  • OEHLERT@EROLS.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2001
      e-Clippings 9.5.01
      "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
      -Confucius

      "Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity a greater."
      -William Hazlitt

      "The brighter you are, the more you have to learn."
      -Don Herold

      **Yes, I did miss a week. My laptop is still inhabited by small
      demons and the holy water doesn't seem to be helping. !!**
      Cool Site(s):
      So you're sitting there griping about Windows or Office of
      something and it inevitably ends up at "but what else can I
      use?" StarOffice from Sun is one alternative that just seems to
      keep getting better. StarOffice has a word processor, spreadsheet,
      presentation, email and browser program (I'm probably forgetting
      something else too..). It's Web site states that it does
      integrate and interoperate with MS products and get this…it's
      free! That's right, v5.2 is downloadable free of charge from the
      Sun site. You can $$ to buy it in a store but why would you? Anyway,
      its gotten great reviews and seems (by some unofficial measures) to
      hold about 15% of the office suite market.
      http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/5.2/index.html

      Radio VH-1:
      Great channels and easy on the system resources.
      http://www.vh1.com/sounds.visions/vh1atwork/?mswmp
      Conference Announcements:

      Advanced Distributed Learning and Job Performance Technologies
      Conference and Exhibit
      September 26, 2001 - September 27, 2001
      Hilton Mark Center, Alexandria, Virginia
      www.adlnet.org

      and

      22nd - 26th July 2002, Working Conference in Dortmund, Germany
      "Social, Ethical and Cognitive Issues of Informatics and ICT" - SECIII
      http://ddi.cs.uni-dortmund.de/dortmund2002/index_html

      and

      25th - 30th of August 2002, Open Conference as part of WCC'2002 in
      Montreal,
      Canada INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY for our Times:
      IDEAS, RESEARCH and APPLICATION IN AN INCLUSIVE WORLD
      Stream of the TC-3 :"TelE-Learning"
      http://www.wcc2002.org/en/index.html

      and

      SITE 2002
      Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education
      International Conference
      March 18-23, 2002 * Nashville, Tennessee
      Nashville Convention Center
      CALL FOR PARTICIPATION - DEADLINE: OCT. 19, 2001
      Co-sponsored by Vanderbilt University
      Organized by Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education
      (SITE) www.aace.org/site
      And Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
      www.aace.org
      NEWS

      HP to Buy Compaq for $25B
      PC maker's potential dominance in stores raises antitrust concerns.
      http://www.washtech.com/news/software/12292-1.html

      **Bargain Alert**
      Handspring giving away VisorPhone
      In an apparent move to clear out inventory, Handspring this
      week began giving away its VisorPhone cell phone module
      with the purchase of a Visor handheld.
      http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?134058:9649913

      Learning Circuits: LCMS ROUNDUP
      More important, as LCMSs develop, so may their influence on e-
      learning instructional design. Because an LCMS's strength is its
      ability to modularize and manipulate content, developers can begin
      exploring new learning techniques. For instance, LCMSs are poised to
      address adaptive learning. "An inherent capability of LCMSs is
      adapting content to fit a learner's personal profile, not just by
      delivery mode but learning styles."
      http://www.learningcircuits.com/2001/aug2001/ttools.html

      BBC: SURGERY ON THE WEB
      A new cyber medical college has been set up in the UK to educate
      doctors, nurses and other health professionals. From Monday, health
      workers anywhere in the world will be able to log-on to the internet
      to learn how to carry out surgical operations or the latest medical
      procedure.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/2001/glasgow_2001/n
      ewsid_1522000/1522086.stm

      Young Gandhi's Crusade Is Dot-In (Culture 2:00 a.m. PDT)
      Mahatma Gandhi fought for the freedom of his country. Now his great-
      grandson is fighting to convince Indians to rally around its
      country's Internet suffix. Manu Joseph reports from Mumbai.
      http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,46339,00.html?tw=wn20010903

      DEFENSE IT PROJECTS MAY BE STALLED IN 2002
      Political maneuvering over the Defense Department budget for fiscal
      2002 is likely to hold up new IT projects, a senior Pentagon official
      said.
      http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/17077-1.html

      PENTAGON CIO EYES NETWORK-CENTRIC ARCHITECTURES
      The Department of Defense will pursue network-centric technologies,
      according to its new chief information officer, John Stenbit.
      http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/17066-1.html

      Fast Company: CLICK U
      Virtual networking truly clicks at Indiana University, where students
      of the online MBA program collaborate and communicate across time
      zones and oceans, using breakneck technology and scheduling savvy.
      http://www.fastcompany.com/launch/launch_feature/clicku.html

      TRENDS SECTION

      IT-Training: TEN PENNIES FOR E-LEARNING'S WISHING WELL
      Elliott Masie: One of the perks of being an analyst in the learning
      and training field is that I get to dream out loud about what is
      needed in our industry. And this is my wish list...I also want the
      character that Martin Sheen plays on West Wing to enrol in an e-
      learning course – let's get millions of viewers seeing that e-
      learning is a real and normal component of the human learning
      process. What better way to do that than through TV and film models...
      http://www.train-net.co.uk/columnists/columnist_article.asp?NewsID=473

      CNET: INTERNET REPLACING LIBRARIES FOR HOMEWORK
      Thanks to the Internet, research projects and other school
      assignments are being completed at home, on-line, replacing last-
      minute trips to the library, according to a study released Saturday.
      Seventy-one percent of middle school and high school students with
      Internet access said they relied on the electronic technology the
      most in completing a project, according to a survey conducted by the
      Pew Internet and American Life Project.
      http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7039672.html?tag=mn_hd

      Darwin: FIVE THOUGHTS ABOUT... ONLINE COMMUNITIES
      Amy Jo Kim: There's a useful three-element process that you can
      think about when building a community. First, we're creating a
      fertile habitat where people will thrive. That involves not just the
      platform we choose, the technology we choose, but the energy that
      flows into it. Just like a biological ecosystem needs energy,
      communities need energy, particularly at the beginning. They need
      either money or funding. They need startup energy. They need
      people's
      energy to get the thing going.
      http://www.darwinmag.com/read/thoughts/column.html?ArticleID=157

      Stephen Hawking predicts cyborg ascendancy
      Let's re-engineer our genes to compete

      Online Learning Magazine: CLOSED FOR BUSINESS
      Two years ago, learning portals popped up across the Internet's
      landscape. Today, many are buried in the dot-com rubble. What
      happened?
      http://www.onlinelearningmag.com/new/sept01/cover.htm

      Online Learning Magazine: LAND OF CONFUSION
      Six pieces of advice on how to evaluate a learning management system.
      http://www.onlinelearningmag.com/new/sept01/feature2.htm

      EMERGING TECH SECTION

      HP Intros Color Pocket PCs Based on New OS
      Hewlett Packard plans this week to introduce two Pocket PC handheld
      computers based on the new Pocket PC 2002 Premium Edition operating
      system from Microsoft. The Jornada 565, with 32 MB of RAM, and the
      Jornada 568, with 64 MB RAM, will be available in stores Oct. 4.
      The units have a removable 14-hour rechargable lithium-polymer
      battery, 8 MB FlashROM for backup, and CompactFlash Type I extended
      slot for adding memory cards and accessories such as wireless
      modems. --Mitch Wagner Get the whole story:
      http://update.internetweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eESZ0B48tK0V30RtX0Ab

      MIT Technology Review: VIRTUAL WORLDS GET REAL
      Some 35,000 movie makers, gamers, graphics artists, hardware
      developers and researchers gathered earlier this month at SIGGRAPH
      2001 in Los Angeles to demonstrate just how good they're getting at
      modeling the physical world—and then at going it one better.
      http://www.techreview.com/web/hogan/hogan082901.asp

      IBM SCIENTISTS PRESENT TINY COMPUTER CIRCUIT
      (Source: IDG.net) Taking another step toward post-silicon
      semiconductors, IBM scientists on Sunday presented a computer
      circuit made from a carbon nanotube, a tube-shaped molecule of carbon
      atoms that is 100,000 times thinner than a human hair.
      http://click.idg.email-publisher.com/maaadb2aaQioca9nkbob/

      INTEL LAUNCHES 2-GHZ PENTIUM 4
      (Source: PCWorld.com) Gateway, Dell, Compaq, and HP are among
      vendors now shipping systems running on the milestone CPU.
      http://click.idg.email-publisher.com/maaadb2aaQioda9nkbob/

      RESEARCHERS PLAY WITH PARASITIC COMPUTING
      Why use your own computer when you can make use of other people's
      Researchers at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana have
      demonstrated "parasitic" computing -- using other people's servers to
      do your own processing, they said in an article in this week's Nature
      magazine.
      http://click.idg.email-publisher.com/maaadaXaaQh4oa9nkbob/

      SECURITY SECTION

      NEW VIRUS TARGETS AND ENCRYPTS .EXE FILES
      Source: Computerworld) Antivirus vendor Central Command has
      detected a new worm that, disguised as a warning from Microsoft, mass
      e-mails itself to users and, once launched, encrypts all executable
      files, rendering them unuseable.
      http://click.idg.email-publisher.com/maaadb2aaQin8a9nkbob/

      PROGRAMMER BREAKS MS E-BOOK CODE
      (Source: IDG.net) An anonymous programmer has found a way to
      decrypt Microsoft Reader e-books, according to an article on the Web
      site of an MIT magazine. His announcement has brought renewed focus
      to the debate on digital rights management and the future of e-book
      technology.
      http://click.idg.email-publisher.com/maaadb2aaQin9a9nkbob/

      Information Security: Code Red, Code Red II, and SirCam Attacks
      Highlight Need for Proactive Measures, by Keith Rhodes, chief
      technologist, before the Subcommittee on Government Efficiency,
      Financial Management, and Intergovernmental Relations, House
      Committee on Government Reform. GAO-01-1073T, August 29.
      http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?gao-01-1073t

      HUMOR AND MISC. SECTION

      The Mirage of Continuity : Reconfiguring Academic Information
      Resources for the 21st Century
      by Brian L. Hawkins (Editor), Patricia Battin (Editor),

      Program Hopping
      "If you're like me, you often have several applications open
      at once and are hopping back and forth among various
      applications all the time. Application hopping is
      unavoidable when you're working on a presentation that will
      feature a spreadsheet for figures, a document for the
      outline of your presentation, and a Web site or two with
      research information.

      It gets hectic after a while if you must minimize, then
      maximize, then go to the task bar and click on the
      application's icon. A faster way (at least for me) is to
      hold down the Alt key and press the Tab key. Let go of the
      Tab key while still holding down Alt, then press the Tab
      key to scroll through each application. When the box
      surrounds the application you want, let go of the Alt key
      and boom, there you are!"