other perspectives on DREs

  • Lorrie Faith Cranor
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2000
      [I think that among most voting experts, there is general
      consensus on a lot of things like a) we're not ready
      for remote online voting any time soon (with
      some disagreement from some of the vendors),
      b) punch cards are a big problem, and c) whatever
      technolgoy we do adopt has to have adequate audit
      trails. I think there is some disagreement about when
      and if Internet voting from polling sites should be pursued,
      and the suitability of DRE systems. Peter Neumann
      and Rebecca Mercuri have been outspoken against the
      use of currently available DRE systems (see Neumann's
      note, which I forwarded ysterday
      http://www.egroups.com/message/e-lection/245).
      Their views are based on many years of research in this area.
      However, other well-qualified experts take a somewhat
      different view. I am forwarding below the views of
      David Jefferson and Michael Shamos on DRE systems.
      For the paper Shamos references in
      his comments, see
      http://www.cpsr.org/conferences/cfp93/shamos.html --LFC]