roles of humans, fiends, and dragons to
      adventure together in the civilized and untamed regions of the world.
      http://www.gamespy.com/articles/february03/horizonsportrait/

      Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (PC)
      We touch down at NovaLogic for an exclusive all-access preview of
      their upcoming tactical shooter set in 1993 Somalia. By Sal "Sluggo"
      Accardo | February 23, 2003
      http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february03/blackhawkdownpc/

      Andrew Tepper on A Tale In The Desert: GameSpy talks with the lead
      designer of A Tale in The Desert, the upcoming Egyptian-themed MMORPG
      that will focus on cooperation rather than combat.
      By Bruce "Gwog" Ladewig | Feb. 6, 2003
      http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/january03/atitd/

      REPORT: MICROSOFT, EA CONSIDER BUYING SEGA: (Source: IDG.net)
      Microsoft and Electronic Arts are considering bidding for Sega,
      according to a report in The Wall Street Journal's online edition.
      http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=788863

      NEW DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM FOR PS2 ONLINE GAMES: (Source: IDG.net) IBM
      and Butterfly.net have reached an agreement with Sony to provide a
      hosted grid environment for developers.
      http://www.techinformer.com/go.cgi?id=788780
      SECURITY SECTION

      Lovgate.C Worm Crawls Across Web: Leading antivirus vendors post
      inoculations for newest pest.
      http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109491,00.asp

      MICROSOFT PATCHES CRITICAL WINDOWS FLAW: Security hole could allow an
      attacker to delete files on affected PCs.
      http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109570,tk,dn022703X,00.asp
      HUMOR AND MISC. SECTION

      20 Things You Didn't Know Your PC Could Do: Teach that old machine
      new tricks--from the amazingly practical to the practically amazing.
      http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,108720,pg,1,00.asp

      From: NNT@...
      FILE EXTENSIONS DEFINED. We recently mentioned a site that explains
      what all those file extensions mean. A reader kindly pointed out
      another good resource at http://www.filext.com,