SeaTTY lock-up problems.

  • W. Curt Deegan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
      Has there been any progress in solving the lock-ups reported with SeaTTY v1.71?

      I continue to have problems after running for a few hours at a time. The
      program stops decoding and begins consuming all processor resources allowed
      to it -- 50% on my machine -- and must be forced to terminate.

      The most recent failure occurred with a raw file size of just over 40kB,
      after running unattended for 3hr and 20min.

      Curt
      -------
      W. Curt Deegan
      Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida
    • Peter Conway
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
        Hi Curt,

        I have had the same problem, I am running my SeaTTY on an old laptop and had
        suspected it might be the problem, further checks and your email seem to
        confirm maybe the program is causing it? It fails after lenghty running and
        locks-up.

        Best regards,

        Peter Conway g3ufi Hastings UK JO00GV
        WinRadio G313i V2.18 / Racal 1792
        8/16 hz audio filters - pa0rdt circuit
        ALA1530 rotateable loop - 1m above ground
        Mini-whip by pa0rdt - 6m above ground
        WWSU 6.2 / NDB Weblog 1.1.25 / SeaTTY V1.71
        Spectran V2.0 / SkySweeper 3.10 / Code30
        NAVTEX Decoder V2.1.0

        Has there been any progress in solving the lock-ups reported with SeaTTY
        v1.71?

        I continue to have problems after running for a few hours at a time. The
        program stops decoding and begins consuming all processor resources allowed
        to it -- 50% on my machine -- and must be forced to terminate.

        The most recent failure occurred with a raw file size of just over 40kB,
        after running unattended for 3hr and 20min.

        Curt
        -------
        W. Curt Deegan
        Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida

        To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty email to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • W. Curt Deegan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
          Peter,

          I'm using a fairly new desktop PC which normally only needs 2% for SeaTTY
          processing. Plenty of memory, etc.

          No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing to leave the
          machine running over night only to find it locked up and having missed
          everything.

          Curt
          -------

          At 08:18 AM 10/7/2006, you wrote:
          >Hi Curt,
          >
          >I have had the same problem, I am running my SeaTTY on an old laptop and had
          >suspected it might be the problem, further checks and your email seem to
          >confirm maybe the program is causing it? It fails after lenghty running and
          >locks-up.
          >
          >Best regards,
          >
          >Peter Conway g3ufi Hastings UK JO00GV
          >WinRadio G313i V2.18 / Racal 1792
          >8/16 hz audio filters - pa0rdt circuit
          >ALA1530 rotateable loop - 1m above ground
          >Mini-whip by pa0rdt - 6m above ground
          >WWSU 6.2 / NDB Weblog 1.1.25 / SeaTTY V1.71
          >Spectran V2.0 / SkySweeper 3.10 / Code30
          >NAVTEX Decoder V2.1.0

        • Alan Gale
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
            At 18:51 07/10/2006, you wrote:
            >Peter,
            >
            >I'm using a fairly new desktop PC which normally only needs 2% for SeaTTY
            >processing. Plenty of memory, etc.
            >
            >No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing to leave the
            >machine running over night only to find it locked up and having missed
            >everything.
            >
            >Curt
            >-------
            >W. Curt Deegan
            >Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida

            Hi Curt,

            You might like to check if your PC's power saver settings are set to
            turn off your hard drive after a set period of time, I have had problems
            with this in the past when leaving a PC running unattended.

            Try right clicking on your desktop and then left clicking on 'properties',
            and then choose the 'Screensaver' tab, and click on the 'power' button
            at the bottom. If any of the 'schemes' are set to turn off change them
            all to 'never' and see if that makes any difference.

            Some programmes don't like it when a PC goes to sleep, and can often
            hang when this comes on.

            Just a suggestion worth trying anyway, this might also be a cause on
            Peter's laptop too.

            73 for now, Alan.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
              Hello W.,

              Sunday, October 8, 2006, you wrote:

              WCD> No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing to leave the
              WCD> machine running over night only to find it locked up and having missed
              WCD> everything.

              So far I didn't find another reason of such problem then error in soundcard driver...

              Once more attempt to bypass a problem is to disable screen saver...

              Best regards,
              Sergei mailto:sp@...
              http://www.dxsoft.com
            • W. Curt Deegan
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
                Alan,

                Thanks for the suggestion. That is something I hadn't considered.

                However, more than once SeaTTY has locked up while I was actively using my
                PC with SeaTTY running in the background. Those times at least, it wasn't
                due to power saver settings.

                Also, now that I think about it, before the more recent versions, I was
                able to run SeaTTY overnight on this same PC.

                There was a change in the scrolling routines a version or so ago, and ever
                since then, it seems to me the program has not run nearly so well as
                before, both its scrolling and this lock-up problem.

                Your point, though, is certainly a valid one to consider when any time
                running unattended programs.

                Curt

                At 05:01 PM 10/7/2006, you wrote:
                >At 18:51 07/10/2006, you wrote:
                > >Peter,
                > >
                > >I'm using a fairly new desktop PC which normally only needs 2% for SeaTTY
                > >processing. Plenty of memory, etc.
                > >
                > >No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing to leave the
                > >machine running over night only to find it locked up and having missed
                > >everything.
                > >
                > >Curt
                > >-------
                > >W. Curt Deegan
                > >Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida
                >

                >Hi Curt,
                >
                >You might like to check if your PC's power saver settings are set to
                >turn off your hard drive after a set period of time, I have had problems
                >with this in the past when leaving a PC running unattended.
                >
                >Try right clicking on your desktop and then left clicking on 'properties',
                >and then choose the 'Screensaver' tab, and click on the 'power' button
                >at the bottom. If any of the 'schemes' are set to turn off change them
                >all to 'never' and see if that makes any difference.
                >
                >Some programmes don't like it when a PC goes to sleep, and can often
                >hang when this comes on.
                >
                >Just a suggestion worth trying anyway, this might also be a cause on
                >Peter's laptop too.
                >

                >73 for now, Alan.
                >

                >To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty email to:
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • W. Curt Deegan
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
                  Thanks for the reply.

                  I do not use a screen saver and am unaware of any problems with my sound
                  card drivers. I've had no other audio programs exhibit this problem.

                  Can you tell me something I can do to check for a sound card problem and
                  how to correct it? I have searched for updated drivers and have found
                  none. My Dell Dimension 3000 system audio type is: AC97, Sound Blaster
                  Emulation, ADI 1980 audio controller with 2.1 implementation.

                  Curt

                  At 05:21 PM 10/7/2006, you wrote:
                  >Hello W.,
                  >
                  >Sunday, October 8, 2006, you wrote:
                  >

                  >WCD> No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing to
                  >leave the
                  >WCD> machine running over night only to find it locked up and having missed
                  >WCD> everything.
                  >
                  >So far I didn't find another reason of such problem then error in
                  >soundcard driver...
                  >
                  >Once more attempt to bypass a problem is to disable screen saver...
                  >
                  >Best regards,
                  > Sergei mailto:sp@...
                  > http://www.dxsoft.com
                • Peter Conway
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
                    Hi Alan/Curt,

                    Thanks for suggestion Alan, but all settings are on 'never'. I'll do some
                    more checking as haven't been using SeaTTY just lately'

                    73,

                    Peter Conway g3ufi Hastings UK JO00GV
                    >I'm using a fairly new desktop PC which normally only needs 2% for SeaTTY
                    >processing. Plenty of memory, etc.
                    >
                    >No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing to leave the
                    >machine running over night only to find it locked up and having missed
                    >everything.
                    >
                    >Curt
                    >-------
                    >W. Curt Deegan
                    >Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida

                    Hi Curt,

                    You might like to check if your PC's power saver settings are set to
                    turn off your hard drive after a set period of time, I have had problems
                    with this in the past when leaving a PC running unattended.

                    Try right clicking on your desktop and then left clicking on 'properties',
                    and then choose the 'Screensaver' tab, and click on the 'power' button
                    at the bottom. If any of the 'schemes' are set to turn off change them
                    all to 'never' and see if that makes any difference.

                    Some programmes don't like it when a PC goes to sleep, and can often
                    hang when this comes on.

                    Just a suggestion worth trying anyway, this might also be a cause on
                    Peter's laptop too.

                    73 for now, Alan.

                    To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty email to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • roadlighting
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
                      I had the same sort of problems with 1.71, emailed sergei, pointed me
                      in the direction of soundcard etc, running it on a AMD Athlon with
                      heaps of memory under XP, but to try and identify the problem dug out
                      an old PC and loaded it with Win2000, tried it with it's on board
                      soundcard then with a new PCI mounted card, and finally with a USB
                      soundcard, all to no avail.

                      Eventually emailed Sergei again and asked for a copy of v1.60, and
                      since running that I have no problems, ok you don't get the SAME/NOAA
                      but then again I am in UK so it was unlikely that I would use it.

                      Hope that heps a bit.

                      73's

                      Phil

                      --- In dxsoft@yahoogroups.com, "W. Curt Deegan" <WWWR@...> wrote:

                      > Alan,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the suggestion. That is something I hadn't considered.
                      >
                      > However, more than once SeaTTY has locked up while I was actively
                      using my
                      > PC with SeaTTY running in the background. Those times at least, it
                      wasn't
                      > due to power saver settings.
                      >
                      > Also, now that I think about it, before the more recent versions, I
                      was
                      > able to run SeaTTY overnight on this same PC.
                      >
                      > There was a change in the scrolling routines a version or so ago,
                      and ever
                      > since then, it seems to me the program has not run nearly so well
                      as
                      > before, both its scrolling and this lock-up problem.
                      >
                      > Your point, though, is certainly a valid one to consider when any
                      time
                      > running unattended programs.
                      >
                      > Curt
                      >

                      > At 05:01 PM 10/7/2006, you wrote:
                      > >At 18:51 07/10/2006, you wrote:
                      > > >Peter,
                      > > >
                      > > >I'm using a fairly new desktop PC which normally only needs 2%
                      for SeaTTY
                      > > >processing. Plenty of memory, etc.
                      > > >
                      > > >No idea what the problem might be but it is very disappointing
                      to leave the
                      > > >machine running over night only to find it locked up and having
                      missed
                      > > >everything.
                      > > >
                      > > >Curt
                      > > >-------
                      > > >W. Curt Deegan
                      > > >Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida
                      > >

                      > >Hi Curt,
                      > >
                      > >You might like to check if your PC's power saver settings are set
                      > >turn off your hard drive after a set period of time, I have had
                      problems
                      > >with this in the past when leaving a PC running unattended.
                      > >
                      > >Try right clicking on your desktop and then left clicking
                      on 'properties',
                      > >and then choose the 'Screensaver' tab, and click on the 'power'
                      button
                      > >at the bottom. If any of the 'schemes' are set to turn off change
                      them
                      > >all to 'never' and see if that makes any difference.
                      > >
                      > >Some programmes don't like it when a PC goes to sleep, and can
                      often
                      > >hang when this comes on.
                      > >
                      > >Just a suggestion worth trying anyway, this might also be a cause
                      on
                      > >Peter's laptop too.
                      > >

                      > >73 for now, Alan.
                      > >

                      > >To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty email to:
                      > >
                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • W. Curt Deegan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
                        Phil,

                        Your observations are consistent with my recollection that the lock-up
                        problem began with the version that first had scrolling problems which were
                        the result of using new scrolling routines. The scrolling problem has been
                        mostly fixed, it's still a little flaky but not nearly so bad, but the
                        lock-ups continue.

                        Your idea of going back to v1.6 is an interesting one. Like you, I don't
                        use the new features. Being a good pack rat, I still have the install
                        package for v1.6. I only wonder if any improvements in decoding might be
                        lost by so doing. SeaTTY continues to be far better at that primary task
                        than other packages I've tried.

                        Curt
                        -------