Re: [Dyslexia Club] Dr Levinson vist and cerebellar vestibular dysfunction diagn

  • astynaz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi Diana,

      Yes. It is the same Dr Harold Levinson that wrote the book,SMART BUT
      FEELING DUMB. I had the same reaction as your son. I agree. He is a
      great doctor. He seems very perceptive and understanding of Dyslexics.
      He has 2 Dyslexic daughters. I knew that I had to go see him because I
      knew that he would understand me. He understands the difference
      between Dyslexic speech and Psychotic speech. Psychiatrists
      misdiagnosed me psychotic because of my Dyslexic speech.

      I had jumbled up speech. The nuns asked my mom what language I spoke
      when I was in preschool. I was tested and my mom was told I had a form
      of Dyslexia. My mom was told that I was turning stuff around when I
      heard and that people need to slow down when talking to me. I did have
      auditory reversals. I was in special education for 3 yrs. I was taught
      to hear differently and had intensive speech therapy as well as
      phonics. I was noted to have problems with balance and coordination. I
      had therapy for my fine motor skills. I am rightbrained thinker. I am
      a visual-spatial learner. I am predominantly a picture,intuitive,and
      feeling type thinker and can think in 3-D. I visualize nonstop. I
      always visualize things before I actually do them. I have to create
      pictures in my head to understand words. I am also very sensitive. I
      am not outgoing. I am very introverted,reserved,and private. I do
      have high IQ. My Kiersey psychological profile is INFJ/INFP. I also
      took a vocational profile test for vocational rehabilitation,and it
      concluded that I am an artistic personality which doesn't like routine
      things.

      My father had speech problems(stammered,stuttered),auditory processing
      problems,and awkwardness with hands. My mother told me that she has a
      lot of the Dyslexic symptoms that were listed at Dr Levinson's site.
      She told me that her Uncle Gino is Dyslexic. She told me that her half
      brother Eddie was in special education for speech problems(stuttering)
      and hyperactivity,and he is lefthanded. My mother's father was
      lefthanded too. My mother is right handed with both left ear/eye
      dominance like me. She can write with her left hand. Actually I feel
      that I can too. I feel that it's just practice. After all, I had fine
      motor skills therapy to help me use my right hand any way. My family
      seem full of highly sensitive,artistic,creative,unconventional people.

      I made a mistake on the medication the prescribed. I meant to say
      Meclizine. Not Mescaline. I am sorry.

      Raymond

      --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, The Estate Sale Store
      <estatesalestore@s...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      > Great Info!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm new to the group and have been lurking
      a bit. Some of my background:
      > My name is Diana and I have been involved with True
      Dyslexia/ADD/ADHD and Autism for around 40+ years. I have four
      children that use to be afflicted with these illnesses; and yes, the
      school systems have paid plenty to educate my children. All had
      one-on-one Schooling thru public shools with Certified Mastered
      Degreed Special Ed Teachers (not aides) for a full 4-6 hours every
      day. My youngest son had his own teacher follow him around from
      5th-11th grade. All have gone on to college with the exception of
      one. Only one actually finished College and is now a Nurse. One left
      College 6 months prior to graduation and needs to go back and finish.
      One is a contractor and self-employed and went to college for
      Business Administration and one quit high school---my youngest girl
      (autistic). Not a bad track record.......as I brush my shoulder.
      Unfortunately, all have scars left behind from cruel, ignorant
      parents, administrators, teachers and students and have had to work on
      self-esteem
      > through the years. Of course, how were they afflicted with all
      these superhuman dual brain special gifts......genetics, of course.
      Yes gifts, since all are ambidextrous(sp?), outgoing, and have IQ's
      over 130.

      > Is this the Dr. Levinson which wrote the book "Smart but Feeling
      Dumb"? My oldest son looked at that book once and told me "that is
      just how I feel".
      > I bought that book and read it over and over about 18 years ago. He
      is an amazing doctor and obviously right up-to-date with the latest
      research from Dr. Paula Tallal. At that time he was using
      antihistamine/sudafed/robitussin/etc. type meds and other OTC type
      cold remedy meds with great success and, of course, now we know why
      they worked since these open up the inner ear canal from excess
      pressure/water, etc. Dr. Tallal is a researcher who has a unique
      special reading program/system. She uses a computer program with
      attached earphones in a game format which slows down the sound
      consonants so younger children will be able to hear them properly thus
      converting the sounds into the correct letters. True dyslexics
      usually have early speech disorders, as well as, reversals. It's an
      amazing system and not widely available but should be. I'll try to
      remember the name of it, but I'm sure a search on the web would bring
      it up with her name.

      > My brother is ADHD and one of my son's is ADD/Dyslexic. I truly
      believe that ADHD/ADD are caused by allergies. I was able to correct
      my son's ADD through diet....no dyes (for him at least).

      > Best of luck to you......sounds like you're absolutely on the right
      track. By the way, avoidance and anxiety are "symptoms" not illnesses
      or diseases. I've got those two problems caused by an ancient long
      time disease called "lazziness" and "fear". LOL

> [...]
      > Saccade - abnormal
      > Optokinetic - abnormal
      > Gaze - normal
      >
      > Rotational testing measures vestibular response to rotation. The
      > patient is rotated, which induces a rapid, rhythmic nystagmus. If the
      > nystagmus is dysrhythmic,hypo,or hyper, this is considered to be an
      > abnormal vestibular response.
      >
      > Saccade testing - a dot moves randomly on the screen and the patient
      > must chase it with his/her eyes. A saccade is a quick,jerky eye
      > movement which positions a visual target on the retina. The
      > cerebellum plays a role in associating the functions of various brain
      > stem structures related to generating saccades
      >
      > Pursuit testing - the dot cycles back and forth across the screen and
      > measures the patient's ability to make smooth eye movements. Smooth
      > pursuit eye movements continuously follow a a moving target with a
      > high acuity retinal region. An inability to produce smooth pursuit
      > movements is known to result from cerebellar dysfunction.
      >
      > Optokinetic testing - a series of dots move off of the screen causing
      > the patient to rapidly refix his gaze, testing the ocular reflex.
      > Optokinetic testing involves continuous drifting and rapidly
      > resetting eye movements
      >

      > AUDIOLOGICAL TESTING
      > 3D Auditory Scanner - abnormal
      >

      > POSTUROGRAPHY - Many of the symptoms in an inner ear disorder
      > (imbalance,dizziness,motion sickness,etc.) can sometimes result from
      > other illnesses as well (i.e. extreme stess and anxiety, dysfunction
      > of cerebral and other related CNS structures). Posturography aids in
      > this differentiation since since a vestibular dysfunction produces a
      > specific, quantifiable frequency and pattern of movement which is
      > distinct from that caused by other disorders.
      > It assesses overall balance function (sensory integration), vision
      > dependence, proprioception(internal senses)dependence,symmetry of
      > weight bearing,lateral sway,and overall assessment of vestibular
      > deficit
      >
      > Sway Frequency - vestibular problems, borderline central cerebellar
      > problems, borderline motor cortex problems
      > Weight distribution - mild abnormal
      > Stability - mild abnormal
      > Lateral Sway - mild abnormal
      >
      > Sway Frequency - this helps to determine the location of a balance
      > impairment.
      >
      > Weight Distribution - the bearing of one's weight in an abnormal and
      > dysmetic fashion(i.e. to put more weight on the heels or left foot,
      > per se) can indicate either a cerebellar determined muscle tone
      > imbalance, or a vestibular imbalance.
      >
      > Stability - this is a measure of the overall level of instability,
      > which is compared to normal subjects in a determination of postural
      > control.
      >
      > Lateral Sway - a large degree of lateral sway is seen in intoxicated
      > subjects and results from vestibular impairment. This is also true
      > for the non-intoxicated patient suffering from a vestibular problem.

    • The Estate Sale Store

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hi Diana,

            Dr Levinson is in Great Necks, NY. That is Long Island area
            You send the correspondence to your kids' emails.