Re: [Dyslexia Club] Re: College

  • shpecky shpilkus
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002
      OK then how is it that you can receive money for college by being dyslexic? I have never heard of these types of things is it dependant on the state you live in? Any info would be appriciated greatly.
      jacktownfirechief <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Dyslexics are very intuitive....and intellegent. It is obvious in
      the sense you have decided to be tested by your state vocational
      rehabilitation office. As Ive stated in past queries....Ive been
      tested by the State of Oklahoma's Vocational Rehabilitation Services
      and am now certified as dyslexic. They also gave me an IQ test which
      shows Im smarter that 65% of the people my age. It is a known fact
      that dyslexics are of a higher intelligence. It is because of this,
      they are paying for me to go to sylvan learning center and giving me
      a full ride to any accredited 4 year college in the state of Oklahoma.

      Good Luck,

      Fellow Dyslexic

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        In a message dated 05/01/2002 11:18:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > I am considering going to college to study Interior Design. I plan to
        > get tested beforehand by Arkansas Rehab Services. I have never been
        > officially tested for dyslexia.

        I went to college with a lady who amoung other disabilities, had severe
        dyslexia. She was one of the most successful students in the class. Look
        into scholarships for dyslexics also. I think you will do wonderfully as
        long as you are following your heart.

        Blessings,
        Amy

      • jacktownfirechief
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2002
          It would depend on the state you live in. I have a 3.75 GPA in
          college, but have had to drop algebra three times or fail which would
          lower my grade point average. I go from A's to F's....due to my
          learning disorder. They are assisting me in building a bridge from
          my F's to my A's. If I made all decent grades then they probably
          wouldnt help. If my take home pay was over $3,000 a month, they
          probably wouldnt help. There is one thing you must remember as a
          dyslexic.....its hard, but you must be your own advocate! Never give
          up. No one will do it for you. We dyslexics have to work 5 times
          harder than everyone else just to be on their level, I believe that
          is why we eventually excel farther, because of the constant
          trying/thinking process. Most people are linear....meaning they
          think thru the middle of their brain, as we are global
          thinkers....thinking around the outer part of our brain. That is why
          we see the forest, and they only see trees......sorry, went off on a
          tangent.............Brian

          Question......How many of the group are left handed? (Right Minded)

          --- In dyslexiaclub@y..., shpecky shpilkus <willko1@y...> wrote:

          > OK then how is it that you can receive money for college by being
          dyslexic? I have never heard of these types of things is it
          dependant on the state you live in? Any info would be appriciated
          greatly.
          > jacktownfirechief <no_reply@y...> wrote: Dyslexics are very
          intuitive....and intellegent. It is obvious in
          > the sense you have decided to be tested by your state vocational
          > rehabilitation office. As Ive stated in past queries....Ive been
          > tested by the State of Oklahoma's Vocational Rehabilitation
          Services
          > and am now certified as dyslexic. They also gave me an IQ test
          which
          > shows Im smarter that 65% of the people my age. It is a known fact
          > that dyslexics are of a higher intelligence. It is because of
          this,
          > they are paying for me to go to sylvan learning center and giving
          me
          > a full ride to any accredited 4 year college in the state of
          Oklahoma.

          > Good Luck,
          >
          > Fellow Dyslexic
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • norstar_k9
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2002
            I write and eat with my left hand, but throw right handed.

            I would not be going to college where I live right now as they never
            tried to help me before, instead just labeling me as a troublemaker
            and being incredibly ugly to me. Arkansas is last in literacy and
            education and I am a victim of this state. I remember I made the
            highest grades they had ever seen on my GED test. I will let you know
            how it goes.