Lost Log File

  • ai4gk
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2011
      I opened my log file tonight and can't find my log file. I have not deleted the file. I've searched for my call sign on the hard drive, to no avail. Any idea what the filename would be? It would have been ai4gk log.
    • Dan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2011
        If you are using AALog 3.0, then the log file name is AALOG.GDB
        This file name is located in the AALog3 Folder in Program Files.
        So, C:/Program Files/AALog3/AALOG.GDB

        Dan Schaaf

        ==================================
        K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
        Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
        NOBSKA www.nobska.net
        ==================================

        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2011
          Thanks. I found it in the \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
          (x86)\AALog3 path. I'm still not sure what happened. Basically, a new
          AALOG.GDB was written over the old one in the aalog3 subdirectory.

          Dan Fisher, AI4GK

          <http://www.arrl.org> http://www.arrl.org

          <http://www.pcars.org> http://www.pcars.org

          <http://ai4gk.r2i.net/> http://ai4gk.r2i.net

          <http://www.qrz.com/db/ai4gk> http://www.qrz.com/db/ai4gk

          Public Information Officer:

          Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society;

          American Radio Relay League, Southern Florida Section

          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2011
            Hello Dan,

            DFA> Thanks. I found it in the \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
            DFA> (x86)\AALog3 path. I'm still not sure what happened. Basically, a new
            DFA> AALOG.GDB was written over the old one in the aalog3 subdirectory.

            It is a problem of Vista/Windows 7 "file virtualization".

            Way to avoid is to install AALog NOT into subfolder or "Program Files".

            Install it to C:\AAlog , for example...

            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2011
              Dear Sergei

              Thank you.
              Please tell me, how can I make AALog 3 send the proper log data to
              Bandmaster for 60 meters. In a previous version of AALog 3 it used to work
              OK.I am finding that the log data does not change the color of a callsign
              from worked , confirmed country or even the call sign, so the call sign in
              Bandmaster always shows as RED color.

              Dan Schaaf

              ==================================
              K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
              Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
              NOBSKA www.nobska.net
              ==================================

              > Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 7:53:52 PM, you wrote:
              >
              > DFA> Thanks. I found it in the \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
              > DFA> (x86)\AALog3 path. I'm still not sure what happened. Basically, a new
              > DFA> AALOG.GDB was written over the old one in the aalog3 subdirectory.
              >
              > It is a problem of Vista/Windows 7 "file virtualization".
              >
              > Way to avoid is to install AALog NOT into subfolder or "Program Files".
              >
              > Install it to C:\AAlog , for example...
              >

              > DFA> If you are using AALog 3.0, then the log file name is AALOG.GDB
              > DFA> This file name is located in the AALog3 Folder in Program Files.
              > DFA> So, C:/Program Files/AALog3/AALOG.GDB
              >
              > DFA> Dan Schaaf
              >
              > DFA> ==================================
              > DFA> K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
              > DFA> Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
              > DFA> NOBSKA www.nobska.net
              > DFA> ==================================

            • Dan Fisher AI4GK

                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                  Good question. Never heard of it before.
                  It will probably get worse with Windows 8.

                  Dan Schaaf

                  ==================================

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                    Hello Dan,

                    DFA> Okay. We might be getting a bit off topic here, but what is "file
                    DFA> virtualization?"

                    It that you see.
                    Windows forward file operation in "Program files" to special folder,
                    different for different users. More over, it do it not always.
                    So sometimes you can get original file, sometimes - virtualized one.

                    DFA>> Thanks. I found it in the \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
                    DFA>> (x86)\AALog3 path. I'm still not sure what happened. Basically, a
                    DFA>> new AALOG.GDB was written over the old one in the aalog3 subdirectory.

                    DFA> It is a problem of Vista/Windows 7 "file virtualization".

                    DFA> Way to avoid is to install AALog NOT into subfolder or "Program Files".

                    DFA> Install it to C:\AAlog , for example...

                  • Dan Fisher AI4GK

                      DFA> Okay. We might be getting a bit off topic here, but what is "file
                      DFA> virtualization?"

                      It that you see.
                      Windows forward file operation in "Program files" to special folder,
                      different for different users. More over, it do it not always.
                      So sometimes you can get original file, sometimes - virtualized one.

                      DFA>> Thanks. I found it in the \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
                      DFA>> Files
                      DFA>> (x86)\AALog3 path. I'm still not sure what happened. Basically, a
                      DFA>> new AALOG.GDB was written over the old one in the aalog3 subdirectory.

                      DFA> It is a problem of Vista/Windows 7 "file virtualization".

                      DFA> Way to avoid is to install AALog NOT into subfolder or "Program Files".

                      DFA> Install it to C:\AAlog , for example...

                    • Gary AL9A
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                        Microsoft introduced the concept of "file virtualization" with the introduction of Vista and have continued the concept in Win7. Basically MS decided that software programs installed in Program Files should not be allowed to create new files or update existing ones in the software's program folder. I believe it was done as a means to deter hackers, worms and viruses from doing mischief in the program's file folder.

                        This led to the creation of the "Virtual Store", a folder path created by Vista and Win7 that stores new or updated files in a location outside the normal program folder. Of course, the OS doesn't tell you it's doing this at the time it does it, which leads to heartburn when the user is surprised to discover the file that was suppose to be updated did not get updated. It actually did get updated, it's just that the file now exists in a different location and MS doesn't make it easy for you to find it. In my case, on a Vista machine, the Virtual Store path is at C:\Users\AL9A\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files. There is also a path C:\Users\AL9A\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows where some Windows related updates are now stored.

                        The difficult thing about finding the Virtual Store path is that the AppData folder in the middle of the path name is a hidden folder. If you don't have your Control Panel set to display hidden files/folders you won't find it in Explorer. You can type the full path name, but only if you know what it is! If you don't want to fool with the Virtual Store you have two choices; don't install your programs in the Program Files location or turn off User Account Control (UAC).

                        73,
                        Gary AL9A

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 5, 2011
                          Gary,

                          Thanks for the update. Fortunately, I always set Windoze to show hidden
                          folders, so it's not a problem for me to fiddle around in that area. I
                          wouldn't mind if Windoze would tell us that it moved the data file and even
                          if it were smart enough to realize, "Oh, he's looking for the filename.xyz
                          file which I moved to the Virtual Store path." I guess that the only other
                          alternative is to have software writers put their data files into a
                          \documents\filename subdirectory. I really don't care where the data file
                          resides; I just want the program to be able to find it.

                          I guess in the end, M'soft is following in the "protect us from ourselves"
                          parade. <Sigh>