cw skimmer

  • haircutter14085
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2008
      Hello group,
      I am new to using the cw skimmer. I have it setup with a K3 and a LP-
      PAN also using the Navigator interface.Seems to be woring fine except
      when I click on a call sign, and the rig changes freqs I am not on the
      same freq as the call sign. What setting am I missing?

      Don...w2xb
    • Frank LaFranco
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2008
        Hello Don,
        I use CWSkimmer with Omni-Rig for K3 CAT control and the E-MU 0202 sound
        card. CWSkimmer work correctly on my setup. Omni-Rig controls the K3 and
        CWSkimmer is updated bi-directional (IE click in Skimmer waterfall updates
        K3 frequency and tune K3 and updates Skimmer frequency). Normally I use
        CWSkimmer to tune the K3 just by clicking in the CWSkimmer waterfall
        display. Also clicking on calls in the Callsign List will put K3 on the
        stations frequency. Here are the settings I used in both Omni-rig and
        CWSkimmer:
        Omni-rig settings:
        Rig 1 TAB => Rig type = Elecraft K3, Port = Com 4, Baud rate = 38400, Data
        bits = 8, Parity = None, Stop bits = 1, RTS = Low, DTR = Low, Poll int., ms
        = 500, Timeout, ms = 4000
        Rig 2 tab => NONE

        CWSkimmer settings:
        Radio TAB => Hardware Type = SoftRock-IF, Sampling Rate = 48 kHz, CW Pitch =
        700, Audio IF, Hz = 800

        Audio TAB => Soundcard Driver = WDM, Signal I/O Device = E-MU 0202 USB,
        Audio I/O Device = E-MU 0202 USB, Channels Left/Right = Q/I, Shift Right
        Channel Data by = 0 samples

        CAT TAB = > CAT Interface = Use Radio 1 (Elecraft K3)

        Misc TAB => Disable Windows animation = checked, Band Plan = ARRL, USA,
        Decode only in CW segments = checked, Max Number of CW Decoders = 550,
        Adaptive = checked

        Operator, Telnet, Calls TABS not important to K3 functionality.

        My computer runs Windows XP.

        Hope this helps,
        Frank - W6NEK

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2008
          Hello Frank,
          Thanks for the info and fast reply. I have all the setting and still
          the same. I click on a call sign and and the rig freq move to that
          freq. But the actual signal is about 3 kc lower. It must be the sound
          card in the Navigator thats not compatable. Think I will get another
          sound card and see what I get. All is working like it should, but its
          not going to the right frequency.

          Don...w2xb

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Frank LaFranco"

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2008
            Frank, is it possible to alter the 'LO' frequency in the settings area
            and try to 'fool' the 'Skimmer'?

            Bruce, K2BET
            --------

            haircutter14085 wrote:

            > Hello Frank,
            > Thanks for the info and fast reply. I have all the setting and still
            > the same. I click on a call sign and and the rig freq move to that
            > freq. But the actual signal is about 3 kc lower. It must be the sound
            > card in the Navigator thats not compatable. Think I will get another
            > sound card and see what I get. All is working like it should, but its
            > not going to the right frequency.
            >
            > Don...w2xb
            >
            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Frank LaFranco"
            > <flafranco@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Don,
            > > I use CWSkimmer with Omni-Rig for K3 CAT control and the E-MU 0202
            > sound
            > > card. CWSkimmer work correctly on my setup. Omni-Rig controls the
            > K3 and
            > > CWSkimmer is updated bi-directional (IE click in Skimmer waterfall
            > updates
            > > K3 frequency and tune K3 and updates Skimmer frequency). Normally
            > I use
            > > CWSkimmer to tune the K3 just by clicking in the CWSkimmer
            > waterfall
            > > display. Also clicking on calls in the Callsign List will put K3
            > on the
            > > stations frequency. Here are the settings I used in both Omni-rig
            > and
            > > CWSkimmer:
            > > Omni-rig settings:
            > > Rig 1 TAB => Rig type = Elecraft K3, Port = Com 4, Baud rate =
            > 38400, Data
            > > bits = 8, Parity = None, Stop bits = 1, RTS = Low, DTR = Low, Poll
            > int., ms
            > > = 500, Timeout, ms = 4000
            > > Rig 2 tab => NONE
            > >
            > > CWSkimmer settings:
            > > Radio TAB => Hardware Type = SoftRock-IF, Sampling Rate = 48 kHz,
            > CW Pitch =
            > > 700, Audio IF, Hz = 800
            > >
            > > Audio TAB => Soundcard Driver = WDM, Signal I/O Device = E-MU 0202
            > USB,
            > > Audio I/O Device = E-MU 0202 USB, Channels Left/Right = Q/I, Shift
            > Right
            > > Channel Data by = 0 samples
            > >
            > > CAT TAB = > CAT Interface = Use Radio 1 (Elecraft K3)
            > >
            > > Misc TAB => Disable Windows animation = checked, Band Plan = ARRL,
            > USA,
            > > Decode only in CW segments = checked, Max Number of CW Decoders =
            > 550,
            > > Adaptive = checked
            > >
            > > Operator, Telnet, Calls TABS not important to K3 functionality.
            > >
            > > My computer runs Windows XP.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps,
            > > Frank - W6NEK

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2008
              Hi Don, Frank & all

              I've been using CW Skimmer and an Icom R8500 in 3kHz mode for a few months
              now without any problems (or so I thought). A couple of weeks ago I decided
              to hook it up to the Telnet server on the skimmer.dxwatch.com. Again, all
              seemed fine until.

              I decided to change frequency. I used the up arrow/down arrow icon on
              Skimmer to increase the freq. and to my surprise the signal I had just
              decoded (typically 4kHz below where the rx'er is tuned to now) appeared
              again.

              OK, some operators may QSY quickly but what I noticed was that I was
              actually decoding an 'image' of the desired signal. The image was created in
              the receiver and although the Icom spec says the image should be >60dB down,
              I think with a very strong signal the 'image' signal breaks through the
              passband filter. The image was always 4kHz away as can be seen by the
              double-postings I was making of the same callsign on the DXwatch website.

              I noticed that if I was decoding the image then clicked on it either on the
              waterfall or the bandplan, the receiver would change freq by the desired
              amount, but the image signal (and callsign) would move in the opposite
              direction to that which the receiver was tuning. This only happens with very
              strong signals.

              Up until now, I've only used the R8500 in CW mode with Skimmer but when I
              get time today I'll use it in LSB mode and see what happens.

              Regards

              Chris (SWLer in UK, grid IO91kw)

              _____

              --- In dxatlas_group@ <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
              <flafranco@...> wrote:

              > Hello Don,
              > I use CWSkimmer with Omni-Rig for K3 CAT control and the E-MU 0202
              sound
              > card. CWSkimmer work correctly on my setup. Omni-Rig controls the
              K3 and
              > CWSkimmer is updated bi-directional (IE click in Skimmer waterfall
              updates
              > K3 frequency and tune K3 and updates Skimmer frequency). Normally
              I use
              > CWSkimmer to tune the K3 just by clicking in the CWSkimmer
              waterfall
              > display. Also clicking on calls in the Callsign List will put K3
              on the
              > stations frequency. Here are the settings I used in both Omni-rig
              and
              > CWSkimmer:
              > Omni-rig settings:
              > Rig 1 TAB => Rig type = Elecraft K3, Port = Com 4, Baud rate =
              38400, Data
              > bits = 8, Parity = None, Stop bits = 1, RTS = Low, DTR = Low, Poll
              int., ms
              > = 500, Timeout, ms = 4000
              > Rig 2 tab => NONE
              >
              > CWSkimmer settings:
              > Radio TAB => Hardware Type = SoftRock-IF, Sampling Rate = 48 kHz,
              CW Pitch =
              > 700, Audio IF, Hz = 800
              >
              > Audio TAB => Soundcard Driver = WDM, Signal I/O Device = E-MU 0202
              USB,
              > Audio I/O Device = E-MU 0202 USB, Channels Left/Right = Q/I, Shift
              Right
              > Channel Data by = 0 samples
              >
              > CAT TAB = > CAT Interface = Use Radio 1 (Elecraft K3)
              >
              > Misc TAB => Disable Windows animation = checked, Band Plan = ARRL,
              USA,
              > Decode only in CW segments = checked, Max Number of CW Decoders =
              550,
              > Adaptive = checked
              >
              > Operator, Telnet, Calls TABS not important to K3 functionality.
              >
              > My computer runs Windows XP.
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > Frank - W6NEK

            • Frank LaFranco
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2008
                Hi Don,
                Another thing in the K3 that can affect the Skimmer frequency is the roofing
                filter offset. If you select different roofing filters (I.E. 2.7KHz, 500
                Hz, 200 Hz) you will see a frequency shift caused by the filter offset. If
                you are using 8 pole filters the offset should be Zero but the 5 pole
                filters have significant offset values. Change filters and see if you
                notice the difference. Also, be sure to select CW and not CW/Rev mode.

                Best 73,
                Frank - W6NEK