e-Clippings 7.6.01 **125th Web Issue!

  • OEHLERT@EROLS.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2001
      e-Clippings 7.6.01
      125th Issue to be Sent via Web site

      Now I know that some of you are saying that you have received many
      more than 125 issues of e-Clippings from me, especially if you signed
      up back in the day when not only was I doing this daily but sending
      out two a day on top of that! So thanks to those who have been around
      from the start and thanks to those who have just joined up (and yes,
      thank all of you who joined in the middle too!).

      I have included in the `News" section, some stories you may
      have seen before but that are always good to see again. As I
      continue to pump these things out, I continue to look forward to your
      inputs, comments and critiques. Also, don't forget to get your
      friends and relatives to sign up for their own free subscriptions! :-)
      Cool Site(s):
      QuickBase
      https://www.quickbase.com/db/main?a=home

      As I look at sites to feature in this space, I have two main
      criteria; potential usefulness and price. Let' see QuickBase is a
      Web-accessible database that is free; stacks up pretty well
      doesn't it? Intuit makes QuickBase available, the same people who
      bring you Quicken. My main goal with using this site/service is to
      attempt to share a growing roster of attendees at certain events with
      geographically dispersed people who need access to this list. I also
      want to do this in a way that allows others to update the list
      (mainly so I don't have all that responsibility!). I'll
      report back to you on how it's going but please give it a whirl
      on your own! Below is a link to a Anchor Desk review of Quick Base.
      http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0705/2782592:9649913

      *Special Note on PowerPoint on the iPAQ: So all last year when I
      first got an iPAQ, I would show people full motion video, audio and
      graphics-smashing games (micro-simulations) and they would respond
      with "nice..but when will it do PowerPoint?" Well, the time
      is now and the flood is on! Here are the latest and greatest PPT
      displaying products for the Pocket PC:

      Presenter, Inc.
      http://presenter.com/
      This is the first program I used and it works just fine. The install
      is easy and then it is just a matter or drag-and-drop to convert your
      PPT files to files that are displayed on the iPAQ. You can view in
      full screen mode, outline, slide or slide sorter views. You can set
      the slides to run as a loop and even set the timing but I don't
      think you can actually move the slides and I know you can't edit
      any of the material.

      Pocket Slide Show from CnetX
      http://www.cnetx.com/slideshow/
      This is a much more functional and powerful program than the
      iPresenter. This program also allows you to edit transitions, move
      the order of slides, move notes and more. This one will also prompt
      you when you move slides onto the iPAQ as to what display size
      you'd like the file optimized for (external, iPAQ, etc.).

      AlbatrosViewer
      http://www.albatros-development.com/AlbatrosViewer/Overview.htm
      This is another viewer, essentially in the same class as the CnetX
      product.

      Pocket Slides from Conduits
      http://www.conduits.com/products/slides/
      This is the final entry and while it is not officially out yet, it
      has been demo'd at the recent PC Expo. This one also promises to
      be the most powerful, allowing you all the features outlined above as
      well as the ability to "edit your presentation on-the-go!
      Add/remove shapes, text, or images, or edit animation settings."

      Voyager VGA Card
      http://www.peak-
      development.co.uk/multimedia_windows_ce/vga_out_pc_card.htm
      This is the card that plugs into the PCMCIA Card Sleeve for your iPAQ
      that allows you to push PowerPoint from your PDA through a projector.
      NEWS

      **I knew there was a good reason for all that schooling!
      BBC: EDUCATION PROMISES A BETTER LIFE
      Educated people are less likely to suffer depression, are more
      motivated to achieve and are healthier than those who leave school at
      a young age, research suggests.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/education/newsid_1418000/1418645.stm

      IT Training: THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT E-LEARNINGĀ¹S FUTURE
      Elliott Masie: The "e" in e-learning will vanish in a couple of years
      and we will accept that learning will leverage the technology
      resources of our organisations to increase effectiveness. Talking of
      which, the use of blended learning is the quiet secret of e-learning.
      Almost every organisation we visit is doing more blended learning
      than the industry is talking about.
      http://www.train-net.co.uk/columnists/columnist_article.asp?NewsID=386

      Conference Announcement: Hypertext 2001: Twelfth ACM Conference on
      Hypertext and Hypermedia, 14 to 18 August 2001, Aarhus, Denmark
      From online documentation aboard aircraft carriers to distance
      learning degree programs to interactive entertainment, hypertext and
      hypermedia have already begun to transform our world. As the foremost
      international conference on hypertext and hypermedia Hypertext 2001
      brings together scholars, researchers, and practitioners from a
      diverse array of disciplines - including computing, literature, law,
      art, medicine, business, journalism, philosophy, psychology, and
      engineering - to consider the form, role, and impact of hypertext and
      hypermedia.
      http://www.ht01.org/

      Syllabus Magazine: FACE-TO-FACE WITH VIRTUAL COMMUNITIES
      Howard Rheingold: The physical structure of classrooms, and
      particularly lecture halls, tends to enforce the hierarchy of
      the "sage on the stage" broadcasting to the passive audience. An
      instructor who knows how to use online discourse skillfully can
      become the "guide on the side" who encourages students to learn
      together, through ongoing written discourse about texts. This shift
      is not a panacea, but it can be powerful and useful under the right
      circumstances.
      http://www.syllabus.com/syllabusmagazine/article.asp?ID=4135

      Communitygods: DEFINING THE ON-LINE COMMUNITY/DISTANCE LEARNING
      The symbiosis between education reform and the integration of
      technology into learning is profound: technology requires the rich
      learning environments envisioned by reformers; reform demands the
      power of technology to put people at the centre of their own
      learning. People at the centre of their own learning have the
      opportunity to take on all the roles described as possible for a true
      community. Such communities will not replace the more structured
      resources course or training program they are the value add that
      makes the program worthwhile.
      http://www.communitygods.com/education.htm

      Current Issue of ComputerWorld ROI:
      http://computerworld.com/roi/may

      June 4, 2001: Transportation cyberdean lives for e-learning
      Program manager of department's virtual university brings fervor
      and marketing experience to an expanding curriculum
      http://www.gcn.com/vol20_no13/news/4381-1.html

      Training spans the world: Diverse, dispersed IT staffs present
      challenges By Lisa Kosan, eWEEK: January 29, 2001 12:00 AM ET
      http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2677491,00.html

      The Failings Of Distance Learning: Web-based training may be cheap
      and simple, but most IT pros lack either the self-discipline or the
      learning style that makes it effective for many technology training
      needs.
      http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO56973,00.html

      Training Methods Should Reflect Content
      http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO58250,00.html

      June 4, 2001: E-learning catches on Agencies save money and time
      through online training BY RICHARD W. WALKER | GCN STAFF
      http://www.gcn.com/vol20_no13/news/4386-1.html

      June 4, 2001: E-learning formats run from A to Z: Here are seven
      samples
      http://www.gcn.com/vol20_no13/news/4380-1.html

      Computers with a view: Feds exploit Napster-style technology
      BY Dan Caterinicchia, May 14, 2001
      http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0514/cov-fednap-05-14-01.asp

      IM-ing will overtake e-mail, BY Dan Caterinicchia, May 14, 2001
      http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0514/cov-extra-05-14-01.asp

      UCITA RUNNING ON EMPTY
      On July 1, UCITA was formally enacted as law in Virginia. Now that the
      day has passed, however, it turns out that there may be more reason
      than ever for anti-UCITA optimism.
      http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=503537

      HOW DOES YOUR ISP RATE?
      (Source: Network World Fusion) Network World and eTesting Labs teamed
      to rank the top ISPs in the business-to-business, national and
      regional ISP markets.
      http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=503538

      TRENDS SECTION

      Remember, It's Only a Movie ... | by Anni Layne: Will scientists and
      engineers produce artificially intelligent humanoids like Spielberg's
      David within the next 100 years? Will robots learn to accept and
      return human love? How far away is the future? Even the gurus
      disagree.
      http://robin.fastcompany.com/cgi-bin/nph-t.pl?U=364&M=69644&MS=594

      EMERGING TECH SECTION

      PDAS & ACCESSORIES TAKE CENTER STAGE AT PC EXPO
      (Source: PCWorld.com) A few new handhelds and plenty of wireless PDA
      add-ons are proliferating at PC Expo.
      http://www.techinformer.com/go.cgi?id=501473

      FIRST LOOK: THE SIMS ONLINE
      (Source: GamePro.com) After one extraordinarily successful game, two
      equally successful expansion packs, and the impending arrival of
      SimsVille, there's really only one territory left for EA's
      virtual homo sapiens to spreadĀ…into that realm known as The
      Internet.
      http://www.techinformer.com/go.cgi?id=501474

      DOES YOUR PDA LIVE UP TO ALL THE HYPE?
      (Source: Darwin Magazine) Armed with a Palm Vx Handheld with an
      OmniSky modem and a Sprint PCS cell phone, our intrepid reporter
      spends a day in Manhattan surfing the unwired Web.
      http://www.techinformer.com/go.cgi?id=501475

      Online Learning Magazine: POCKET-SIZED LESSONS
      Will we one day use handheld computers to learn how to do our jobs?
      Some vendors are betting on it.
      http://www.onlinelearningmag.com/new/jul01/cover.htm

      TABLET-SIZED PCS ARE BACK
      (Source: Network World Fusion) If you believe hardware vendors have
      their finger on the pulse of mobile computing, then the future is
      tablet-sized handhelds. Again.
      http://www.techinformer.com/go.cgi?id=501476

      Instant Messaging Goes to Work
      Trying to ban instant messaging in your workplace is a losing
      strategy. Here's how to make IM pay off. Robert Poe 07/10/2001 issue
      http://www.business2.com/magazine/2001/07/instant_messaging.htm

      Intel to make 'significant' roadmap changes next week
      Leaked email hinting at the death of the desktop Pentium III?

      Setting Standards for Games (Unwired News 2:00 a.m. PDT)
      The mobile phone giants plan to create technical standards for
      wireless games. Also: More bizarre SMS stories, Rhode Island may
      become the next state to bust drivers for DWY, and more, in this
      week's Unwired News. By Elisa Batista.
      http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,44966,00.html?tw=wn20010704

      SECURITY SECTION

      The social engineering of security: By David Thompson, eWEEK
      June 11, 2001 12:00 AM ET
      http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2771372,00.html

      A Ruse by Any Other Name: Protect yourself against the devious tricks
      that some folks in the business employ (whether they'll admit to it
      or not)
      http://www.darwinmag.com/read/060101/defense_sidebar_1.html

      Next Windows to work with Pentagon's PKI
      Microsoft officials have agreed to alter the next-generation
      Windows operating system so that it will accommodate the
      existing digital certificate being used on Defense Department
      Common Access Cards.
      http://www.civic.com/fcw/articles/2001/0702/tec-pki-07-02-01.asp

      HUMOR AND MISC. SECTION