  • moehlert2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2002
      e-Clippings 7.31.02 / 8.7.02
      OK - I'm so far behind now it's ridiculous! I'm just going to keep chugging through this stuff until I get caught up so please forgive the irregular publishing schedule coming up.

      Why so far behind Mark? Several reasons and thanks for asking. Plugfest 6. For those who don't know, Plugfests are ADL's (www.adlnet.org) technical conferences where we work out the state of the art in e-learning standards. Once again, this one set records, specifically:

      "The registered participants of Plugfest 6 included 68 Learning Management/Learning Content Management Systems vendors (up from 30 at Plugfest 5), 46 authoring tool vendors (up from 23 at Plugfest 5) and 106 learning content providers (up from 50 at Plugfest 5) and at least 41 other vendors. A complete listing of participant organizations is posted on the ADLNet Web site at http://www.adlnet.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Plugfest6Participants. Over 400 people participated in the technical testbed, "Plug-N-Play" event."

      Everyone here at the Co-Lab put in ridiculous amounts of work, especially Karen Sossong and Kristin Hasselbrack. Briefings and presentations are being posted to the ADLNet site as we can get to them.

      What else? Getting caught back up at my paying job (this newsletter is a labor of love) and then slightly sick baby (he's fine thanks). So there. I'm back!
      New To Me:
      Campaign for Freedom
      The Advertising Council, Inc.
      http://www.adcouncil.org/campaigns/campaign_for_freedom/
      Yes, that's right. I am purposefully sending you to the Ad Council's Web site. I had not seen these spots (with a 2.5 year old, I watch mainly Thomas the Tank Engine). The Main Street one is great and the library, et al are all chilling. I think it really points out that our openness as a society is both our greatest strength and a vulnerability (Note I didn't say weakness). The war on terrorism has many fronts.
      September 16-18, 2002
      Transforming DoD Training, Conference & Exhibit
      Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, Alexandria, VA
      Event #21L0 Room Block is open through August 17th. Call the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center to make your reservations, (703)845-1010 or (1-800)445-8667. Ask for the NTSA/ADL conference rate of $149/Government or $189/Industry (rates available for the evenings of Sept. 16th and 17th only)Further details can be found on the NTSA website at: www.trainingsystems.org/events Tentative Conference Agenda has been posted!
      Imagine a world where all digital media technology is controlled by
      Congress and Hollywood. Senator Ernest Hollings and a powerful group
      of Hollywood entertainment interests are pushing Congress to pass an
      anti-consumer bill called the Consumer Broadband and Digital
      Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA) to bring just such a world into
      existence. What YOU Can Do Now: This is YOUR chance to voice your
      opposition to CBDTPA. - Subscribe to the new EFF Action Center and
      send your member of Congress an email, letter or fax. You can take
      action by going to: http://action.eff.org/tinseltown/
      Read all about it here: http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/
      Or view the e-Clippings Special Report on Intellectual Property here:
      NEWS

      IBM Showcases E-Learning Standards Leadership (Internet Wire): IBM Corporation today exhibited its e-learning standards leadership with the demonstration of a sequencing engine, built to support the upcoming SCORM 1.3 specification. SCORM is a set of e-learning specifications compiled by the U.S. government's Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative to support interoperability.
      http://rd.yahoo.com/alerts/email/news/
      http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/020731/045097.html

      House Bill Could Shut Down File Sharing: A California Democrat introduced a bill Thursday that would make sharing of copyrighted files illegal, and would indemnify copyright holders from taking whatever actions they chose to prevent the sharing of those files.
      http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eRTg0CdiPZ0HX60pDN0AA

      A new bill would make it legal for Hollywood to cyber-attack anyone who may have violated U.S. copyright law. But they'll need to get past the antivirus industry first... Read http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=503&page=4 before you watch another "grade Z" horror flick. (Text & audio available.)

      IBM grabs PWC for $3.5 billion: IBM has agreed to buy PricewaterhouseCoopers' consulting arm
      for an estimated $3.5 billion in a deal that expands its already extensive services business. As other companies such as Sun,Dell, HP and EDS seek to beef up their own services, this
      acquisition bolsters an area of comparative weakness for IBM Global Services--the planning and installation of high-end software.
      http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=9a-b6TGQTMpGk0gwVpF674iVPlA0dRR

      Will Ashcroft Target P2P Sites? (Politics Friday): Members of Congress ask Attorney General John Ashcroft to prosecute file-swapping networks and users, saying the Justice Department should 'devote more resources to policing online copyrights.'
      http://go.hotwired.com/news/politics/0,1283,54460,00.html/wn_ascii

      SECURITY FLAW FOUND IN SHOCKWAVE FLASH: Vulnerability could be exploited anytime a Web browser views the infected files.
      http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,103841,tk,dn080902X,00.asp

      Minn. Firm to Buy LearningElements
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61718-2002Aug8.html?referer=email

      TRENDS SECTION

      PENTAGON TESTS NOTEBOOKS IN DRILL: The Defense Protective Service tested rugged notebook PCs configured for emergency workers during a recent bioterrorism exercise in the Pentagon courtyard.
      http://www.gcn.com/12_21/dodcomputing/19441-1.html

      Who Needs Paper? Not Iowa College (Making the Grade 2:00 a.m. PDT): One Midwestern community college is nixing the paper and working toward an all-digital campus, all the time. The school has no library or books and depends almost entirely on e-textbooks and online
      resources. By Katie Dean.
      http://go.hotwired.com/news/school/0,1383,53747,00.html/wn_ascii

      Pressplay to offer unlimited downloads: Bowing to tepid demand, the industry-backed music service offers unlimited streams and downloads.
      http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=29-SgTrIjM3H2SzeOZNVKo0tPQIrRRR

      HP backs down on DMCA warning: HP has backed away from legal threats it made against security analysts, emphasizing that it would not use the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to pursue researchers who publicized a vulnerability in the company's Tru64 Unix. HP's dramatic
      threat earlier this week appears to be the first time the controversial copyright law has been invoked to stifle security- related research.
      http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=b2-M4LwQX043ZMOzOSjdEFuBA0qLdRR

      WORKERS HAVE POSITIVE ATTITUDE TOWARD TELECOMMUTING: Over half of U.S. adults in a recent survey said their quality of life would improve if they could telecommute.
      --Internet Business News
      http://cma.zdnet.com/texis/TIB/pdisplay.html?docid=89494038

      Game Theory for Real People (Business 2:00 a.m. PDT): 'Our simple models are no longer sufficient,' said an eminent game theorist, who is calling for human passions and quirks to be taken into account, too. Diana Michele Yap reports from Stony Brook, New York.
      http://go.hotwired.com/news/business/0,1367,54131,00.html/wn_ascii

      Massively Multiplayer: Massively multiplayer online games are hugely popular. They
      will only become more so as broadband usage mushrooms. Here we review some current games you might not know about yet and preview exciting games to come.
      http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eRTg0CdiPZ0HX60pJQ0AJ

      "802.11b+" Protocol Bridges 802.11a, 802.11b: With the standardization of the 802.11g specification pushed out until about next May, some companies are turning towards
      the proprietary "802.11b+" specification to fill the gap.
      http://extreme.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eRbp0DPscz0FBc0pY30AU

      JAPAN LAUNCHES ID NETWORK AMID 'BIG BROTHER' ANGST: Japan launched a compulsory ID system aimed at bringing government into the electronic age in the face of stiff protests
      calling it a violation of privacy and a temptation to hackers.
      http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=722950

      Certificate Magazine: CERTMAG'S GUIDE TO E-LEARNING: Simply finding the newest training software or the cheapest online vendor is not enough to produce the real skills and ability your career needs-or the results your company is looking for. Several factors are key to a successful outcome with online learning. The following checklist will help you determine whether or not your company's program or the provider you're considering has them...
      http://www.certmag.com/issues/aug02/feature_yost.cfm

      Anonymizer preps Private Surfing 2.0: Takes shot in privacy arms race

      The Distributed Knowledge Research Collaborative (DKRC) is a consortium of individuals and groups dedicated to the study of how knowledge is produced, shared, negotiated and co-constructed within distributed communities, and the ways in which technologies support these exchanges. DKRC members assume that understanding distributed knowledge processes requires the perspectives and methodologies of multiple disciplines. Our consortium members and approaches are multidisciplinary, drawing from and contributing to the sociology of scientific knowledge, computer mediated communication studies, social network analysis, information science, management, education, and writing studies. The DKRC operates on the assumption that some knowledge processes, at least, can be distributed, including our own. Several of the consortium projects are distributed--by discipline, time, and geography.
      http://www.dkrc.org/

      EMERGING TECH SECTION

      AF UNVEILS NEW IT-CENTRIC STRATEGY: A soldier lies on the ground in unfriendly territory. Strapped to his leg is a digital screen called a Smart Knee Board that he can mark up with an electronic pen to alert commanders to his position.
      http://www.gcn.com/12_21/news/19458-1.html

      NTT DoCoMo to sell Pocket PC device
      http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=33-vUNnINjcKjgmwhSziitAHKYRNdRR

      MailSite: A viable alternative to Exchange: This year, a few vendors plan to introduce improved messaging products to compete with Microsoft Exchange. One such contender, Rockliffe's MailSite, will soon support the Outlook client.
      http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=1b-wAdhI3N1IaJf9e5Q2TqK4FoTRdRR

      CREO SIMPLIFIES E-MAIL WITH LAUNCH OF SIX DEGREES SOFTWARE.: Six Degrees linking software at the trade show. The software, compatible with the Mac OS X and Windows XP platforms, allows users to automatically connect the related e-mail messages, files and people's names on...07/31/02 (Article indexed) Technology Advertising & Branding Report 07/29/02
      http://cma.zdnet.com/texis/TIB/pdisplay.html?docid=89651023

      More Memory on the Way (Technology 2:00 a.m. PDT): A new type of memory will be able to process up to 256 bits of information instead of the standard 32 bits. By Andy Patrizio.
      http://go.hotwired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54294,00.html/wn_ascii

      FUEL CELL COMING TO A HANDHELD NEAR YOU: Posted August 08, 2002 04:37 Pacific Time
      IT MAY BE years before your car is powered by a fuel cell, but your handheld computer won't have to wait too long if engineers at MTI MicroFuel Cells have their way. On Thursday, MTI Micro unveiled the latest prototype of its direct methanol fuel cell, a power supply that is
      about the size of a deck of playing cards and promises to let handheld computers, cell phones and other small computing devices work away from a power outlet for about 10 times as long as they can today, according to MTI Micro Chief Executive Officer Bill Acker, who detailed the fuel cell pack in an interview.
      http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/08/08/020808hnmit.xml?0809fram

      SECURITY SECTION

      "Giving Your Number To Others: If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it to them. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for your Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify their customers by alternative means.
      Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:
      why your number is needed;
      how your number will be used;
      what happens if you refuse; and
      what law requires you to give your number.
      The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.
      Our primary message is this--be careful with your Social Security number and your card to prevent their misuse.
      If you think someone is misusing your number, ask us for the leaflet, When Someone Misuses Your Number (Publication No. 05- 10064)."
      http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html

      Microsoft releases Windows 2000 fixes
      http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=2d-OxXyIbKx-rGDuZJVM4zgyzhVQRRR

      HUMOR AND MISC. SECTION

      Cement.com and Other Dead Weight (Culture 2:00 a.m. PDT): The latest offering from the dot-com crash bookshelf neatly packages an era in 299 folly-filled pages. Charles Mandel reviews Inside the Cult of Kibu, by Lori Gottlieb and Jesse Jacob.
      http://go.hotwired.com/news/culture/0,1284,54181,00.html/wn_ascii

      Roses Are Red, Your PDA Is Dead (Culture 2:00 a.m. PDT): Creepy poetry comes to a handheld near you. 'It's simple! And fun! And sick!' Also: Sci-fi author Jack Vance and a cast of hundreds ... and more, in M.J. Rose's notebook.
      http://go.hotwired.com/news/culture/0,1284,54330,00.html/wn_ascii

      From: Today's Refdesk Link of the Day
      This special online-only edition of Exploring takes a closer look at the sweet lure of chocolate. Site examines the fascinating -- and often misreported -- history of chocolate, follow the chocolate-making process, and take an online visit to a chocolate factory. Also explored is the science of chocolate, and find out about the latest research into the possible health effects of its consumption.
      http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/exploring_chocolate/

      How Windows Product Activation Works: When you activate Win XP an Installation ID code, which is made up of a Product ID and a value based on the hardware configuration of your system.
      http://extreme.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eReX0DPscz0FBc0pe30AL