Is dyslexia a medical condition?

  • speshulkids
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
      I sat in a meeting today trying to figure out how to serve a child
      that is obviously dyslexic. I have no difficulty identifying his
      problems to be dyslexia due to numerous college classes and Orton
      Training. I do realize I can't identify him and recommended to a
      parent that she seek professional identification. The team that I
      was a member of said that Dyslexia is NOT a medical condition.
      Please help settle this dispute. Is dyslexia a medical condition?
      If so, please forward any literature or sites that simply state this
      fact. If I am wrong, then I must go back to and educate myself.
      HELP STRAIGHTEN THIS DISCUSSION!
    • harry_at_clubi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
        The World Health Organisation (WHO) has this very good definition of
        dyslexia in two of it's publications,

        ICD-10, The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and
        Related Health Problems, tenth revision
        ICIDH-2, The International Classification of Impairments, Activities,
        and Participation
        These define dyslexia as:-

        "A disorder manifested by difficulty learning to read, despite
        conventional instruction, adequate intelligence and sociocultural
        opportunity. It is dependent upon fundamental cognitive
        disabilities which are frequently of constitutional origin".

        This, I feel, is a very good definition as it says that dyslexia is
        dependent on cognitive disabilities which are present from birth.
        That also rules out such factors as poor teaching, social problems,
        poor motivation as well as low intelligence.

        If that dosn't make it a medical condition I don't know what would.
        For more info goto http://www.who.int/en/ and use the search box to
        search for dyslexia, icd-10 or ICIDH-2.

        Harry
      • don_nairn
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2003
          My thoughts are that dyslexia is a human characteristic such as skin
          colour. How this would give in individual an advantage or disadvantage
          would depend on the environment the individual is in. However society
          in general is very poor at catering for those with different needs.

          Remember that dyslexic people has done some very clever things.

          If the majority of people had dyslexia I am certain that it would not
          be considered a medical condition.

          --- In dyslexiaclub@yahoogroups.com, "speshulkids" <teachrib@b...>