[dxatlas] Re: Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter - Correction

  • Barry GM3YEH
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
      I have mainly used CW Skimmer and N1MM using the Eterlogic
      splitter. I've had them running together for long periods of time
      and worked the setup pretty hard in a few contests. The N1MM hang
      on exit is the only problem I have seen and this is absolutely
      trivial as far as I'm concerned. Unless OmniRig capability gets
      built into N1MM some time then the Eterlogic solution is the one for
      me. I've also had Ham Radio Deluxe working with CW Skimmer in a
      similar setup with full success.
      73 de Barry GM3YEH.

      > What other application programs are you using it with, Barry -
      sorry if
      > you've said before but I don't recall.
      >
      > 73, Pete
      >
      > At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
      > >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
      > >exit hang you mention though.
      > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
      > >

      > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
      > >serial port
      > > > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason
      am
      > >now
      > > > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
      > >sharing
      > > > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
      > >radio, the
      > > > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds
      from
      > >the
      > > > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
      > >clearly bad
      > > > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
      > >this before,
      > > > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
      > >also
      > > > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first,
      while
      > >using
      > > > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
      > > >
      > > > oh well.....
      > > >
      > > > 73, Pete N4ZR

    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
        The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool is
        solved. Following discussions with their technical support
        (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by me
        using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly is
        to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
        RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port (COM5
        in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
        normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
        port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and close
        cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in VSPE
        (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
        73 de Barry GM3YEH.

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...>
        wrote:

        > I have mainly used CW Skimmer and N1MM using the Eterlogic
        > splitter. I've had them running together for long periods of time
        > and worked the setup pretty hard in a few contests. The N1MM hang
        > on exit is the only problem I have seen and this is absolutely
        > trivial as far as I'm concerned. Unless OmniRig capability gets
        > built into N1MM some time then the Eterlogic solution is the one
        for
        > me. I've also had Ham Radio Deluxe working with CW Skimmer in a
        > similar setup with full success.
        > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
        >
        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What other application programs are you using it with, Barry -
        > sorry if
        > > you've said before but I don't recall.
        > >
        > > 73, Pete
        > >
        > > At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
        > > >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
        > > >exit hang you mention though.
        > > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.

        > > >serial port
        > am
        > > >now
        > > >sharing
        > > >radio, the
        > from
        > > >the
        > > >clearly bad
        > > >this before,
        I've
        > > >also
        > while
        > > >using

      • rt_tclay
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 19, 2008
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

          > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool is
          > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
          > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by
          me
          > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly
          is
          > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
          > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
          (COM5
          > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
          > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
          > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and close
          > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in VSPE
          > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
          > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.

          I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I still
          had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.

          However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out (7/15/08).
          With the new version I don't get the hangs.

          Tor
          N4OGW
        • Barry GM3YEH
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
            There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
            didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the problem I
            had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
            splitter rather than two.
            Barry GM3YEH.

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool
            is
            > > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
            > > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by
            > me
            > > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly
            > is
            > > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
            > > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
            > (COM5
            > > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
            > > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
            > > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and
            close
            > > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in
            VSPE
            > > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
            > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
            > >

            > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
            still
            > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
            >
            > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
            (7/15/08).
            > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
            >
            > Tor
            > N4OGW

          • Marijan Miletic
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 23, 2008
              I'd like to be able to control RTS/DTR in spliter. Unfortunately
              once they are set ON of physical port, they can't be reset? Changing
              two bits in control register is not a rocket science.

              73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

              > There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
              > didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the problem
              > had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
              > splitter rather than two.
              > Barry GM3YEH.
              >
              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@>
              wrote:

              > > > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE
              tool
              > is
              > > > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
              > > > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused
              by
              > > me
              > > > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it
              correctly
              > > is
              > > > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your
              real
              > > > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
              > > (COM5
              > > > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
              > > > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual
              COM
              > > > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and
              > close
              > > > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in
              > VSPE
              > > > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
              > > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
              > > >

              > > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
              > still
              > > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
              > >
              > > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
              > (7/15/08).
              > > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
              > >
              > > Tor
              > > N4OGW

            • barrygm3yeh
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 23, 2008
                Mario,

                v0.77 of VSPE onwards might be able to solve your problem. If not
                then post a message in their support forum at:
                http://forum.eterlogic.com/
                They are responding to requests for bug fixes and development very
                quickly and making new releases of the tool every few days.

                73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@...>
                wrote:

                > I'd like to be able to control RTS/DTR in spliter. Unfortunately
                > once they are set ON of physical port, they can't be reset?
                Changing
                > two bits in control register is not a rocket science.
                >
                > 73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU
                >

                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@> wrote:
                > >
                > > There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                > > didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the
                problem
                > > had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                > > splitter rather than two.
                > > Barry GM3YEH.
                > >
                > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@>

                > tool
                > > is
                > by
                > > > me
                > correctly
                > > > is
                > real
                > > > (COM5
                > COM
                > > close
                > > VSPE
                > > > >

                > > > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                > > still
                > > > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                > > >
                > > > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                > > (7/15/08).
                > > > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                > > >
                > > > Tor
                > > > N4OGW

              • Marijan Miletic
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
                  Eterlogic spliter ver. 0.78 works fine with Skimmer and N1MM Logger
                  which uses RTS/DTR for KEY/PTT control of FT1K. Great service.

                  73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

                • Tobias Wellnitz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 15 9:07 AM
                    Hi,

                    everybody is working with Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter for cw-skimmer and
                    win-test ?

                    n1mm + cw-skimmer work well.

                    Win-Test however is continously jumping between VFO1 and VFO2 which is a
                    little bit annoying.

                    Anybody knows a workaround ?

                    73, Toby
                    EA4/DH1TW

                    _____

                    --- In dxatlas_group@ <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

                    > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
                    serial port
                    > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am
                    now
                    > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
                    sharing
                    > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
                    radio, the
                    > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds from
                    the
                    > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
                    clearly bad
                    > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
                    this before,
                    > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
                    also
                    > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first, while
                    using
                    > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
                    >
                    > oh well.....

                  • Barry GM3YEH
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 16 5:14 AM
                      Hi Toby,
                      I do not use WinTest so I cannot give a direct answer. If you
                      suspect that the problem is with the Eterlogic VSPE then I suggest
                      that you go to their website where you will find a support forum.
                      Posting questions there always results in a very fast response. If
                      VSPE is the problem they will try to fix it. Some bug fixes are
                      done within a few hours!
                      73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Wellnitz"