Psychologist and LD/ADHD assessment

  • astynaz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 12:17 PM
      Hi,

      I asked my mother to answer questions on my developmental history so I
      can give to Dr Levinson.
      She told me that she got me tested for my speech problems when I was 4
      yrs old,and she was told that I had a form of Dyslexia in that I
      turned around things that I heard.....auditory form of dyslexia...I
      was trained to hear things differently..........so I was recognized as
      dyslexic at 4 yrs old. I had the speech therapy and coordination
      therapy in 3 yrs of special education. I had poor gross motor skills
      and poor fine motor skills. Therefore,I had Dyspraxia which compounded
      my Auditory Dyslexia. I was called "retard" for not only my language
      processing difficulties but also for my coordination difficulties.
      There was no way that I could cover up my problems like many Dyslexics
      do.

      Mom told me that there were no concerns of attention problems. Nobody
      told her any of that stuff either. Not even teachers. Mom definitely
      didn't believe that I had attention deficit disorder. She didn't see
      me having attention problems.

      I told my mom that she must have said said something to psychologist
      that confirmed my attention problems during my LD/ADHD assessment last
      year to confirm that I have inattentive type ADHD. She told me that
      the psychologist only asked her a couple of questions and nothing
      about my speech!

      Psychologist didn't let my mom go over my developmental history with
      her. That's not right. If she had known...she would have had to
      consider that auditory processing difficulties can easily cause those
      inattentive ADHD symptoms.

      I paid the psychologist 1000 dollars. At least,she should have gotten
      all the facts down before she assumed that I have ADD.

      An ADD questionnnaire and a TOVA test that makes you dizzy and
      disoriented and not bored doesn't mean that you have ADD.

      this also makes me realize that I better watch about my own dyslexic
      children getting misdiagnosed as ADD when their ADD symptoms are
      really from Dyslexia ..especially auditory processing issues causing
      problems with listening

      Keep the Dyslexics off the Ritalin and other ADD drugs - that's what I
      believe.

      Raymond