Macros

  • Frederick R. Vobbe
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2013
      Just wondering if anyone has a web page with more information on writing
      macros? I posted a while ago about this, and have performed some searches,
      but the information still evades me.

      ---

      Frederick R. Vobbe, W8HDU

      706 Mackenzie Drive - Lima, Ohio 45805-1835

      419-228-6223 (22VOBBE)

    • Christopher Morrison
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
        Dear Frederick,

        I am glad that you raised this here - I asked a similar question a couple of months ago. Despite some direct correspondence with Alex, I never really got a practical answer on how to write macros. Specifically I am still not sure whether they are written as edits to existing files in the win.ini files or whether they have to be edited actually in the macro window, which is very tedious to do and doesn't always work. It especially doesn't seem to work between different programs in the suite. A clear and unambiguous step-by-step instruction on where and how to edit macros would be a great addition to the manual for these, otherwise excellent, programs!!

        What does anyone else think?
        Best wishes,

        Chris Morrison, HB9HFB
      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
          Guys

          I have MACRO written and I can email direct to you my MACROS by list and by JPG. Then you can analyze them and compare them with the MACRO list available by Alex in the software. That may be a good starting point in understanding.

          Email me direct at dan-schaaf at att dot net

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf
          =================================
          K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
          60 Meters www.60metersonline.net
          =================================
          NOBSKA www.nobska.net
          Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
          Tel: 941-766-0706
          Fax: 941-766-0707
          =================================

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
            This sounds like a good project for someone who understands the macros and
            how to properly format them in the program. Hopefully, someone can come up
            with a web page with better descriptions and examples.

            As a new user of this mode and software, I'm very frustrated by the lack of
            information. Since I have the software I'm committed. But if another ham
            asks about TrueTTY I'm probably going to tell them to look elsewhere.

            If someone does this, please make the examples in standard html and not a
            graphic. I know it looks nicer to show a menu, but for new users having
            text they can highlight, copy, and edit works much better. Blind hams are
            often excluded when examples are only in images.

            Fred/W8HDU

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
              Hello

              Please tell what you want kind of macros you need and I will try to
              explain how do this.

              2013/6/1 Christopher Morrison <chrismorrison@...>

              > **
              >

              > Dear Frederick,
              >
              > I am glad that you raised this here - I asked a similar question a couple
              > of months ago. Despite some direct correspondence with Alex, I never really
              > got a practical answer on how to write macros. Specifically I am still not
              > sure whether they are written as edits to existing files in the win.ini
              > files or whether they have to be edited actually in the macro window, which
              > is very tedious to do and doesn't always work. It especially doesn't seem
              > to work between different programs in the suite. A clear and unambiguous
              > step-by-step instruction on where and how to edit macros would be a great
              > addition to the manual for these, otherwise excellent, programs!!
              >
              > What does anyone else think?
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Chris Morrison, HB9HFB

              Best regards

              Alexander Anipkin

            • Frederick R. Vobbe
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
                It would be nice to have a list of all the available (usable) macros within
                the program, and how they should be used. For example, this is how I have
                my CQ set up. I don't know if it's right as I've yet to make a contact
                using it. I'm only on contact #2 in PSK31. This is what I have for Macro
                1:

                ~[cl] ~[tx] cq cq cq de ~[m4] ~[m4] ~[m4] cq cq cq de ~[m4] ~[m4] ~[m4] cq
                cq cq de ~[m4] ~[m4] ~[m4] pse k `[rx] ~[lf]

                Macro 4 contains only "W8HDU" without the quotes.

                My reply to a call for CQ is Macro 2, and it reads:

                ~[tx]~[ec] de ~[m4] ~[m4] ~[m4] pls k ~[lf]

                My signal report is Macro 3, and it reads:

                ~[tx]~[ec] de ~[m4] ~[m4]. You are ~[er] into Lima, Ohio. Lima, Ohio.
                Grid: EN70. How copy? pls k ~[lf]

                And my last one is Macro 5, which is used as a sign-off:

                ~[tx]~[ec] de ~[m4] ... Thanks for the contact. I'm good in Callbook, QRZ.
                Pls QSL direct or by eQSL. ~[ec] de ~[m4] 73 & best of DX. ~[m4] CUL sk
                ~[cl] ~[lf]

                From the docs I've found this seems to be the norm for most contacts.

                One question I have is the ~[rx] command, which only seems to work about
                half the time. I'm not sure if that's a bug, or an undocumented feature
                when combined with other macros. What would want the macro to do is turn on
                the transmitter with the ~[tx] and then run the rest of the macro and then
                go to receive. For some reason I have to leave the ~[rx] out, and then just
                click on the TX icon at the top to shut off the transmitter. I would be
                good to get some clarification on this.

                Fred/W8HDU

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
                  Hello Alex,

                  Thanks for coming back. I only commented because I saw immediately that Frederick had exactly the same problem as I did.
                  OK - here's the issue:

                  1.I recently purchased a suite of different programs from DXSoft - AALog3, CWType and TrueTTY

                  2. I would like to be able to use just one set of macros for all of them given that these programs 'talk' to each other.

                  3. The instructions for the individual programs have listed in some detail the various symbols and commands used in the macros (I have no problem with these) but it is not clear where this should be done. There is reference here and there in the instructions to the 'Win.ini' file but this is not very useful information. Do I need to go into and edit the Win.ini file?? Not sure. Better would be a set of simple step-by-step instructions on where to go to set up macros and how to construct and save them so that they work across the suite of programs. It may sound like simple stuff to you but you are a person used to writing software - some of us are radio amateurs from a more 'ordinary' background who would love to use the programs but get frustrated when some knowledge that we don't have is obviously assumed!

                  The macros which I would use are all the obvious ones already covered in your list - I just need to know how to edit them to fit my own callsign, station, QTH, etc but most importantly where to do this so that they work across all the DXSoft suite of programs. Step by step instruction would be great!!

                  Many thanks for any help you can provide here.

                  Best regards,

                  Chris HB9HFB
                  On Jun 1, 2013, at 7:05 PM, Alexander Anipkin wrote:

                  > Hello
                  >
                  > Please tell what you want kind of macros you need and I will try to
                  > explain how do this.
                  >

                  > 2013/6/1 Christopher Morrison <chrismorrison@...>
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Dear Frederick,
                  >>
                  >> I am glad that you raised this here - I asked a similar question a couple
                  >> of months ago. Despite some direct correspondence with Alex, I never really
                  >> got a practical answer on how to write macros. Specifically I am still not
                  >> sure whether they are written as edits to existing files in the win.ini
                  >> files or whether they have to be edited actually in the macro window, which
                  >> is very tedious to do and doesn't always work. It especially doesn't seem
                  >> to work between different programs in the suite. A clear and unambiguous
                  >> step-by-step instruction on where and how to edit macros would be a great
                  >> addition to the manual for these, otherwise excellent, programs!!
                  >>
                  >> What does anyone else think?
                  >> Best wishes,
                  >>
                  >> Chris Morrison, HB9HFB
                  >>

                  > --
                  > --
                  > Best regards
                  >
                  > Alexander Anipkin

                • Christopher Morrison
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
                    Hi Guys,

                    Forgot to mention that I often have the same problem as Frederick, namely sometimes the RX turns back on, sometimes not, no pattern to this. Sometimes only half the macro is sent.
                    Dan, I would be very pleased to see your macros which work - you offered to send them by email. I'm writing to you directly now. Tnx!!,

                    Chris HB9 HFB
                    On Jun 1, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Dan Schaaf wrote:

                    > Guys
                    >
                    > I have MACRO written and I can email direct to you my MACROS by list and by JPG. Then you can analyze them and compare them with the MACRO list available by Alex in the software. That may be a good starting point in understanding.
                    >
                    > Email me direct at dan-schaaf at att dot net
                    >
                    > Best Regards
                    > Dan Schaaf
                    > =================================
                    > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
                    > 60 Meters www.60metersonline.net
                    > =================================
                    > NOBSKA www.nobska.net
                    > Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
                    > Tel: 941-766-0706

                  • Frederick R. Vobbe
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
                      Alex must have written direct, as I didn't see his message here in the list.
                      Hopefully more useful info is passed around. And as a user of TrueTTY, and
                      the CWType/CWGet, I would be most interested in the reply! As you mention,
                      sometimes the writers, as well as aged/advanced users forget there is a
                      learning curve that some of us need help with.

                      Fred

                      Thanks for coming back. I only commented because I saw immediately that
                      Frederick had exactly the same problem as I did.
                      OK - here's the issue:

                      1.I recently purchased a suite of different programs from DXSoft - AALog3,
                      CWType and TrueTTY

                      2. I would like to be able to use just one set of macros for all of them
                      given that these programs 'talk' to each other.

                      3. The instructions for the individual programs have listed in some detail
                      the various symbols and commands used in the macros (I have no problem with
                      these) but it is not clear where this should be done. There is reference
                      here and there in the instructions to the 'Win.ini' file but this is not
                      very useful information. Do I need to go into and edit the Win.ini file??
                      Not sure. Better would be a set of simple step-by-step instructions on where
                      to go to set up macros and how to construct and save them so that they work
                      across the suite of programs. It may sound like simple stuff to you but you
                      are a person used to writing software - some of us are radio amateurs from a
                      more 'ordinary' background who would love to use the programs but get
                      frustrated when some knowledge that we don't have is obviously assumed!

                      The macros which I would use are all the obvious ones already covered in
                      your list - I just need to know how to edit them to fit my own callsign,
                      station, QTH, etc but most importantly where to do this so that they work
                      across all the DXSoft suite of programs. Step by step instruction would be
                      great!!

                      Many thanks for any help you can provide here.

                      Best regards,

                      Chris HB9HFB
                      On Jun 1, 2013, at 7:05 PM, Alexander Anipkin wrote:

                      > Hello
                      >
                      > Please tell what you want kind of macros you need and I will try to
                      > explain how do this.
                      >

                      > 2013/6/1 Christopher Morrison <chrismorrison@...
                      <mailto:chrismorrison%40bluewin.ch> >

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
                        Hello Frederick,

                        Sunday, June 2, 2013, 12:48:48 AM, you wrote:

                        FRV> One question I have is the ~[rx] command, which only seems to work about
                        FRV> half the time.

                        You just need to understand difference between ~[...] and `[...] macros.

                        ~[...] macros expanded _before_ _placing_ them into TX buffer.
                        `[...] macros expanded just before "sending".

                        So in most cases your need to use `[rx] macro, not ~[rx].

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 1, 2013
                          Hello Frederick,

                          Saturday, June 1, 2013, 11:29:26 PM, you wrote:

                          FRV> As a new user of this mode and software, I'm very frustrated by the lack of
                          FRV> information.

                          I'd suggest read help-file completely at first...

                          All macroses are described there.

                          There is some additional info:

                          === TrueTTY/CwType + AALog/AATest macros mini-FAQ start ===

                          ~[iCall] correspondent callsign
                          ~[iRprtSent] sent RST
                          ~[isRprtSent] sent RST with CW substitutions (9/N , 0/T ...)
                          ~[iRprtRcvd] received RST
                          ~[isRprtRcvd] received RST with CW substitutions
                          ~[iName]
                          ~[iQTH]
                          ~[iNumberSent] sent control number
                          ~[isNumberSent] sent control number with CW substitutions
                          ~[iNumberRcvd] received control number
                          ~[isNumberRcvd] received control number with CW substitutions
                          ~[iOldCall] previous QSO correspondent callsign
                          ~[iOldRprtSent] previous QSO sent RST
                          ~[isOldRprtSent] previous QSO sent RST with CW substitutions
                          ~[iOldNumberSent] previous QSO sent control number
                          ~[isOldNumberSent] previous QSO sent control number with CW substitutions
                          ~[iVarNumberSent] variable part of sending control number
                          ~[isVarNumberSent] variable part of sending control number with CW substitutions
                          ~[imCall] correspondent callsign, if it was edited after control number macros transmitting,
                          or empty text in another case. It works in AATest in CQ mode. Control number macros
                          is defined in "Config / Autosend setup /CQ mode /Answer macros" AATest settings.

                          `[iC1] The first correspondent callsignd symbol
                          `[iC2] 2-nd
                          `[iC3] 3-rd
                          `[iC4] 4-th
                          `[iC5] 5-th
                          `[iC6] 6-th and other symbols of callsign

                          In CW mode (AATest + CwType)
                          good method is represent correspondent callsign as
                          `[iC1]`[iC2]`[iC3]`[iC4]`[iC5]`[iC6]
                          In this case you can start transmission before full callsign is entered,
                          then continue to type rest of callsign.

                          In contests you need switch on MOX mode in TrueTTY/CwType,
                          at least "TX at keyboard press", to avoid problem with entering
                          two macros ending by `[rx].

                          New macros to save sound to a wave file (and replay) by TrueTTY or CwType+CwGet:

                          ~[rpNN] - replay last NN seconds;
                          ~[svNN] - save last NN seconds to wave-file;
                          ~[svpNN] - save last NN seconds to wave-file and replay.

                          With AALog use ~[j...] macros in place of ~[i...] (which are used with AATest).

                        • Dan Schaaf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                            CWGet just works, there is nothing that requires MACROS.
                            CWType and TrueTTY use MACROS. I have sent my CWType.ini file to 3 people who have inquired about this. They can copy my ini file into their PC after saving their original ini file on their desktop. Then they can simple edit my ini file while CWType is running to change from my call sign to theirs and change any other pertinent info. Just use mine as a template if you will.

                            If nothing else, it will assist in the learning process.

                            Best Regards
                            Dan Schaaf
                            =================================

                          • Frederick R. Vobbe
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                              > You just need to understand difference between ~[...] and `[...] macros.
                              >
                              > ~[...] macros expanded _before_ _placing_ them into TX buffer.
                              > `[...] macros expanded just before "sending".
                              >
                              > So in most cases your need to use `[rx] macro, not ~[rx].

                              Yes, I "need" to understand it, and I look to you for an answer. Explain
                              what you mean by "expanded", Sergei. It's not clear to me the intent of
                              the command nor your logic in the command construction.

                              > I'd suggest read help-file completely at first...
                              > All macroses are described there.
                              > There is some additional info:

                              I have. But it's not clear to me the differences in the construction of the
                              macro. A list of mini-FAQ commands does not help, especially when you imply
                              that there is an order to the commands which the user must maintain. The
                              FAQ does not explain this well.

                              Best regards and DX
                              Fred
                            • Frederick R. Vobbe
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                                Hopefully Sergei can explain hierarchy of command structure better.

                                I suspect this is the same problem I had with a repeater controller where a
                                function would not work unless the commands, (which were just listed in an
                                FAQ), were placed in a certain order. The coder for the repeater controller
                                knew that a certain command had to precede another, but it was not
                                documented anywhere in the document. Once this was clearly known to all of
                                us that had the controller, the issue was moot. Minor error on the part of
                                doc writing, but when discovered it was clearly re-documented and nobody had
                                a problem since.

                                Fred

                                From: Christopher Morrison

                                > Hi Guys,
                                >
                                > Forgot to mention that I often have the same problem as Frederick, namely
                                sometimes the RX turns back on, sometimes not, no pattern to this. Sometimes
                                only half the macro is sent.
                                >Dan, I would be very pleased to see your macros which work - you offered to
                                send them by email. I'm writing to you directly now. Tnx!!,

                                >Chris HB9 HFB

                              • Frederick R. Vobbe
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                                  Understood, and that was my error by bringing CWGet into the conversation.

                                  I have used yours as a template, but your operation and mine seem to be different. It appears you’re using some macros (#4) in one string of transmission where you are adding a second macro into the transmission, or typing live. And most of your macros appear to me to be one quick transmission, such as macro #2. That appears you’re sending QRP and nothing else. I would assume that this would be part of a string of transmission such as “FB Fred I’m operating (macro #2)” at which point your transmitter turns off. I would expect a K or KN to be before an end of transmission.

                                  Again, it works for you, and you know what your marcros do by your form of operation. But to someone new it’s confusing when to use certain commands, and what the intent is. This is where the misunderstand is stemming from.

                                  FWIW, here is what I did last night….

                                  Macro1="~[tx] CQ CQ CQ DE ~[m4] ~[m4] ~[m4] CQ CQ CQ DE ~[m4] ~[m4] ~[m4] pse k ~[rx]"

                                  I’m expecting the transmitter to turn on, send this string of text, then go to receive.

                                  Macro2="~[tx] QRZ QRZ de ~[m4] ~[m4] '(' ~[rx]"

                                  Same as macro 1. Turn transmitter, send text, and turn off.

                                  Macro3="~[tx] ~[ec] de ~[m4] FB ~[en] ~[eo] ur ~[er] ~[er] into western Ohio. How copy? '(' "

                                  Same as macro 1, (leaving off call sign exchange).

                                  Macro4="~[tx]W8HDU"

                                  Macro5="~[tx] ~[ec] de ~[m4] "

                                  Turn on transmitter, send call sign exchange, but don’t go to receive as I’ll type or send other macros to follow.

                                  Macro6="~[tx] Rig FT857, Antenna TTFD, Power 10 watts. "

                                  Turn on transmitter (if not on), send string, and don’t go to receive

                                  Macro7="~[tx] Name Fred Fred. QTH Lima Ohio Lima Ohio. EN70 EN70. Allen County Allen County. "

                                  Turn on transmitter (if not on), send string, and don’t go to receive

                                  Macro8="~[tx] Gud in Callbook or QRZ website. QSL direct or eQSL. "

                                  Turn on transmitter (if not on), send string, and don’t go to receive

                                  Macro9="~[tx] NAME Fred Fred. QTH Lima Ohio '&' Lima Ohio. ~[rx]"

                                  Turn on transmitter (if not on), send string, and go to receive after sending. I use this for one net.

                                  Macro10="~[tx] ~[ec] de ~[m4] '(' ~[rx]"

                                  Turn on transmitter (if not on), send string, turn over to the other ham, go to receive.

                                  Macro11="~[tx] ~[ec] de ~[m4] tnx for QSO. 73 and gud DX. ~[m4] '$' ~[rx]"

                                  Turn on transmitter (if not on), send string, sign with the other ham, go to receive.

                                  Macro12="~[cl]"

                                  Clear the screen.

                                  Fred

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                                    Hello Frederick,

                                    Sunday, June 2, 2013, 8:51:35 PM, you wrote:

                                    >> You just need to understand difference between ~[...] and `[...] macros.
                                    >>
                                    >> ~[...] macros expanded _before_ _placing_ them into TX buffer.
                                    >> `[...] macros expanded just before "sending".
                                    >>
                                    >> So in most cases your need to use `[rx] macro, not ~[rx].

                                    FRV> Yes, I "need" to understand it, and I look to you for an answer. Explain
                                    FRV> what you mean by "expanded", Sergei.

                                    I mean "macro is replaced by resulting text or given command is executed".

                                    For examle, if F1 macro string is "~[tx] CQ de XX0XX pse k ~[rx]",

                                    it works "wrong" - after F1 pressing TX is switcning ON, then it immediately is switched OFF and text
                                    " CQ de XX0XX pse k " is placed into input window.

                                    If F1 macro string is "~[tx] CQ de XX0XX pse k `[rx]" , that
                                    after F1 pressing TX is switcning ON and text
                                    " CQ de XX0XX pse k `[rx]" is placed into input window.

                                    So `[rx] macro will be executed (and TX will be off) when all text before it
                                    will be transmitted.

                                  • Dan Schaaf
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                                      Fred and all,

                                      In the case of the QRP macro, I do not use softkeys like F2 F3 etc. That is because I cannot type well, so I use mouse on the buttons that result from macro command. Example, Sometimes I want to send ONLY the word QRP, so I have a button set up to send only QRP.

                                      I click the buttons according to what I need to send. The QRP button macro is : ~[tx] QRP `[rx]

                                      Maybe what I am doing is not macros but just text strings to accomplish what I want to do. But the text string could be considered to be a macro of a sort since it is all under a button façade.

                                      Best Regards
                                      Dan Schaaf
                                      =================================

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                                        OK. This make more sense.

                                        The ~[rx] at the end will execute an off command as soon as the ~[tx]
                                        command is completed.

                                        But if `[rx] the command to go to receive is not issued until the complete
                                        string is sent.

                                        In the following line;

                                        "~[tx] ~[ec] de ~[m4] tnx for QSO. 73 and gud DX. ~[m4] SK SK ~[lf]
                                        `[rx]"

                                        Should the line feed be changed to a `[lf] so it does not execute until the
                                        line has sent? I'm unsure if you planned for the line feed to be sent prior
                                        to transmission, or after transmission.

                                        Fred

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 2, 2013
                                          Hello Frederick,

                                          Sunday, June 2, 2013, 11:47:32 PM, you wrote:

                                          FRV> OK. This make more sense.

                                          FRV> The ~[rx] at the end will execute an off command as soon as the ~[tx]
                                          FRV> command is completed.

                                          FRV> But if `[rx] the command to go to receive is not issued until the complete
                                          FRV> string is sent.

                                          FRV> In the following line;

                                          FRV> "~[tx] ~[ec] de ~[m4] tnx for QSO. 73 and gud DX. ~[m4] SK SK ~[lf]
                                          FRV> `[rx]"

                                          FRV> Should the line feed be changed to a `[lf] so it does not execute until the
                                          FRV> line has sent?

                                          No, it is not needed.

                                          FRV> I'm unsure if you planned for the line feed to be sent prior
                                          FRV> to transmission, or after transmission.

                                          ~[lf] will just be replaced by linefeed symbols (CR LF) in the same place of text.
                                          Then all expanded text will be placed into input window.