Reading program

  • ctj2hvn
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2003
      Can anyone tell me what reading programs that have worked for their
      child? Trudy
    • simonjames30
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
        There are several programs around, i personnaly would stick to the
        tryed and tested mulitysensory teaching programs. They may not offer
        the quick fixes but they do work and they dont cost any where near
        as much as some of the quick fixes options that may or may not work.

        Si

        --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, "ctj2hvn" <trudy@.....>
        wrote:
        > Can anyone tell me what reading programs that have worked for
        their
        > child? Trudy
      • ctj2hvn
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
          --At the risk of being both dyslexic and dense, what are the tried
          and tested ones you speak of? Trudy

          In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, simonjames30 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > There are several programs around, i personnaly would stick to the
          > tryed and tested mulitysensory teaching programs. They may not
          offer
          > the quick fixes but they do work and they dont cost any where near
          > as much as some of the quick fixes options that may or may not
          work.

          > Si
          >

          > --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, "ctj2hvn" <trudy@r...>
          > wrote:
          > > Can anyone tell me what reading programs that have worked for
          > their
          > > child? Trudy
        • jumpher
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2003
            The International Dyslexia Association www.interdys.org has a list of
            multisensory programs that are Orton-Gillingham based and have
            longitudinal studies to back them up.

            So many of these "quick fix" programs can not stand up to the test of
            time. The short term results are outstanding, but after 6 months to
            a year, students are right back where they started. The effect on
            their self esteem is TERRIBLE!

            Remember, dyslexia remediation is not a quick fix, so to speak. It
            is caused by the inherited trait of a difference in brain structure
            AND the actual way the brain works! Don't waste your time, money, or
            your child's fragile self esteem on programs that promise the world
            very quickly. This is not a process that can be "fixed" over night
            and for some students, they will continue to struggle in school, but
            school is such a short time in their lives, protect their self image
            and you'll have a kid ready to tackle the world where it really
            counts.

            --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, "ctj2hvn" <trudy@r...> wrote:
            > --At the risk of being both dyslexic and dense, what are the tried
            > and tested ones you speak of? Trudy
            >
            > In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, simonjames30 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > > There are several programs around, i personnaly would stick to
            the
            > > tryed and tested mulitysensory teaching programs. They may not
            > offer
            > > the quick fixes but they do work and they dont cost any where
            near
            > > as much as some of the quick fixes options that may or may not
            > work.
            > >
            > > Si
            > >

            > > --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, "ctj2hvn" <trudy@r...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Can anyone tell me what reading programs that have worked for
            > > their
            > > > child? Trudy
          • ctj2hvn
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2003
              Jumpher, thank you for sending in the reply to my SOS. I will go to
              the link you provided and learn, learn, learn! I do know that
              rushing into the wrong thing is equal to doing nothing and will take
              your advice seriously. Trudy

            • don_nairn
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
                Hi People,

                My reading never was a problem my spelling is terrible. However I would suggest trying to get something the person enjoys a steady
                continuos approach will probably achieve more in the long term than the magic short-term cure. Personally I don't think there is a cure
                but dyslexia can be managed so the person can manage everyday things. Remember there are certain tasks that dyslexics excel at.

                --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, "ctj2hvn" <trudy@r...> wrote:
                > Can anyone tell me what reading programs that have worked for their
                > child? Trudy
              • jumpher
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
                  Dyslexia isn't a disease, it is the way the brain is structured, so
                  there isn't a *cure*. If you are dyslexic - if your brain is built
                  this way, there is no changing it without something like brain
                  surgery where the brain is physically altered - and I've never heard
                  of that.... Yet, current research shows that we can train the brain
                  to think differently and there isn't a short term strategy for that.
                  Just as it takes time to become good at basketball, it will take the
                  dyslexic brain time to adjust and learn to function differently.
                  It worries me that new scientific research is out there but it's not
                  filtering down to those who need it very well. There are still a lot
                  of misconceptions out there regarding dyslexia and the correct
                  approach to remediation and teaching for dyslexics.