Re: [Dyslexia Club] Re: My introduction and another one :-)

  • Lee Chun-Soo
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2 12:02 AM
      Hi Si,

      I have no idea what new features have been added since version 4, I was using version 6. You should probably check out their website or something. It would probably be more helpful than me!

      Their site is: www.texthelp.com

      Lee

      simonjames30 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      I have to say i am using a pretty old version. I use version 4. But
      i might be intresting in upgrading, what new features have they
      added?

      Si

      --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, Lee Chun-Soo
      <leechunsoo2003@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Simon,
      >
      > What version of Read and Write are you using? They launched a new
      version in January, I of course couldnt resist buying it. It has
      loads more stuff on it compared to older ones.

      > Just to let you know they sent me an email to say that existing
      users can get up to 50% of the price of Read and Write 7, incase you
      are interested.

> [...]
      > > > Also, higher self esteems lead to fewer relationship
      > > > problems as
      > > > adults. There are even studies that suggest that
      > > > kids on meds have
      > > > higher IQ's � makes sense, if you can pay attention
      > > > long enough to
      > > > learn the skill, you'll have that skill at your
      > > > disposal to use, if
      > > > you can't, you won't�..
      > > > I find that the issue isn't so much that my kid
      > > > needs meds so
      > > > much as it is that there maybe something wrong that
      > > > I can't fix and
      > > > that may be my fault. Get rid of the guilt! The
      > > > second problem I
      > > > find is "What WILL the neighbors think?!" For both
      > > > of these ideas I
      > > > ask this: If your child were diabetic and required
      > > > insulin, you
      > > > wouldn't worry about these issues would you?? Let
      > > > the guilt and
      > > > worry about what everyone else thinks go and work on
      > > > educated
      > > > assumptions and knowledge to solve the problem.
      > > > Now to address the Dyslexia problem. The teacher
      > > > is VERY,
      > > > VERY uninformed, a personal pet peeve of mine!
      > > > PLEASE send me her
      > > > email address and I'll be more than happy to explain
      > > > to her how
      > > > Dyslexia is a brain STRUCTURE (meaning the brain is
      > > > BUILT
      > > > differently) and PROCESSING (because the brain is
      > > > different)
      > > > difference NOT AT ALL chemical like in ADD/ADHD,
      > > > bipolar, OCD etc.
      > > > Nor is it a "will" problem. There are actually
      > > > scientific studies
      > > > where they've taken pictures of the brain doing
      > > > language tasks and
      > > > they've found that the Dyslexic brain actually
      > > > process language in a
      > > > DIFFERENT area of the brain than "normals". In some
      > > > cases the brain
      > > > doesn't register sounds of particular letters at
      > > > ALL! That is why
      > > > they will often mispronounce words they've heard
      > > > auditor ally. The
      > > > system is archaic � there is NO excuse to NOT be up
      > > > on the current
      > > > scientific research � ESPECIALLY if you are
      > > > diagnosing kids for
      > > > labels and placement! That is negligence and that
      > > > warrants a law
      > > > suit, not for IEP accommodations but for a
      > > > scientifically researched
      > > > and proven multisensory, explicit, direct
      > > > instructional approach.
      > > > The IDA recommends several good programs to that
      > > > end. If you'd like
      > > > to know of a good program that you can do with your
      > > > student, contact
      > > > me off list and I'll give you the info so you can
      > > > evaluate it for
      > > > yourself.
      > > > Sorry this is sooo long. I get upset when the
      > > > child suffers
      > > > for our misunderstanding and systems refuse to take

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • simonjames30
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2 10:28 AM
        Thanks Lee, i am sure they have improved it laods as mine is a
        really old version, i wonder though have they improved the read back
        voice :) that is so annoying. but other than that its so usful a
        program.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2 11:55 PM
          Si,

          I think the voices probably have changed a bit since the one you have. My new one has Microsoft SAPI 5 voices and Realspeak voices. I dont even think they were about when version 4 was sold. But I could be wrong!

          <leechunsoo2003@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > > attended K and 1st grade...a disaster. I withdrew him
          > > > and have been unschooling. But, as and essentric older
          > > > mother with MS, my mouth gets tired reading everything
          > > > aloud to him. I did get him officially dx (a long,
          > > > drown out expensive process) to convince my husband
          > > > (his daddy...he thought that if he was just more
          > > > disciplined he could do what he can not do) that what
          > > > I was saying and we were working with was real, and so
          > > > that I can get some supplemental services, such a
          > > > tutor or appropriate private schooling for him. The
          > > > public school ESE, at least in our area, is
          > > > overflowing with behavior problem kids, ie bullies.
          > > >
          > > > So a list of programs, etc., would be nice, especially
          > > > if your suggestions are the same as what I have come
          > > > up with, so far. Or if there is something else that is
          > > > easily to get to (ha! we live 10 miles from anywhere)

        • leechunsoo2003
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 18 7:21 AM
            Simon,

            I noticed today that texthelp have added a version comparison to
            their website. This might help you to work out if the voices have
            changed. The link is:

            http://www.texthelp.com/rwcompare7g.asp?q1=products&q2=rwg&q3=comp

            Hope this helps,

            Lee

            --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, simonjames30 <no_reply@y...>

          • Sharon Rudd
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 18 7:43 AM
              I have asked that literature and CD be sent. Thank you
              for the information. And the link. The testimonials
              sure sound good :-)
              Sharon of the Swamp

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools