Got hold of a worm drive winch. Anybody got pics/info on mounting one of these?

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hi guys,
      Happy New Year to you all, hope the sailing is good this year!

      The winch is rated at 500Kg, and has 4 bolt hole mounting points.
      I dont suppose the main bulkhead is strong enough to mount it to, but
      could a strengthening plate be made up to tie the bulkhead to the
      underside of the deck? Ideas please would be great help. I can make
      anything remember with ease!

      I have at last managed to remove ALL the treadmaster from the deck.
      It took 6 full days work to complete!! I can now prime the deck,
      ready to accept new paint and anti-slip paint on the patches where
      the treadmaster was.

      The new top washboard has been made to go with my fixed/glassed
      bottom board. It has an oval polycarbonate window in it to give light
      into the main cabin area. Locks are fitted to prevent it coming out.
      Still have to modify the top hatch rails and fixings yet for
      complete peace of mind there.

      The new keel top-pan is nearing completion. It should be ready for
      fitting my newly made pulleys to shortly. The bottom pulley is
      removable so I can remove the lift cable when she is in the water by
      pulling out an R clip. This should save the cable as I can keep it in
      the house well away from water! The yacht will be kept on a pontoon
      in a non tidal harbour. Pure luxury!

      The weather is all that is preventing me from getting the hull
      topsides painted now. I could do with getting her indoors, but am
      still searching for the ideal location for this.(cheap!)

      Thats how things are progressing with my renovation project.I am
      planning to have her in the water by mid April.

      Barry
    • pr.brunette@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
        Hi Barry I am looking to remove the treadmaster and repaint my topsides as well. I am curious to learn what method yo sed to remove the treadmaster. Yo can find a photo of my boat on the Member web site it is Seeadler from Canada. Cheers

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          Hi Barry.
          On hols in Cardigan this summer I had the opportunity to look at an Eboat-
          I can't remember the name offhand, but her owner (?Fraser) was there and
          allowed me to look her over, with interest in her sprayhood measurements.
          She also had a worm drive keel winch, mounted against the main bulkhead, i
          think on a backing piece, with the wire going vertically to a pulley hung
          from a stainless fabricated fitting through bolted to the mast base.
          No problems using it, and a good condition bulkhead should certainly be
          strong enough. i do have some photos somewhere if you were interested. I'm
          at work now, but let me know and i can try to post them!
          All the best
          Jonathan Pearce

          Jonathan Pearce
        • Barry
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            Hi guys,
            Thanks for the quick responses.

            I didnt think about running the cable vertically up the bulkhead to
            another pulley under the mast base.Good idea! If you could post pics,
            it would be perfect, thanks.

            I used a 4" wide scraper with replaceable blades to remove the
            treadmaster. I started with a regular paint scraper and a rubber
            mallet, but it was taking ages. I next tried a heat gun, which didnt
            help at all, cos it was stuck down with epoxy.
            The big scraper was ideal, but also very slow to use im afraid. I had
            to replace the blade for every patch removed. The treadmaster came up
            ok, it was the epoxy that gave the problems!!

            Any other winch mounting ideas for me??

            Barry
          • Barry
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2008
              Hi all,
              I dont think I will mount it onto the bulkhead itself. I had a better
              look last night, and it will bolt under the deck in from of the mast
              step, with stainless plates to strengthen it all up. Should work out
              ok. I will take some pics of the boat this weekend and post them in the
              gallery on Monday.

              Also, I just read the confessions page of "Yachting Monthly", and our
              own Jonathan has a story well worth reading about his experience with
              doing the dishes on board his E Boat!! Nice one! I will remember to
              keep a new pin on board, just in case.

              Barry