SeaTTY 1.75 beta is published

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hello All,

      I just have uploaded SeaTTY 1.75 beta to the main site and mirror:

      http://www.dxsoft.com/seattyb.zip
      http://www.hamport.com/seattyb.zip

      The "Setup" menu was rewritten.

      Station ID filter was made. This filter allow to select messages which
      should be automatically saved in NAVTEX and RTTY modes. Station ID is
      four letters after "ZCZC " sequence.

      Mask for ID filter can include wildcards,
      "?" means "any symbol",
      "#" means "any digit".

      That is "I???" mask means "any ID, starting from I",
      "AB##" mask means "any ID starting from AB and ending by two digits".

      Your feedbacks are very welcome!

    • kc5yre@amsat.org
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
        In a message dated 10/3/2007 11 16 59 h Eastern Daylight Time,
        amx2@... writes:

        http://www.hamport.com/seattyb.zipi

        I have downloaded the HAMPORT site. What does beta mean to me? Does it
        become apart of the original program that I have?

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hello kc5yre,

          kao> I have downloaded the HAMPORT site. What does beta mean to me? Does it
          kao> become apart of the original program that I have?

          You can install new version over old one or in another directory...

        • Dan Schaaf
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
            Dear Sergei,

            Does this new Hamport have any new features that I need? I do not use Sea TTY.

            Best Regards
            Dan Schaaf

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hello Dan,

              DS> Does this new Hamport have any new features that I need?

              Which "new Hamport" do you mean? I wrote about new SeaTTY version.

              DS> I do not use Sea TTY.

              If you don't use it, this announce is useless for you...

            • Mats Höwing
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 3, 2007
                Hello Sergei,

                This update is most welcome! I will install tomorrow and test during next
                week.

                Soo, next task for you is to update SeaTTY to store files with file names
                accordingly! Right!?

                (File name content: ID + message type + date and time)

                Best regards

                /Mats

                _____

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Sergei,

                  I have now installed and made a test run onboard my “ship”.

                  It works fine!

                  But maybe for my NAVTEX use the filtering is made with some overkill.

                  I need just to filter on the first letter (station ID) and maybe the second
                  letter (type of message). The following 2 digit number is just order of that
                  kind of message and there is no need to filter that part at all . I’m
                  referring to NAVTEX use now, regarding RTTY I have no idea, maybe there is
                  use for it there…

                  However, with the filtering that now I available it is a great improvement
                  for SeaTTY. During one day (24h) I usually receive about 50 to100 messages
                  and there is not always time to go through all to find the one that I need.
                  This is really a good improvement that I have been missing!

                  Testing will continue!

                  Regarding the naming of the message files, I wish that you create filenames
                  as following example or similar:

                  Message example:

                  ZCZC LA26

                  221931 UTC SEP 07

                  NORWEGIAN NAV. WARNING 388/2007

                  CHART 16

                  AREA STAVANGER

                  PANNEVIGODDEN LIGHT 58-57.7N 005-46.2E IS UNLIT.

                  NNNN

                  Todays SeaTTY filename: 070923-061955

                  My opinion how the message should be stored with filename: LA26 221931SEP07

                  Then I can quickly see that this is a navigational warning sent out from
                  Norway, time and date etc..

                  Note that the data for the message origin is not the same as the when the
                  message was transmitted/received.

                  Every message can and are in fact sent out several times, with this naming
                  strategy he message should be stored just once.

                  What do you say about this?

                  Another idea is just to ad the 4 letter/numbers to you current file name
                  like: 080923-061955 LA26

                  That should give a good improvement as well. And maybe simpler for you…..

                  Another question.

                  I have a brandnew NAVTEX manual from IMO, International Maritime
                  Organisation. Do you have it? Of you need it just tell me and I will send it
                  over

                  Best regards

                  /Mats Höwing, Sweden

                  _____

                  Från: dxsoft@yahoogroups. <mailto:dxsoft%40yahoogroups.com> com
                  I just have uploaded SeaTTY 1.75 beta to the main site and mirror:

                  http://www.dxsoft <http://www.dxsoft <http://www.dxsoft.com/seattyb.zip>
                  <http://www.hamport.com/seattyb.zip> com/seattyb.zip> com/seattyb.zip

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Hello Mats,

                    Friday, October 5, 2007, 3:40:49 AM, you wrote:

                    MH> Every message can and are in fact sent out several times, with this naming
                    MH> strategy he message should be stored just once.

                    MH> What do you say about this?

                    In really NAVTEX and especially RTTY are NOT error-free modes.
                    So the same messages are not always identical at receiver end...

                    MH> Another idea is just to ad the 4 letter/numbers to you current file name
                    MH> like: 080923-061955 LA26

                    MH> That should give a good improvement as well. And maybe simpler for you?..

                    At least it will be compatible with old files ...

                    MH> Another question.

                    MH> I have a brandnew NAVTEX manual from IMO, International Maritime
                    MH> Organisation. Do you have it?

                    No, I haven't .

                    MH> Of you need it just tell me and I will send it
                    MH> over

                    Sounds interesting...

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Hello Mats,

                      Friday, October 5, 2007, 3:40:49 AM, you wrote:

                      MH> I have now installed and made a test run onboard my ?ship?.

                      MH> It works fine!

                      MH> But maybe for my NAVTEX use the filtering is made with some overkill.

                      MH> I need just to filter on the first letter (station ID) and maybe the second
                      MH> letter (type of message). The following 2 digit number is just order of that
                      MH> kind of message and there is no need to filter that part at all .

                      It is not a problem - in your case last filter symbols will be "??".

                      MH> I?m
                      MH> referring to NAVTEX use now, regarding RTTY I have no idea, maybe there is
                      MH> use for it there?

                      MH> However, with the filtering that now I available it is a great improvement
                      MH> for SeaTTY. During one day (24h) I usually receive about 50 to100 messages
                      MH> and there is not always time to go through all to find the one that I need.
                      MH> This is really a good improvement that I have been missing!

                      May be filter for "Message ID" will be useful too ?

                      I mean first six symbol of second string of message.

                    • Henrik Thiil Nielsen
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 5, 2007
                        >>> "My opinion how the message should be stored with filename: LA26
                        221931SEP07.Another idea is just to ad the 4 letter/numbers to you current
                        file name like: 080923-061955 LA26.Every message can and are in fact sent
                        out several times, with this naming strategy he message should be stored
                        just once."

                        Mats, of course the changes you suggest could be implemented as an option
                        alongside the present file naming scheme, but it certainly wouldn't be a
                        good idea just to change the file naming scheme to the one you suggest. This
                        is why:

                        I could be wrong, but I think ships of the size that are required to have
                        NAVTEX receivers onboard use dedicated NAVTEX receiver/printers, so chances
                        are the vast majority of SeaTTY users are DX'ers. SeaTTY is easily the best
                        software decoder for NAVTEX DX'ing, and NAVTEX DX'ers most certainly do not
                        want any messages to be "stored just once". That would make SeaTTY pretty
                        well useless to us. And besides we may well receive messages from three,
                        four or more different stations with the same identifying letter (time
                        slot). Thus "L" in the above example could stand for Rogaland, Limnos, Hong
                        Kong etc. To a DX'er the timestamp of the original message matters little,
                        what is important is the actual TX/RX time.

                        In fact if the current file naming scheme were to be changed in any way I
                        would suggest that the time of reception of the last line in the message was
                        used in the file name instead of the time of the beginning of the following
                        message. This is because where a proper "NNNN" (or at least three intact Ns)
                        isn't received, the message does not seem to get saved as a file until the
                        next "ZCZC" (or at least three of the characters) is received. If you
                        receive a message with no "NNNN" at, say, 1507 UTC, and then receive the
                        this isn't ideal, but then DX'ers use the raw log and select the option to
                        have every line in it time stamped, so the change I am suggesting is in the
                        "nice to have" rather than the "must have" category.

                        I have another suggestion: I have noted that one of Sergei's "competitors"
                        has created a web site to which users of his NAVTEX decoding software can
                        upload the messages they decode. It would be very nice to have such a web
                        site for SeaTTY, but I realize this would be quite a project.

                        Sergei, thank you for providing such excellent software at a very reasonable
                        price!

                        73

                        Henrik Nielsen

                      • Mats Höwing
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 7, 2007
                          Sergei,

                          I have read you r comment to my proposal and also the ones from Henrik
                          Thiel.

                          1) I understand the my first proposal for file naming was not popular.
                          I am not a radio amateur or similar. I am a sailor and using th e SeaTTY as
                          a pure NAVTEX receiver and also for weather fax even if I hav not been
                          luckey there yet. So Ihop tha I am excused to not fully understand the
                          requirenmtn from the larger group of your customers. Soo, I still would like
                          to see the massage ID in the file name, like: 080923-061955 LA26. Could this
                          work for the DX’ing guys as well?

                          2) You wrote: May be filter for "Message ID" will be useful too ?

                          I mean first six symbol of second string of message. I dont understand
                          really:

                          3)

                          4)

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 7, 2007
                            Sergei,

                            I have read you r comment to my proposal and also the ones from Henrik
                            Thiel.

                            I understand the my first proposal for file naming was not popular. I am not
                            a radio amateur or similar. I am a sailor and using the SeaTTY as a pure
                            NAVTEX receiver togetherr with the navigation compute which I have built. I
                            also also tryed weather fax even if I hav not been luckey there yet. I am
                            also an electronic engineer with a large interest for electronics genrally.
                            So I hope that I am excused to not fully understand the requirement from the
                            larger group of your customers.

                            Soo, I still would like to see the massage ID in the file name, like:
                            080923-061955 LA26. Could this work for the DX’ing guys as well?

                            You wrote something about filtering the message ID. I did’nt get that
                            really.. mess example:

                            ZCZC JA77

                            120640 UTC JUL

                            KALININGRAD NAV WARN 117

                            SE BALTIC.

                            SHIPS EXERCISES 130300-151800 JUL

                            IN AREA BR-65 CENTERED IN 55-10N 019-25E

                            AREA TEMP DANGEROUS TO SHIPPING.

                            CANCEL THIS MESSAGE 151900 JUL.

                            NNNN

                            The “six characters”, do you mean the “120640” ? If soo, my answer is no.
                            see below:

                            - The message ID is the “JA77”according to the NAVTEX manual. And that´s
                            what I wouldlike to see in the filename. JA77 means: J = transmitter
                            Gislövshamamr in Sweden, A=Navigational warning. 77 = number 77 in order
                            this year..

                            - “120640 UTC JUL” means that the origin for this message is date: July 12
                            and time: 0640 UTC

                            Forget about what I wrote regarding storing just once. That’s how real
                            navtex receivers do (not storing but printing on paper). I can defenatelly
                            live with having the same message stored every time it is sent. One reason
                            to do so is that the quality of reception is varying, as you know.

                            I have also sent the NAVTEX manual to the mail address seen on the “help”
                            menu in SeaTTY.

                            And by the way: Thankyou for youR excellent product to that reasonable sum
                            of money!

                            /Mats

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 7, 2007
                              Hello Mats,

                              Monday, October 8, 2007, 2:56:33 AM, you wrote:

                              MH> You wrote something about filtering the message ID. I did?nt get that
                              MH> really.. mess example:

                              MH> ZCZC JA77

                              MH> 120640 UTC JUL

                              [....]

                              MH> The ?six characters?, do you mean the ?120640? ? If soo, my answer is no.
                              MH> see below:

                              MH> - The message ID is the ?JA77?according to the NAVTEX manual. And that?s
                              MH> what I wouldlike to see in the filename. JA77 means: J = transmitter
                              MH> Gislovshamamr in Sweden, A=Navigational warning. 77 = number 77 in order
                              MH> this year..

                              MH> - ?120640 UTC JUL? means that the origin for this message is date: July 12
                              MH> and time: 0640 UTC

                              But in RTTY messages which I received from German weather stations (DDK# and DDH#),
                              there are NOT a time at this place:

                              ===
                              ZCZC 165
                              FQEN51 EDZW 061700

                              SEEWETTERBERICHT DEUTSCHE NORD- UND OSTSEEKUESTE
                              HERAUSGEGEBEN VOM SEEWETTERDIENST HAMBURG
                              06.10.2001, 18 UTC:
                              ===

                              ZCZC 245
                              FQEW57 EDZW 070600

                              SEEWETTERZFRICHT FUER WESTEUROPAVPE GEWWMDDEHERAUSGEGEBEN VOM SEEWETTERDIENST HAMBU
                              ===

                              You see, "Station ID" is just a number there, but type of message is probably
                              encoded at second string...

                              MH> I have also sent the NAVTEX manual to the mail address seen on the ?help?
                              MH> menu in SeaTTY.

                              I got it, thanks a lot!

                              MH> And by the way: Thankyou for youR excellent product to that reasonable sum
                              MH> of money!

                              Thanks again!

                              The main reason why I can not to implement _all_ suggestions from _all_ user is
                              to keep the program simple for using.

                              It is not a problem to do a lot of "bell and whistles", which only author of software can use.

                              The problem is to implement all _useful_ features but to keep a program simple...

                            • Mats Höwing
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                                Hello Sergei,

                                Like you say. I have during this conversation noticed that the more
                                features you put in the more difficult it will be to use. For example the
                                filtering you have included now needs also to be supported well in the help
                                menu… (don’t remove it thought!!!!)

                                I also understand that the different need for NAVTEX, RTTY, etc complicates
                                as well

                                Last question:

                                File naming like: “080923-061955 LA26” for NAVTEX messages

                                Is that out of the question?

                                Best regards

                                Mats

                                _____

                                Monday, October 8, 2007, 2:56:33 AM, you wrote:

                                MH> You wrote something about filtering the message ID. I did?nt get that
                                MH> really.. mess example:

                                MH> ZCZC JA77

                                MH> 120640 UTC JUL

                                [....]

                                MH> The ?six characters?, do you mean the ?120640? ? If soo, my answer is
                                no.
                                MH> see below:

                                MH> - The message ID is the ?JA77?according to the NAVTEX manual. And that?s
                                MH> what I wouldlike to see in the filename. JA77 means: J = transmitter
                                MH> Gislovshamamr in Sweden, A=Navigational warning. 77 = number 77 in order
                                MH> this year..

                                MH> - ?120640 UTC JUL? means that the origin for this message is date: July
                                12
                                MH> and time: 0640 UTC

                                But in RTTY messages which I received from German weather stations (DDK# and
                                DDH#),
                                there are NOT a time at this place:

                                ===
                                ZCZC 165
                                FQEN51 EDZW 061700

                                SEEWETTERBERICHT DEUTSCHE NORD- UND OSTSEEKUESTE
                                HERAUSGEGEBEN VOM SEEWETTERDIENST HAMBURG
                                06.10.2001, 18 UTC:
                                ===

                                ZCZC 245
                                FQEW57 EDZW 070600

                                SEEWETTERZFRICHT FUER WESTEUROPAVPE GEWWMDDEHERAUSGEGEBEN VOM
                                SEEWETTERDIENST HAMBU
                                ===

                                You see, "Station ID" is just a number there, but type of message is
                                probably
                                encoded at second string...

                                MH> I have also sent the NAVTEX manual to the mail address seen on the
                                ?help?
                                MH> menu in SeaTTY.

                                I got it, thanks a lot!

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                                  Hello Mats,

                                  MH> Last question:

                                  MH> File naming like: ?080923-061955 LA26? for NAVTEX messages

                                  Will do ...

                                • kc5yre@amsat.org
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                                    MH

                                    How are you picking up NAVTEX? Frequency, machine, antenna?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Jerry KC5YRE

                                  • Mats Höwing
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                                      Super!!

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 9, 2007
                                        Jerry,

                                        Frequency is 518 kHz

                                        I’m using an old reciever unit that i’ve picked from an old Standard Radio
                                        Navtex reciever/printer (from approx 1980, type PNW 20).

                                        I guess an world recievr could be used as well (correct, Sergei?)

                                        My receiver is buildt for the Navtex freq only (518 kc), so I never need to
                                        tune it.

                                        Antenna is an active antenna from NASA-Marine for about 30 USD

                                        I had some EMC issues with radiation from the Computer into the antenna
                                        cable at first. A ferrite at both ends at the cable cured this.

                                        Hope I answered some of your questions.

                                        /Mats

                                        _____

                                        How are you picking up NAVTEX? Frequency, machine, antenna?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Jerry KC5YRE

                                      • legonedijk
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 10, 2007
                                          Hope it helps a little......
                                          http://beaconworld.org.uk/files/navintro.pdf

                                          73
                                          jan

                                        • kc5yre@amsat.org
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 11, 2007
                                            Thank you,

                                            I'll work on it. I thought SeaTTY program was all that was needed. I assume
                                            a NAVTEX DECODER is required?

                                            Jerry

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 11, 2007
                                              Mats,

                                              Thanks, I guess that a NAVTEX RECORDER is required. Yes, I knew 516 kHz,
                                              but never heard anything. I believe there is another frequency in the 4++
                                              kHz range?

                                              Appreciate the help,
                                              Jerry

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 11, 2007
                                                Hello kc5yre,

                                                Friday, October 12, 2007, 3:00:14 AM, you wrote:

                                                kao> I'll work on it. I thought SeaTTY program was all that was needed. I assume
                                                kao> a NAVTEX DECODER is required?

                                                SeaTTY IS NAVTEX decoder :-)

                                                You need HF SSB receiver.

                                              • Chris
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 12, 2007
                                                  Jerry

                                                  You may hear signals on 490 kHz as well as 518 kHz.

                                                  Regards

                                                  Chris

                                                  _____

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 12, 2007
                                                    Thank you
                                                    Jerry KC5YRE

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 12, 2007
                                                      Thank you, I thought so.

                                                      Jerry KC5YRE

                                                    • Mats Höwing
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 12, 2007
                                                        518kHz!!!!! Should work with a good world radio type, I guess.

                                                        Maybe the ”real” Radio experts on this forum could help you here; What
                                                        receiver is needed for Navtex reception?

                                                        How to use a “world radio”`?

                                                        /Mats

                                                        _____

                                                        Thanks, I guess that a NAVTEX RECORDER is required. Yes, I knew 516 kHz,
                                                        but never heard anything. I believe there is another frequency in the 4++
                                                        kHz range?

                                                        Appreciate the help,
                                                        Jerry

                                                      • Christian Carlsson
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 12, 2007
                                                          It works with a good world radio, yes. I use a very old Sony. The problem is
                                                          to avoid interference from other equipment, including your computer power
                                                          supply.

                                                          --Christian

                                                          _____

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 13, 2007
                                                            http://www.gmdss.com.au/navtex.htm

                                                            It works ok with my Sony icf-SW7600G en Degen/Kaito DE1103.
                                                            Both with SSB facility.
                                                            It all depends on your antenna and the distance.
                                                            Those NAVTEX messages are short.

                                                            Reg.: jan

                                                            --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, Mats Höwing <mats.howing@...> wrote:

                                                            > 518kHz!!!!! Should work with a good world radio type, I guess.
                                                            >
                                                            > Maybe the "real" Radio experts on this forum could help you here;
                                                            What
                                                            > receiver is needed for Navtex reception?
                                                            >
                                                            > How to use a "world radio"`?
                                                            >

                                                            > /Mats
                                                            >

                                                            > _____

                                                          • legonedijk