  • moehlert2001 <oehlert@adlnet.org>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003
      e-Clippings Late January – Early February

      "What is written without effort is in general read without
      pleasure."
      Samuel Johnson (1709–1784), British author, lexicographer. Quoted
      in Anecdotes by William Seward, Johnsonian Miscellanies, vol. 2, ed.
      George Birkbeck Hill (1897).

      "Inscribe all human effort with one word,
      Artistry's haunting curse, the Incomplete!"
      Robert Browning (1812–1889), British poet. The Ring and the Book,
      bk. 11, l. 1560 (1868-1869).

      Two things:

      First, I am still insecure enough to wonder what it means that when
      I fail to publish this little missive for a couple of weeks, the
      subscriber base goes UP!?

      Second, I feel the need to explain/apologize for the
      lateness/absence of e-clippings. I have been doing this newsletter
      for about 4 years now – 3 on Yahoo! and then a year prior just
      through email. It's not that I'm tired of doing this but
      I'm looking for a new format or way to expand/grow/change what
      this
      newsletter can be. I am actually talking to some folks about some
      potentially very cool changes and will let you know as soon as
      something gets set up. For now, I continue to appreciate and be
      amazed that people read this newsletter and perhaps actually find it
      useful and or engaging. Thanks to all of you and I promise to try to
      get back on a more regular publishing schedule.

      Thanks much,
      Mark Oehlert, Editor

      P.s. One more thing – I know that longtime readers are accustomed
      to my rants/focus on things like P2P, file-sharing and copyright law
      but I want to explain, since there seems to be a number of stories in
      this issue on those topics, why I include them in a newsletter
      dedicated to learning and technology. Simple – legal
      infringements or failure to resolve issues in these arenas could
      choke off the air supply to e-learning faster than VC funding drying
      up. Click here for more details:
      Predictions For 2003: E-learning's Leading Lights Look Ahead
      http://www.elearnmag.org/
      Virtual conference on "Copyright and the Web" starts on 10 February
      2003 This three-week, e-mail-based conference is open to all and
      there is no cost. How to join the virtual conference on Copyright
      and the Web:
      To join the conference, send an e-mail message to
      majordomo@... and put the following in the body of the
      message: subscribe copyright [your e-mail address]
      e.g., subscribe copyright xxxx@...)
      You will receive a confirmation and further information by e-mail.
      If you do not receive a confirmation within 24 hours, please contact
      COL at info@....
      http://www.col.org/programmes/conferences/copyright_virt_con.htm
      NEWS

      **The European Comm.'s e-learning site
      "The elearningeuropa.info portal gathers information on the use
      of multimedia technologies and the Internet for education, training
      and lifelong learning in Europe. The portal is open to all the
      relevant actors and communities for sharing experiences,
      disseminating projects and discussing ideas. The learningeuropa.info
      portal was initiated by the European Commission. It is an integral
      part of the eLearning Action Plan, which is managed by the
      Multimedia Unit of the Directorate General Education and Culture."
      http://www.elearningeuropa.info/

      XML STANDARDS BODY STARTS CRIMINAL RECORD COMMITTEE
      The Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
      Standards has formed a committee to create a framework for
      government agencies to share criminal records.
      http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/19930-1.html

      The one standard, LOM and the semantic web. : January 27, 2003
      In a lengthy and characteristically thought provoking presentation,
      Stephen Downes challenges both the need and the demand for just one
      Learning Object Metadata (LOM) standard. That done, the very
      existence of such beasts as learning objects is called into
      question. We examine the argument.
      http://www.cetis.ac.uk/content/20030127164729

      SiX plugfest report: encouraging, but could do better February 06,
      2003: Dutch educational standards working group SiX just published
      the results of its plugfest. Over the day, various managed/virtual
      learning environments were required to import, export and display a
      standardised set of ADL SCORM 1.2, IMS Content packaging 1.3, IMS
      QTI 1.2 and IMS Enterprise 1.1 data. Result: familiar problems and
      remarkable differences between products.
      http://www.cetis.ac.uk/content/20030206174927

      Pentagon Reaches Deal on Wireless Web
      By Ted Bridis, AP Technology Writer
      Monday, February 3, 2003; 8:56 AM : WASHINGTON –– The Defense
      Department and technology companies struck a compromise Friday to
      prevent interference with military radars from a new generation of
      wireless Internet devices.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17825-2003Feb3.html

      IEEE to lift SCORM, IMS Content Packaging to standard status,
      clarifies LOM future. February 03, 2003:
      http://www.cetis.ac.uk/content/20030203181028

      Digital Repositories Interoperability spec approved by IMS
      January 30, 2003
      http://www.cetis.ac.uk/content/20030130180223

      Blackboard Acquires SA Cash
      By Ellen McCarthy, Washington Post Staff Writer
      Tuesday, February 4, 2003; Page E05: Blackboard Inc., a privately
      held Washington online education company, spent $4.5 million in cash
      yesterday to buy a business that lets students use their
      identification cards to make discounted purchases from merchants.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20911-2003Feb3.html

      Embrace file-sharing, or die: A record executive and his son make a
      formal case for freely downloading music. The gist: 50 million
      Americans can't be wrong. Editor's note: John Snyder is president of
      Artist House Records, a board member of the National Association of
      Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS), and a 32-time Grammy nominee.
      On Thursday night, he submitted the following paper to NARAS.
      http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/01/file_trading_manifesto/i
      ndex.html?x

      Fathoming the Future of eLearning: By CHRIS MITCHELL : On January 6,
      2003, Columbia University announced that it would be closing
      Fathom.com, its for-profit distance learning unit, as part of the
      reorganization of its digital media operations. Effective March 31
      this year, the largest online learning venture will end.
      http://cornelldailysun.com/articles/7269/

      The Race to Kill Kazaa: The servers are in Denmark. The software is
      in Estonia. The domain is registered Down Under, the corporation on
      a tiny island in the South Pacific. The users - 60 million of them -
      are everywhere around the world. The next Napster? Think bigger. And
      pity the poor copyright cops trying to pull the plug.By Todd Woody
      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/kazaa.html

      **You GO Rep. Boucher!!! (and Doolittle, Bachus and Kennedy)
      Lawmakers Urge Protection of Fair Use: Digital Media Consumers'
      Rights Act Re-Introduced January 7, 2003: Initiating what is certain
      to be a contentious debate during the 108th Congress, U.S.
      Representatives Rick Boucher (D-VA), John Doolittle (R-CA), Spencer
      Bachus (R-AL) and Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) introduced on Tuesday the
      Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act with the announced goal of
      protecting the Fair Use rights of the users of copyrighted material
      and, thereby enabling the consumers of digital media to make use of
      it in ways that enhance their personal convenience. The legislation
      (H.R. 107) is identical to that which Boucher and Doolittle
      introduced during the Fall of 2002
      http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/dmca108.htm

      Find an Answer in E-Learning February 2003
      Virtual learning is gaining popularity as a lower-cost alternative
      for training. But Home Depot, Siemens and Ryder are among those
      discovering more than cost savings. By Penny Lunt
      http://www.imagingmagazine.com/cgi-bin/printable.cgi?
      file=../db_area/a
      rchs/2003/02/tfm0302f1_1.shtml

      Report: E-Learning breaking down barriers in Africa
      01/30/03: By Gail Repsher Emery: Staff Writer
      http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/19945-1.html

      Online Ads for U. of Phoenix Irk Officials at Other Colleges
      By ANDREA L. FOSTER: Officials at several colleges are still
      smarting from online advertisements last week that they say
      suggested that their institutions were affiliated with the
      University of Phoenix Online.
      http://chronicle.com/free/2003/02/2003020302t.htm

      Record Industry Has No Plan to Seek Names of Students Trading
      Copyrighted Songs: By ANDREA L. FOSTER : In a case that campus-
      network administrators followed closely, the recording industry won
      an important legal victory last week that will help record companies
      ferret out music fans who illegally trade copyrighted material. But
      an industry official says the victory doesn't mean companies will
      start demanding the names of college students who pass song files
      around -- at least not yet.
      http://chronicle.com/free/2003/01/2003012901t.htm

      Study: Office surfers aren't slackers: By Lisa M. Bowman
      Staff Writer, CNET News.com: February 4, 2003, 11:51 AM PT
      Maybe companies shouldn't be so quick to pull the plug on personal
      Web surfing at work. A new study finds that employees may waste time
      surfing on the job, but they tend to make up for it by working from
      home in their off hours.
      http://news.com.com/2100-1017-983305.html

      MSN deliberately breaks Opera's browser, claims company
      By John Lettice: Posted: 06/02/2003 at 14:52 GMT
      TRENDS SECTION

      (NY Times' stories require free registration)
      Win Friends, Influence People, or Just Aim and Fire
      By CHARLES HEROLD: THE blond guy in the Hawaiian shirt says that if
      I don't mention him in my review of The Sims Online he's going to
      pile-drive me again. I wasn't too happy the first time he did it and
      I don't take kindly to threats, so I turn the tables, telling him
      he'll make my column if he dresses up like a clown and dances for
      me. He grabs a funny hat from a hatrack and starts his soft-shoe.
      All right, Seth Jones, I say, I'll mention you.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/06/technology/circuits/06game.html

      A Nation of Voyeurs: How the Internet search engine Google is
      changing what we can find out about one another - and raising
      questions about whether we should: By Neil Swidey, Globe Staff,
      2/2/2003
      http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0202/coverstory_entire.htm

      We Have the Technology: Synthesis of a listserv discussion
      ..enabling faculty to create material on the web for all courses,
      online, face-to-face, and blended, is a wise investment.
      http://www.sloan-c.org/publications/view/v2n1/coverv2n1.htm

      The Marshall Plan: For 40 years, the man Pentagon insiders call Yoda
      has foreseen the future of war - from battlefield bots rolling off
      radar-proof ships to GIs popping performance pills. And that was
      before the war on terror. By Douglas McGray
      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/marshall.html

      Putting a Faculty Face on Distance Education Programs
      William H. Riffee
      http://www.syllabus.com/article.asp?id=7233

      Designing for Learners, Designing for Users
      By Dave Smulders
      http://www.elearnmag.org/subpage/sub_page.cfm?
      section=3&list_item=11&p
      age=1

      Web-Loving Students Can Be Prodded to Cite Peer-Reviewed Works in
      Term Papers, Study Suggests: Thursday, February 6, 2003
      By SCOTT CARLSON
      http://chronicle.com/free/2003/02/2003020601t.htm

      Content Management: Our Organized Future
      George Siemens : January 23, 2003
      Introduction: Content management holds the promise of better
      organization, increased access to resources, greater organizational
      effectiveness...for those who dare slog through the process of
      setting up a content management system - a task often more onerous
      than dealing with unorganized content.
      http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/contentmanagement.htm

      Genesis Of An Anthill: Wireless Technology And Self-Organizing
      Systems By Espen Andersen: The future belongs to small, connected
      devices that will wirelessly allow the user -- and the technology --
      to self-organize, creating something smart out of many small and
      simple nodes and connections.
      http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/e_andersen_8.html

      Game industry now courts women with new games: Chris Gaither
      Boston Globe: Published Jan. 20, 2003 When looking after her three
      boys and running a fledgling Web-hosting business got to be too much
      last summer, Michelle Valentine slipped away into one of her other
      worlds. After choosing one of the many personas she had created for
      herself, Valentine, 32, threw invitation-only parties in a rented
      villa, splattered friends in paintball matches, and sought hidden
      treasures in scavenger hunts.

      Hating Hilary: By Matt Bai: Hilary Rosen paces the creaking oak
      floor of the Oxford Union debate hall, eyeing the empty pews the way
      a Roman gladiator might have surveyed the Colosseum. Rosen is the
      chair of the Recording Industry Association of America, and in a few
      hours she'll be standing here in a black formal gown, getting ripped
      to pieces. Along with several other industry executives, she's
      charged with defending the proposition: "This house believes that
      the free-music mentality is a threat to the future of music."
      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/hating.html

      Students Called on SMS Cheating: Associated Press
      01:52 PM Jan. 30, 2003 PT: ROCKVILLE, Maryland -- Six University of
      Maryland students have admitted cheating on an accounting exam by
      using their cell phones to receive text messages with the answers,
      the school said Thursday. Another six students were implicated in
      the case.
      http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,57484,00.html

      Making Copyright Ambidextrous: An Expose of Copyleft
      Maureen O'Sullivan: Teaching Assistant: University of Warwick
      http://elj.warwick.ac.uk/jilt/02-3/osullivan.html

      Group Calls for More Academic Research in Computer Security
      By BROCK READ: Washington: To protect their own computer networks
      and other systems, colleges should focus their cybersecurity
      programs on subjects such as wireless security, advanced virus
      protection, and Internet law, according to a report released
      Thursday by a consortium of academic and nonprofit research
      organizations.
      http://chronicle.com/free/2003/01/2003013101t.htm

      New Kids On the Blog:By Leslie Walker: Thursday, February 6, 2003;
      Page E01: Businesses may not be creating much free content online
      anymore, but people sure are. Personal publishing has flourished
      online throughout the dot-com downturn, thanks to tools that make it
      easy to rant online and to attract readers through automated linking
      systems.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31944-2003Feb5.html
      EMERGING TECH SECTION

      Technology Helps Mimic Real Situations For Training
      Simmersion Software Adds a Human Element
      By Sabrina Jones: Washington Post Staff Writer
      Thursday, February 6, 2003; Page HO05
      One recent morning, Dale E. Olsen impersonated a U.S. Customs
      inspector inside an airport as he interviewed Maria Rodriguez, a
      young Mexico City woman visiting Los Angeles. While watching for
      signs of nervousness, he asked to see her passport and quizzed her
      on details about her visit to the country. The questions were
      designed to determine if Rodriguez had smuggled drugs or other
      contraband into the country. But Rodriguez was actually an actor in
      a computer simulation used to teach interviewing skills.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A32484-2003Feb5?
      language=prin
      ter

      Cultivating Interoperability and Resource-Sharing
      Philip Hunter with the editorial for Ariadne 34.
      http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue34/editorial/

      **Open Source LMS
      Whiteboard Courseware System Project Home Page
      Whiteboard is a fully-featured and -integrated courseware system,
      targeted toward colleges and universities. It supports multiple
      departments and courses (including cross-listed courses); simple
      migration of courses to new semesters; grade storage, checking, and
      calculation; assignment submission and testing, and submitted
      assignment retrieval; documents; announcements; and discussion
      boards. It is written in PHP with a MySQL back-end, and is fully
      administrable through its web interface.
      http://whiteboard.sourceforge.net/

      Innovation as a Deep Capability: by Gary Hamel
      Leader to Leader, No. 27 Winter 2003
      http://www.pfdf.org/leaderbooks/l2l/winter2003/hamel.html

      6 Institutions Will Help Fine-Tune a Popular New Archiving Program
      By DAN CARNEVALE: Six major research universities announced this
      week that they are working with the Massachusetts Institute of
      Technology to fine-tune an MIT program for archiving scholarly works
      called DSpace, which has become wildly popular in academe in just a
      few months.
      http://chronicle.com/free/2003/01/2003013001t.htm

      DSpace: An Open Source Dynamic Digital Repository
      D-Lib Magazine: January 2003
      Volume 9 Number 1: ISSN 1082-9873
      http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january03/smith/01smith.html

      (NY Times' stories require free registration)
      Pocket PC's for Smaller Pocketbooks: By DAVID POGUE
      PROFESSIONAL technology reviewers have one thing in common with
      lawyers, therapists and dermatologists: they are frequently
      approached by advice-seekers at parties.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/06/technology/circuits/06stat.html
      SECURITY SECTION

      HUMOR AND MISC. SECTION

      The Future Needs Us!: By Freeman J. Dyson
      The New York Review of Books:February 13, 2003: Review
      Prey: by Michael Crichton: HarperCollins, 367 pp., $26.95
      http://www.nybooks.com/articles/16053