what is that thing that reads words?

  • Shelli
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2004
      Does anyone know the name of the thing that you scan words with and it reads them? It is kind of like a pen I believe. I want to check into it more and can't remember the name of it.

    • Carol Threet
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 13, 2004
        The Reading Pen II

        2048 & navigator.userAgent.indexOf('MSIE')>=0) W= W.substring( 0, 2043)+"&tu=1"; document.write('');}wtl_Tag5_119048();//-->

        Product options:
        The Reading Pen II $269.00 The Reading Pen Basic $269.00 Memory Extension Kit - 4 MB $69.95 [input]

        �The Ultimate Portable Reading Tool� is a fully portable, pen-shaped scanner & audible dictionary designed for:

        � people with reading difficulties, such as dyslexia, from grade 2 through adulthood
        � middle and high school students, to build large vocabularies for college entry exams

        Products Advantages and Features:
        Features the ability to scan word or line of text, repeats words out loud, shows definition of words (contains American Heritage Dictionary). Includes 2 AAA batteries, earphone and operating manual. Easy to learn---in about 15 minutes, reader can learn functions for independent study, in and out of classroom.

        Specifications:
        � Captures text within seconds (over three times faster than our original Reading Pen)
        � Improved accuracy
        � Displays and speaks dictionary definition
        � Single word/Full line scanning
        � Large character display
        � Reads words aloud
        � Recognizes 6-22 point size text, bold, italic, underlined, inverted text Scans left to right, and right to left
        � Displays syllables
        � Spells words out loud
        � Keeps a history of scanned words
        � An Opticard lets you input text manually
        � Adjustable for left and right handed users
        � Ergonomic 6" x 1 1/2" x 1", lightweight - 3 oz.
        � Contains over 200,000 definitions from The American Heritage� College Dictionary, Third Edition Copyright � 1997, 1993 by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

        Comes complete with:
        � User Manual
        � Quick Reference
        � Card Carrying Case (plastic) with Opticard
        � Earphone
        � 2 �AAA� batteries

        Warranty
        This product is warranted against defects for 1 year from date of purchase.

        New Product!
        Reading Pen Basic

        The Reading Pen Basic Edition is a fully portable self contained, assistive reading device that is designed specifically for school age reading levels. Featuring American Heritage Children's Dictionary and Children's Thesaurus, it provides a simple and easy way for people with reading difficulties, learning disabilities or dyslexia to get immediate word support when they are reading.

        � Scan a single word or complete line of text
        � Recognizes printed fonts (6-22 point), bold, italic, underlined and inverted
        � Speaks and spells words, sentences, definitions and thesaurus
        � Displays dictionary, Thesaurus entries and syllabication of words
        � Easy access to dictionary or Thesaurus
        � Scans in either direction for left or right-handed use
        � Recgnizes over 240,000 words featuring the American Heritage Children's Dictionary and Thesaurus
        � Defines words within the definition for added clarity
        � Ability to block access to the dictionary and Thesaurus for use during exams
        � Keeps a history of the last 80 words scanned for easy review
        www.enablemart.com
        Hope this helps,

        Carol

        Shelli <merk4@...> wrote:
        Does anyone know the name of the thing that you scan words with and it reads them? It is kind of like a pen I believe. I want to check into it more and can't remember the name of it.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Carol Threet
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2004
          Also, go to a search engine and type in The reading pen and it will pull up a bunch of areas with better prices for this pen on some of the websites.

          Carol

          Shelli wrote:
          Does anyone know the name of the thing that you scan words with and it reads them? It is kind of like a pen I believe. I want to check into it more and can't remember the name of it.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Shelli
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2004
            Thanks Carol. That's it!
            Shelli

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2004
              So far, the cheapest I've found is $200.00 on ebay (brand new). Is that about the cheapest I will find?
              Shelli

              Shelli wrote:
              Does anyone know the name of the thing that you scan words with and it reads them? It is kind of like a pen I believe. I want to check into it more and can't remember the name of it.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Carol Threet