Interface for Icom 737

  • Larry Drake
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2006
      I have read thru some of the postings and havnt ran across the solution
      to my problem. I have the interface cable built with a circuit to key
      the rig. To key the rig I am connected via the mic plug. for the actual
      CW I have tried to hook up to the key port on the back of the rig.. So
      far, This isnt working. Atleast not in cw mode. If I choose LSB it will
      work. I know this isnt the prefered method, so was hoping for some
      suggestions.
      Thanks,
      Larry
      KT9L
    • kc5ptx
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2006
        --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Drake" <tinman1688@...> wrote:

        > I have read thru some of the postings and havnt ran across the
        solution
        > to my problem. I have the interface cable built with a circuit to key
        > the rig. To key the rig I am connected via the mic plug. for the
        actual
        > CW I have tried to hook up to the key port on the back of the rig..
        So
        > far, This isnt working. Atleast not in cw mode. If I choose LSB it
        will
        > work. I know this isnt the prefered method, so was hoping for some
        > suggestions.
        > Thanks,
        > Larry
        > KT9L
        >Hi Larry, If you are trying to run cw on the cq100 the best way I have
        found is to use the side tone from your rig only. I am doing this by
        placing a stereo jack adapter on the external speaker jack and running
        a stereo extension into the audio line in on the computer. No interface
        required this way on question mark select audio input on options select
        properties and there select stereo mix only click ok and everything
        should work. For other setups refer to Chapter 5 on the ARRL radio
        operators manual.
        Good Luck 73
        Issi kc5ptx
      • Larry Drake
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2006
          I should have added that I am using CWget and CWtype software. Issi, I
          am not familar with CQ100, Sorry. I guess with having an older rig it
          may be a bit more difficult to find someone who has tired this setup.
          Hopefully I am wrong. Thanks for the suggestion Issi..
          Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
          Thanks,
          Larry KT9L
        • kc5ptx
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2006
            --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Drake" <tinman1688@...> wrote:

            > I should have added that I am using CWget and CWtype software. Issi,
            > am not familar with CQ100, Sorry. I guess with having an older rig it
            > may be a bit more difficult to find someone who has tired this setup.
            > Hopefully I am wrong. Thanks for the suggestion Issi..
            > Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
            > Thanks,
            > Larry KT9L
            >Hello again, Larry. The CQ100 is a new program. It is ham radio over
            the internet. Talk anywhere in the world with no qsb, qrn, qrm, and no
            antennas or worries about propagation. It is having great success.
            Download at Qsonet.com for free 90 day trial. Put your old rig away and
            be hamming immediately. I like the program very much. Good luck and 73

            Issi kc5ptx
          • Karel Ebenstreit
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
              sorry Issi, but on the CQ100.com site you find anything from dating to wedding dress, but no ham radio over internet! What a scam you are running. Try "Echolink", that is the real and 'free' hamming over the internet program...
              Karel, VA3KO

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
                Sorry Issi, I was led to a wrong web site that showed lots of reference to CQ100 but no real hamming program, I apologize,
                The real CQ100 program looks great and it seems to be worth $32 US per year.
                Karel, VA3KO

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
                  --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, "Karel Ebenstreit" <kebenstr@...>
                  wrote:
                  >To Karel, Apology accepted, I was confused by the mix up but I am
                  sure I gave the web site as qsonet.com not cq100.com anyway don't
                  worry about a simple mistake, nobody is perfect. Have fun with the
                  cq100 and hope to meet you there. 73

                  Issi kc5ptx
                  > Sorry Issi, I was led to a wrong web site that showed lots of
                  reference to CQ100 but no real hamming program, I apologize,
                  > The real CQ100 program looks great and it seems to be worth $32 US
                  per year.
                  > Karel, VA3KO

                  07.12.06 13:31

                • GI8AFS
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Gentlemen
                    "Talk anywhere in the world with no qsb, qrn, qrm,
                    and no antennas or worries about propagation." EH?
                    What does internet communication have to do with ham radio? Anybody can talk over the telephone, Skype, MSN etc. Surely ham radio is communication via the ether by those of us who have earned a licence - not an international network of cables and public com links that anybody can use.
                    malcolm gi8afs

                    >To Karel, Apology accepted, I was confused by the mix up but I am
                    sure I gave the web site as qsonet.com not cq100.com anyway don't
                    worry about a simple mistake, nobody is perfect. Have fun with the
                    cq100 and hope to meet you there. 73

                    Issi kc5ptx
                    > Sorry Issi, I was led to a wrong web site that showed lots of
                    reference to CQ100 but no real hamming program, I apologize,
                    > The real CQ100 program looks great and it seems to be worth $32 US
                    per year.
                    > Karel, VA3KO

                    07.12.06 13:31

                  • Scott Royall
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      With all due respect, you do not earn a license. It is a privilege granted
                      by a government, much like a driving license. Your attitude is unfortunate.

                      Drake" <tinman1688@> wrote:

                      > > I should have added that I am using CWget and CWtype software.
                      Issi,
                      > > am not familar with CQ100, Sorry. I guess with having an older
                      rig it
                      > > may be a bit more difficult to find someone who has tired this
                      setup.
                      > > Hopefully I am wrong. Thanks for the suggestion Issi..
                      > > Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Larry KT9L
                      > >Hello again, Larry. The CQ100 is a new program. It is ham radio
                      over
                      > the internet. Talk anywhere in the world with no qsb, qrn, qrm,
                      and no
                      > antennas or worries about propagation. It is having great
                      success.
                      > Download at Qsonet.com for free 90 day trial. Put your old rig
                      away and
                      > be hamming immediately. I like the program very much. Good luck
                      and 73

                      > Issi kc5ptx

                      07.12.06 13:31

                    • GI8AFS
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Off topic, but, I had to learn,study and pass an exam before I could ask for that priviledge. A license is the reward for that work. That is the difference between those who are authorised to use a radio transmitter on amateur bands and those who are not. As you say, much like a driving license, those that can't pass the test, can't drive a car. The internet is like riding public transport - no priviledges.
                        Nothing unfortunate about that.

                        malcolm GI8AFS

                        Drake" <tinman1688@> wrote:

                        > > I should have added that I am using CWget and CWtype software.
                        Issi,
                        > > am not familar with CQ100, Sorry. I guess with having an older
                        rig it
                        > > may be a bit more difficult to find someone who has tired this
                        setup.
                        > > Hopefully I am wrong. Thanks for the suggestion Issi..
                        > > Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Larry KT9L
                        > >Hello again, Larry. The CQ100 is a new program. It is ham radio
                        over
                        > the internet. Talk anywhere in the world with no qsb, qrn, qrm,
                        and no
                        > antennas or worries about propagation. It is having great
                        success.
                        > Download at Qsonet.com for free 90 day trial. Put your old rig
                        away and
                        > be hamming immediately. I like the program very much. Good luck
                        and 73

                        > Issi kc5ptx

                        07.12.06 13:31

                      • Larry Drake
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Just an update for everyone, I have figured out the interface problem
                          this past weekend and was able to work 37 contacts in the 10mtr contest.
                          I appreciate all the suggestions and help. Myself, I enjoy the radio,
                          noise, wires running all over the shack. The headaches of trying to
                          figure out why something works, or doesn't..Hi Hi.... I got my first
                          license in 1991 with the intent to use it to its fullest, and enjoy all
                          the modes. So far, I have benn doing that a little at time. Someday, I
                          hope to be sending CW in the traditional way, but for now I'll be using
                          the digital version ie: Cwget & CWtype. I have an Extra class license
                          which I earned. IE: I had to study and pass all the required tests.
                          I think perhaps that the main point of my seeking help with the
                          interface problems I was having lost focus. But hey! it works now so,,,,
                          Maybe We will all run across one another somewhere on the bands on one
                          of the many modes tha Ham Radio has to offer.....
                          73 & Hope to see you down the log..
                          Larry
                          KT9L
                        • Julian
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                            --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Royall" <royall@...> wrote:

                            > With all due respect, you do not earn a license. It is a privilege
                            granted
                            > by a government, much like a driving license. Your attitude is
                            unfortunate.

                            It may be a privilege, but it still has to be earned. The privilege is
                            not granted to just anyone. And I don't see what that has to do with
                            the point Malcolm was making, that talking across the Internet is
                            voice over IP, not ham radio. If the powers that be see that hams will
                            use the Internet as an alternative to radio, it will be hard to
                            justify retention of our valuable spectrum allocations.

                            Julian, G4ILO
                            G4ILO's Shack: http://www.g4ilo.com
                          • Karel Ebenstreit
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                              Malcom,
                              we are not talking about 'public transportation' but about 'Echolink' and 'CQ100'. To use these, you need a ham radio licence.
                              Karel

                              Drake" <tinman1688@> wrote:

                              > > I should have added that I am using CWget and CWtype software.
                              Issi,
                              > > am not familar with CQ100, Sorry. I guess with having an older
                              rig it
                              > > may be a bit more difficult to find someone who has tired this
                              setup.
                              > > Hopefully I am wrong. Thanks for the suggestion Issi..
                              > > Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
                              > > Thanks,
                              > > Larry KT9L
                              > >Hello again, Larry. The CQ100 is a new program. It is ham radio
                              over
                              > the internet. Talk anywhere in the world with no qsb, qrn, qrm,
                              and no
                              > antennas or worries about propagation. It is having great
                              success.
                              > Download at Qsonet.com for free 90 day trial. Put your old rig
                              away and
                              > be hamming immediately. I like the program very much. Good luck
                              and 73

                              > Issi kc5ptx

                              07.12.06 13:31

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                Hello Karel,

                                KE> Malcom,
                                KE> we are not talking about 'public transportation' but about 'Echolink'
                                KE> and 'CQ100'. To use these, you need a ham radio licence.

                                1. To discuss this offtopic, you need to go to another group.
                                2. You are NOT need to quote 300 old sting to add 3 new.

                              • josef gratts
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                  This over the internet program takes all the fun out of being a ham radio operator,
                                  on thanks . I have worked to hard for the privilege to be a ham.It will take the fun out of building the knowledge to be a ham. This is a good program for those who can't pass the code, which is hardley a requirement these days. Take the easy way out and go to the internet and listen to the world. Sorry

                                  Josef
                                  Ka5TAD

                                  Josef Gratts

                                • Julian
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 13, 2006
                                    --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, josef gratts <joe_bonnie76018@...> wrote:

                                    > This over the internet program takes all the fun out of being a ham
                                    radio operator,
                                    > on thanks . I have worked to hard for the privilege to be a ham.It
                                    will take the fun out of building the knowledge to be a ham. This is a
                                    good program for those who can't pass the code, which is hardley a
                                    requirement these days. Take the easy way out and go to the internet
                                    and listen to the world. Sorry

                                    Well, you could equally argue that using CWGet to copy code takes the
                                    fun and skill out of Morse operating.

                                    I never heard of this system until I read the posting here yesterday.
                                    My initial feelings about it were much the same as you. But I was
                                    intrigued enough to actually try it out and now I disagree with you.

                                    A few users seem to have missed the point, and are talking about
                                    working "DX" and sending QSL cards for contacts. Some of them may live
                                    in retirement homes and other situations where it is not possible for
                                    them to engage in real radio activity. Why shouldn't they still play
                                    at radio? The people I spoke to all realise that it is not radio. If
                                    you just regard it as a closed Internet chat service for hams with a
                                    ham-friendly user interface then it is actually a lot of fun, as well
                                    as a potential off-air training ground for operating practise,
                                    learning CW and more.

                                    People who can't read code are using CWGet to copy code that is sent
                                    there, which they can because it is a well-written program that will
                                    share the sound card with the CQ100 program. If that encourages people
                                    to be interested in CW then that is no bad thing, surely?