Re: Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter - Correction

  • rt_tclay
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8 8:39 PM
      The device configurer in N1MM also hangs when I try to close it.

      Tor
      N4OGW

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

      > No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
      > exit hang you mention though.
      > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.

    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9 1:08 AM
        Err... Lets send this to the correct address this time! ;-)

        OK...

        What did I say some time back, about trying to share ONE hardware device
        between TWO software packages with a port splitter/sharer etc? It can
        lead to trouble.

        Use OmniRig as the "splitter", then, only one piece of software
        (OmniRig) will talk to the radio, it will supply the latest information
        to the other app's when requested, acting as a buffer if you like,
        between the app's and the radio. (Of course, that needs both programs
        to be able to use OmniRig.)

        But.. If both packages are trying to "Control" (command) the radio, it
        could still lead to problems.

        N1MM Logger not being able to close, if Skimmer has closed first, is
        probably another symptom of serial port data colic, caused by using a
        "dumb" splitter such as the Eterlogic system...

        ("Dumb" as in no smart way to manage the data flow without collision or
        corruption, or any way to prevent "program 2" from using the "Device"
        until "program 1" has finished with it.)

        Don't get me wrong. The Eterlogic program is very good, and a most
        excellent tool for what it does.
        (It can also make a serial port on one PC, available to another PC via
        the 'net. Good for remoting)

        But with RS232 devices, you are just asking for trouble, sharing one
        device (the radio) between two programs, that expect they are the only
        programs controlling the one device they know about.

        The Radio on the other hand, is only doing the best it can with what
        it's told, by the One host (the PC) it is connected to. But in truth,
        it's TWO "Hosts".

        Do you see where the likely confusion comes in?

        Before someone says... GPS's are a different case. Most of the traffic
        is FROM the one device, to many programs. There is little (if any)
        traffic the other way most of the time.

        Radio control however, there is TWO WAY serial port traffic, with two
        programs trying that, for different reasons, you can imagine what
        happens if both try to control the ONE radio at the same time.

        Best Regards etc, take care....

        73

        Dave G0WBX.

        > __________
        > 2a. Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter - Correction
        > Posted by: "Pete Smith" n4zr@... n4zr
        > Date: Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:55 am ((PDT))
        >
        > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual serial
        > port emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am
        > now getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
        > sharing between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
        > radio, the frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of
        > seconds from the correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall
        > numbers - clearly bad data being received by Skimmer. I don't know
        > why I didn't see this before, but it will be a show-stopper unless
        > there is some cure. I've also discovered that MM won't close when
        > Skimmer is closed first, while using the VSPE - annoying but not
        > fatal, like the other thing.
        >
        > oh well.....
        >
        > 73, Pete N4ZR

        This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited. www.palmercook.co.uk
      • Barry GM3YEH
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9 4:58 AM
          I have mainly used CW Skimmer and N1MM using the Eterlogic
          splitter. I've had them running together for long periods of time
          and worked the setup pretty hard in a few contests. The N1MM hang
          on exit is the only problem I have seen and this is absolutely
          trivial as far as I'm concerned. Unless OmniRig capability gets
          built into N1MM some time then the Eterlogic solution is the one for
          me. I've also had Ham Radio Deluxe working with CW Skimmer in a
          similar setup with full success.
          73 de Barry GM3YEH.

          > What other application programs are you using it with, Barry -
          sorry if
          > you've said before but I don't recall.
          >
          > 73, Pete
          >
          > At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
          > >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
          > >exit hang you mention though.
          > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
          > >

          > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
          > >serial port
          > > > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason
          am
          > >now
          > > > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
          > >sharing
          > > > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
          > >radio, the
          > > > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds
          from
          > >the
          > > > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
          > >clearly bad
          > > > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
          > >this before,
          > > > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
          > >also
          > > > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first,
          while
          > >using
          > > > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
          > > >
          > > > oh well.....
          > > >
          > > > 73, Pete N4ZR

        • Barry GM3YEH
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 18 1:53 AM
            The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool is
            solved. Following discussions with their technical support
            (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by me
            using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly is
            to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
            RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port (COM5
            in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
            normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
            port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and close
            cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in VSPE
            (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
            73 de Barry GM3YEH.

            wrote:

            > I have mainly used CW Skimmer and N1MM using the Eterlogic
            > splitter. I've had them running together for long periods of time
            > and worked the setup pretty hard in a few contests. The N1MM hang
            > on exit is the only problem I have seen and this is absolutely
            > trivial as far as I'm concerned. Unless OmniRig capability gets
            > built into N1MM some time then the Eterlogic solution is the one
            for
            > me. I've also had Ham Radio Deluxe working with CW Skimmer in a
            > similar setup with full success.
            > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
            >
            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > What other application programs are you using it with, Barry -
            > sorry if
            > > you've said before but I don't recall.
            > >
            > > 73, Pete
            > >
            > > At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
            > > >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
            > > >exit hang you mention though.
            > > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.

            > > >serial port
            > am
            > > >now
            > > >sharing
            > > >radio, the
            > from
            > > >the
            > > >clearly bad
            > > >this before,
            I've
            > > >also
            > while
            > > >using

          • rt_tclay
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 19 9:08 AM
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

              > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool is
              > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
              > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by
              me
              > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly
              is
              > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
              > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
              (COM5
              > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
              > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
              > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and close
              > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in VSPE
              > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
              > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.

              I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I still
              had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.

              However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out (7/15/08).
              With the new version I don't get the hangs.

              Tor
              N4OGW
            • Barry GM3YEH
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 22 9:35 AM
                There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the problem I
                had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                splitter rather than two.
                Barry GM3YEH.

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool
                is
                > > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
                > > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by
                > me
                > > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly
                > is
                > > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
                > > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
                > (COM5
                > > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
                > > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
                > > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and
                close
                > > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in
                VSPE
                > > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
                > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
                > >

                > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                still
                > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                >
                > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                (7/15/08).
                > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                >
                > Tor
                > N4OGW

              • Marijan Miletic
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 23 9:30 AM
                  I'd like to be able to control RTS/DTR in spliter. Unfortunately
                  once they are set ON of physical port, they can't be reset? Changing
                  two bits in control register is not a rocket science.

                  73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

                  > There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                  > didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the problem
                  > had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                  > splitter rather than two.
                  > Barry GM3YEH.
                  >
                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@>
                  wrote:

                  > > > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE
                  tool
                  > is
                  > > > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
                  > > > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused
                  by
                  > > me
                  > > > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it
                  correctly
                  > > is
                  > > > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your
                  real
                  > > > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
                  > > (COM5
                  > > > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
                  > > > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual
                  COM
                  > > > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and
                  > close
                  > > > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in
                  > VSPE
                  > > > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
                  > > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
                  > > >

                  > > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                  > still
                  > > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                  > >
                  > > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                  > (7/15/08).
                  > > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                  > >
                  > > Tor
                  > > N4OGW

                • barrygm3yeh
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 23 10:00 AM
                    Mario,

                    v0.77 of VSPE onwards might be able to solve your problem. If not
                    then post a message in their support forum at:
                    http://forum.eterlogic.com/
                    They are responding to requests for bug fixes and development very
                    quickly and making new releases of the tool every few days.

                    73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I'd like to be able to control RTS/DTR in spliter. Unfortunately
                    > once they are set ON of physical port, they can't be reset?
                    Changing
                    > two bits in control register is not a rocket science.
                    >
                    > 73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU
                    >

                    > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                    > > didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the
                    problem
                    > > had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                    > > splitter rather than two.
                    > > Barry GM3YEH.
                    > >
                    > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@>

                    > tool
                    > > is
                    > by
                    > > > me
                    > correctly
                    > > > is
                    > real
                    > > > (COM5
                    > COM
                    > > close
                    > > VSPE
                    > > > >

                    > > > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                    > > still
                    > > > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                    > > >
                    > > > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                    > > (7/15/08).
                    > > > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                    > > >
                    > > > Tor
                    > > > N4OGW

                  • Marijan Miletic
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 25 1:26 AM
                      Eterlogic spliter ver. 0.78 works fine with Skimmer and N1MM Logger
                      which uses RTS/DTR for KEY/PTT control of FT1K. Great service.

                      73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

                    • Tobias Wellnitz
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
                        Hi,

                        everybody is working with Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter for cw-skimmer and
                        win-test ?

                        n1mm + cw-skimmer work well.

                        Win-Test however is continously jumping between VFO1 and VFO2 which is a
                        little bit annoying.

                        Anybody knows a workaround ?

                        73, Toby
                        EA4/DH1TW

                        _____

                        --- In dxatlas_group@ <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

                        > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
                        serial port
                        > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am
                        now
                        > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
                        sharing
                        > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
                        radio, the
                        > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds from
                        the
                        > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
                        clearly bad
                        > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
                        this before,
                        > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
                        also
                        > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first, while
                        using
                        > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
                        >
                        > oh well.....

                      • Barry GM3YEH
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
                          Hi Toby,
                          I do not use WinTest so I cannot give a direct answer. If you
                          suspect that the problem is with the Eterlogic VSPE then I suggest
                          that you go to their website where you will find a support forum.
                          Posting questions there always results in a very fast response. If
                          VSPE is the problem they will try to fix it. Some bug fixes are
                          done within a few hours!
                          73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Wellnitz"