Re: [dxsoft] Re: reprogramming a TNC - thanks

  • Paul Plasters
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi Derek,
      There is a start up procedure with almost all TNC's. Maybe you have done this already?

      Basically it is getting your computer and your TNC to talk to each other.

      The Jibberish calls you are receiving, do you know what country they are from?

      They well could be from some other country. Or maybe not tuned quite properly.
      Are you using the proper sideband?

      I think most use upper side band no matter what frequency they are on. Are you set for SSB or for FM?

      What actual frequency are you trying to use?

      Maybe one of the above items will help or jog your memory or something. If not, let me know and we will keep trying.
      73 Paul K9PEP

      derek ardais <quantum_mediatech@...> wrote:

      thanks for answering paul. im using a KAM 98 and im still very,very new in amatuer radio. i guess thats why i've been asking these kind of questions. and, jim, rest assured im not doing anything illegal.;) it's just that im confused with what im getting. in some freqs, i can read the messages fine (weather reports) but in some im getting garbage. ive tried different settings, even different softwares but still no luck. thats why i was wondering if some transmissions are encrypted in the way i described earlier.

      so it's illegal huh? how can i tell whether what im getting is encrypted or not? im also wondering if they're sending in characters other than the English charset (chinese, etc.) and my PC doesn't support it. is that possible?

      again many thanks

      73

      derek

      The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God
      will not protect you.

    • Paul Plasters