HTML5 Video in ArcaOS...?

  • Martin Rosenfeld
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20
      Hi,

      Could someone please explain to me the situation at present with HTML5
      videos and ArcaOS? When I try to watch many videos from various web
      sites I get messages that say my browser, TB 45.8, does not support
      HTML5 video playback. Should ArcaOS support HTML5 videos? Can it be
      tweaked to do so?

      Martin Rosenfeld
    • Neil Waldhauer
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20
        On 11/20/17 02:53 pm, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
        [eCS-Technical] wrote:
        > Could someone please explain to me the situation at present with HTML5
        > videos and ArcaOS? When I try to watch many videos from various web
        > sites I get messages that say my browser, TB 45.8, does not support
        > HTML5 video playback. Should ArcaOS support HTML5 videos? Can it be
        > tweaked to do so?

        No tweaking required. Use Firefox, not Thunderbird.

        HTML5 is text. That text can specify any video format (there are 10,000s
        of formats). Some will play in on the OS/2 Firefox.

        I still recommend a trick for video. If you see a video you want to
        watch, but a website says you can't, search for the same video on
        YouTube. That may well play on our Firefox.

        2nd trick. Just watch it on your phone.

        --
        Neil Waldhauer neil@... www.blondeguy.com
        Expert consulting for OS/2 Warp, ArcaOS and eComStation
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20
          Neil,

          >> Could someone please explain to me the situation at present with HTML5
          >> videos and ArcaOS? When I try to watch many videos from various web
          >> sites I get messages that say my browser, TB 45.8, does not support
          >> HTML5 video playback. Should ArcaOS support HTML5 videos? Can it be
          >> tweaked to do so?
          > No tweaking required. Use Firefox, not Thunderbird.

          FF was a typo, I meant to correct it to TB but forgot and sent.

          > HTML5 is text. That text can specify any video format (there are 10,000s
          > of formats). Some will play in on the OS/2 Firefox.

          So if it doesn't play then i should assume that ArcaOS doesn't support
          that format?

          > 2nd trick. Just watch it on your phone.

          That doesn't fix OS/2!

          Martin
        • Dave Yeo
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20
            [eCS-Technical] wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Could someone please explain to me the situation at present with HTML5
            > videos and ArcaOS? When I try to watch many videos from various web
            > sites I get messages that say my browser, TB 45.8, does not support
            > HTML5 video playback. Should ArcaOS support HTML5 videos? Can it be
            > tweaked to do so?

            Firefox should support HTML5 video, never thought about Thunderbird,
            though IIRC TB doesn't execute JavaScript and most (all?) HTML5 video
            players are written in JavaScript.
            There was a regression in FF45.5 where the FFmpeg libs weren't loaded
            correctly, which would break H264 videos. HTML5 videos can use a few
            codecs, VP8, VP9 and H264 with perhaps H264 the most popular.
            Dave
          • Martin Rosenfeld
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21
              Dave,

              >> Could someone please explain to me the situation at present with HTML5
              >> videos and ArcaOS? When I try to watch many videos from various web
              >> sites I get messages that say my browser, TB 45.8, does not support
              >> HTML5 video playback. Should ArcaOS support HTML5 videos? Can it be
              >> tweaked to do so?
              > Firefox should support HTML5 video, never thought about Thunderbird,
              > though IIRC TB doesn't execute JavaScript and most (all?) HTML5 video
              > players are written in JavaScript.
              > There was a regression in FF45.5 where the FFmpeg libs weren't loaded
              > correctly, which would break H264 videos. HTML5 videos can use a few
              > codecs, VP8, VP9 and H264 with perhaps H264 the most popular.

              TB was a typo, should have been FF.

              Please tell me about codecs. Are they installed with ArcaOS? Must I
              locate them and install them myself? Install to Firefox? How?

              Martin
            • Dave Yeo
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21
                On 11/21/17 10:37 AM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                > Please tell me about codecs. Are they installed with ArcaOS? Must I
                > locate them and install them myself? Install to Firefox? How?

                Most of them are requirements, such as VP9, which you must already have
                installed to be running Firefox. The FFmpeg libs have to be installed on
                your LIBPATH and will be dynamically loaded by Firefox. Simplest is to
                use ANPM and install the FFmpeg libs or the whole FFmpeg package.
                Dave
              • Martin Rosenfeld
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21
                  Dave,

                  > Most of them are requirements, such as VP9, which you must already have
                  > installed to be running Firefox. The FFmpeg libs have to be installed on
                  > your LIBPATH and will be dynamically loaded by Firefox. Simplest is to
                  > use ANPM and install the FFmpeg libs or the whole FFmpeg package.

                  Thanks. I have ffmpeg installed by ANPM. I have bad luck with playing
                  videos at the sites I visit. Now I can't even play You Tube videos. I
                  guess I will need multiboot for the foreseeable future.

                  Martin
                • Dave Yeo
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21
                    On 11/21/17 12:19 PM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                    [eCS-Technical] wrote:

                    > Dave,
                    >
                    >> Most of them are requirements, such as VP9, which you must already have
                    >> installed to be running Firefox. The FFmpeg libs have to be installed on
                    >> your LIBPATH and will be dynamically loaded by Firefox. Simplest is to
                    >> use ANPM and install the FFmpeg libs or the whole FFmpeg package.
                    >
                    > Thanks. I have ffmpeg installed by ANPM. I have bad luck with playing
                    > videos at the sites I visit. Now I can't even play You Tube videos. I
                    > guess I will need multiboot for the foreseeable future.

                    You could try upgrading to 45.9, unluckily I forget where the zip is
                    located and the RPM is not generally available. You'd also need the
                    updated libcx from netlabs exp repository.
                    What exactly happens when you try to play a video at youtube? What is
                    reported if you right click and choose "statistics for sysadmins"?
                    Dave
                  • Martin Rosenfeld
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21
                      Dave,

                      > You could try upgrading to 45.9, unluckily I forget where the zip is
                      > located and the RPM is not generally available. You'd also need the
                      > updated libcx from netlabs exp repository.
                      > What exactly happens when you try to play a video at youtube? What is
                      > reported if you right click and choose "statistics for sysadmins"?

                      I am using FF45.9. It is on Hobbes.

                      The You Tube videos have "stats for nerds," which show everything is
                      downloading well and that it expects codec VP4(244)/opus(251), whatever
                      that is.

                      How can I get connected to netlabs exp. rep.?

                      Martin
                    • Dave Yeo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 21
                        On 11/21/17 02:38 PM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                        [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                        > Dave,
                        >
                        >> You could try upgrading to 45.9, unluckily I forget where the zip is
                        >> located and the RPM is not generally available. You'd also need the
                        >> updated libcx from netlabs exp repository.
                        >> What exactly happens when you try to play a video at youtube? What is
                        >> reported if you right click and choose "statistics for sysadmins"?
                        >
                        > I am using FF45.9. It is on Hobbes.

                        OK, good.

                        > The You Tube videos have "stats for nerds," which show everything is
                        > downloading well and that it expects codec VP4(244)/opus(251), whatever
                        > that is.

                        Sure it isn't VP9? There's a package to force H264, I have to look it up
                        though, it might help.

                        > How can I get connected to netlabs exp. rep.?

                        There should be a package, netlabs-exp or such in available packages,
                        install it, might have to restart anpm, not sure, it'll download the
                        package lists. Then just install libcx and libc. Afterwards uninstall
                        the netlabs-exp package and reboot.
                        Dave
                      • Martin Rosenfeld
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 22
                          Dave,

                          >> How can I get connected to netlabs exp. rep.?
                          >
                          > There should be a package, netlabs-exp or such in available packages,
                          > install it, might have to restart anpm, not sure, it'll download the
                          > package lists. Then just install libcx and libc. Afterwards uninstall
                          > the netlabs-exp package and reboot.

                          I installed netlabs-exp, and several downloads appeared, but no libx or
                          libc. ANPM showed these from its netlabs-rel:

                          libc0.66-35.oc00 i686
                          libcx0.50-1.oc00 i686

                          I reinstalled them both "just to be safe." Now FF-45.9 will not load. It
                          just starts to load and nothing shows. It showed the following in a trap
                          file in its directory:

                          Access Violation : libc066.dll and something about trying to read the
                          file at the wrong address.

                          It seems that I do need a (newer) libc and maybe libcx. Or maybe and
                          older one(s).

                          FF 45.9 seemed to run OK last night.

                          Can you or anyone help me to proceed from here?

                          Martin
                        • Dave Yeo
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 22
                            On 11/22/17 12:07 PM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                            [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                            > Dave,
                            >
                            >>> How can I get connected to netlabs exp. rep.?
                            >>
                            >> There should be a package, netlabs-exp or such in available packages,
                            >> install it, might have to restart anpm, not sure, it'll download the
                            >> package lists. Then just install libcx and libc. Afterwards uninstall
                            >> the netlabs-exp package and reboot.
                            >
                            > I installed netlabs-exp, and several downloads appeared, but no libx or
                            > libc. ANPM showed these from its netlabs-rel:

                            Weird.

                            > libc0.66-35.oc00 i686
                            > libcx0.50-1.oc00 i686
                            >
                            > I reinstalled them both "just to be safe." Now FF-45.9 will not load. It
                            > just starts to load and nothing shows. It showed the following in a trap
                            > file in its directory:
                            >
                            > Access Violation : libc066.dll and something about trying to read the
                            > file at the wrong address.
                            >
                            > It seems that I do need a (newer) libc and maybe libcx. Or maybe and
                            > older one(s).
                            >
                            > FF 45.9 seemed to run OK last night.
                            >
                            > Can you or anyone help me to proceed from here?

                            OK, looks like they've moved to rel. You're going to have to clean your
                            yum data (Manage-->YUM tools-->Cleanup--Metadata cache I believe) and
                            re-download the repository data. Just bad luck that you seem to have
                            caught the upstream update.
                            Dave
                          • Martin Rosenfeld
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 22
                              Dave,

                              > OK, looks like they've moved to rel. You're going to have to clean your
                              > yum data (Manage-->YUM tools-->Cleanup--Metadata cache I believe) and
                              > re-download the repository data. Just bad luck that you seem to have
                              > caught the upstream update.

                              I followed your instructions and rebuilt the metadata file. I used FIND
                              for libc and libcx. When I tried to install them i was told the were
                              already up to date and installed. I reinstalled them. When I tried to
                              run FF-45.9 I got the following trace error, I am appending just the
                              first few lines:

                              Process: H:\VEE\FIREFOX-45.9\FIREFOX.EXE (10/01/2017 13:38:13 47,497)
                              PID: 51 (81)
                              TID: 01 (1)

                              Filename: D:\USR\LIB\LIBC066.DLL (08/21/2017 14:00:26 1,361,663)
                              Address: 005B:1E58E820 (0001:0005E820)
                              Cause: Attempted to read from 00000001
                              (not a valid address)

                              Martin
                            • Dave Yeo
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 22
                                On 11/22/17 06:01 PM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                                [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                                > Dave,
                                >
                                >> OK, looks like they've moved to rel. You're going to have to clean your
                                >> yum data (Manage-->YUM tools-->Cleanup--Metadata cache I believe) and
                                >> re-download the repository data. Just bad luck that you seem to have
                                >> caught the upstream update.
                                >
                                > I followed your instructions and rebuilt the metadata file. I used FIND
                                > for libc and libcx. When I tried to install them i was told the were
                                > already up to date and installed. I reinstalled them. When I tried to
                                > run FF-45.9 I got the following trace error, I am appending just the
                                > first few lines:

                                Here's the direct link,
                                http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/i386/i686/libcx-0.6.0-1.oc00.i686.rpm
                                download it and use ANPM, Manage-->Install package from file to install it.
                                Dave
                              • Martin Rosenfeld
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 23
                                  Dave

                                  > Here's the direct link,
                                  > http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/i386/i686/libcx-0.6.0-1.oc00.i686.rpm
                                  > download it and use ANPM, Manage-->Install package from file to install it.

                                  Thanks. There is no "Manage" function that I could find in ANPM, so I
                                  dropped the RPM object on the ANPM object and it seemed to install. But
                                  I kept getting the error in libc (you sent me libcx), so I downloaded
                                  libc-develop and installed it. Now FF 45.9 loads, but when I check its
                                  Help function, it still says FF 45.5. Is this a minor bug that should be
                                  reported? Have you better standing to report it than I? How could i
                                  report it? Where?

                                  I still cannot get YouTube to play. I will work on that later in the
                                  week unless you have some more ideas. Do I need any add on to FF to play
                                  YouTube?

                                  Martin
                                • Dave Yeo
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 23
                                    On 11/23/17 11:31 AM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                                    [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                                    > Dave
                                    >
                                    >> Here's the direct link,
                                    >> http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/i386/i686/libcx-0.6.0-1.oc00.i686.rpm
                                    >> download it and use ANPM, Manage-->Install package from file to
                                    > install it.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks. There is no "Manage" function that I could find in ANPM,

                                    Probably difference in ANPM versions

                                    > so I
                                    > dropped the RPM object on the ANPM object and it seemed to install. But
                                    > I kept getting the error in libc (you sent me libcx), so I downloaded
                                    > libc-develop and installed it. Now FF 45.9 loads, but when I check its
                                    > Help function, it still says FF 45.5. Is this a minor bug that should be
                                    > reported? Have you better standing to report it than I? How could i
                                    > report it? Where?

                                    My Firefox correctly says 45.9. Perhaps you actually have 45.5? Or it's
                                    a bug that was fixed. I know when updating Thunderbird, it never seems
                                    to pick up the new version number.

                                    > I still cannot get YouTube to play. I will work on that later in the
                                    > week unless you have some more ideas. Do I need any add on to FF to play
                                    > YouTube?

                                    You shouldn't. I'll try to upload a new SM over the weekend for you to test.
                                    Dave
                                  • Dave Yeo
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 25
                                      Hi Martin,

                                      [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                                      > I still cannot get YouTube to play. I will work on that later in the
                                      > week unless you have some more ideas. Do I need any add on to FF to play
                                      > YouTube?

                                      What does your version of Firefox report for video support at
                                      http://html5test.com/ Should support most codecs excepting MPEG-4 SP and
                                      H264 for video and most audio except the dolby ones.
                                      You could also try this,
                                      https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9R2esr.en-US.os2_exp1.zip
                                      should be at the same level as the latest Firefox, slightly different
                                      optimization and won;t run on really old CPU's
                                      Dave
                                    • Martin Rosenfeld
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 28
                                        Dave,

                                        > What does your version of Firefox report for video support at
                                        > http://html5test.com/ Should support most codecs excepting MPEG-4 SP and
                                        > H264 for video and most audio except the dolby ones.

                                        H.264
                                        Ogg Theora
                                        WebM with VP8
                                        WebM with VP9

                                        I'll try SeaMonkey later.

                                        Martin
                                      • Martin Rosenfeld
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 28
                                          David Yeo,

                                          Please send me your personal email address.

                                          Martin Rosenfeld
                                        • Dave Yeo
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 28
                                            On 11/28/17 12:41 PM, Martin Rosenfeld rosenfeldmj@...
                                            [eCS-Technical] wrote:
                                            > David Yeo,
                                            >
                                            > Please send me your personal email address.

                                            Should be at the top of this mail under from:
                                            dave dot r dot yeo at gmail dot com
                                            Dave