Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter - Correction

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
      Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual serial port
      emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am now
      getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when sharing
      between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either radio, the
      frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds from the
      correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers - clearly bad
      data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see this before,
      but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've also
      discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first, while using
      the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.

      oh well.....

      73, Pete N4ZR
    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
        No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
        exit hang you mention though.
        73 de Barry GM3YEH.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
          What other application programs are you using it with, Barry - sorry if
          you've said before but I don't recall.

          73, Pete

          At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
          >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
          >exit hang you mention though.
          >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
          >

          >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
          >serial port
          > > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am
          >now
          > > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
          >sharing
          > > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
          >radio, the
          > > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds from
          >the
          > > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
          >clearly bad
          > > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
          >this before,
          > > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
          >also
          > > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first, while
          >using
          > > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
          > >
          > > oh well.....
          > >
          > > 73, Pete N4ZR

        • rt_tclay
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
            Same here- no freq problems. But N1MM does hang on exit.

            Tor
            N4OGW

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

            > No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
            > exit hang you mention though.
            > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.

          • rt_tclay
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
              The device configurer in N1MM also hangs when I try to close it.

              Tor
              N4OGW

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

              > No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
              > exit hang you mention though.
              > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.

            • Dave Baxter
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                Err... Lets send this to the correct address this time! ;-)

                OK...

                What did I say some time back, about trying to share ONE hardware device
                between TWO software packages with a port splitter/sharer etc? It can
                lead to trouble.

                Use OmniRig as the "splitter", then, only one piece of software
                (OmniRig) will talk to the radio, it will supply the latest information
                to the other app's when requested, acting as a buffer if you like,
                between the app's and the radio. (Of course, that needs both programs
                to be able to use OmniRig.)

                But.. If both packages are trying to "Control" (command) the radio, it
                could still lead to problems.

                N1MM Logger not being able to close, if Skimmer has closed first, is
                probably another symptom of serial port data colic, caused by using a
                "dumb" splitter such as the Eterlogic system...

                ("Dumb" as in no smart way to manage the data flow without collision or
                corruption, or any way to prevent "program 2" from using the "Device"
                until "program 1" has finished with it.)

                Don't get me wrong. The Eterlogic program is very good, and a most
                excellent tool for what it does.
                (It can also make a serial port on one PC, available to another PC via
                the 'net. Good for remoting)

                But with RS232 devices, you are just asking for trouble, sharing one
                device (the radio) between two programs, that expect they are the only
                programs controlling the one device they know about.

                The Radio on the other hand, is only doing the best it can with what
                it's told, by the One host (the PC) it is connected to. But in truth,
                it's TWO "Hosts".

                Do you see where the likely confusion comes in?

                Before someone says... GPS's are a different case. Most of the traffic
                is FROM the one device, to many programs. There is little (if any)
                traffic the other way most of the time.

                Radio control however, there is TWO WAY serial port traffic, with two
                programs trying that, for different reasons, you can imagine what
                happens if both try to control the ONE radio at the same time.

                Best Regards etc, take care....

                73

                Dave G0WBX.

                > __________
                > 2a. Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter - Correction
                > Posted by: "Pete Smith" n4zr@... n4zr
                > Date: Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:55 am ((PDT))
                >
                > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual serial
                > port emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am
                > now getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
                > sharing between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
                > radio, the frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of
                > seconds from the correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall
                > numbers - clearly bad data being received by Skimmer. I don't know
                > why I didn't see this before, but it will be a show-stopper unless
                > there is some cure. I've also discovered that MM won't close when
                > Skimmer is closed first, while using the VSPE - annoying but not
                > fatal, like the other thing.
                >
                > oh well.....
                >
                > 73, Pete N4ZR

                This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited. www.palmercook.co.uk
              • Barry GM3YEH
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                  I have mainly used CW Skimmer and N1MM using the Eterlogic
                  splitter. I've had them running together for long periods of time
                  and worked the setup pretty hard in a few contests. The N1MM hang
                  on exit is the only problem I have seen and this is absolutely
                  trivial as far as I'm concerned. Unless OmniRig capability gets
                  built into N1MM some time then the Eterlogic solution is the one for
                  me. I've also had Ham Radio Deluxe working with CW Skimmer in a
                  similar setup with full success.
                  73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                  > What other application programs are you using it with, Barry -
                  sorry if
                  > you've said before but I don't recall.
                  >
                  > 73, Pete
                  >
                  > At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
                  > >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
                  > >exit hang you mention though.
                  > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.
                  > >

                  > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
                  > >serial port
                  > > > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason
                  am
                  > >now
                  > > > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
                  > >sharing
                  > > > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
                  > >radio, the
                  > > > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds
                  from
                  > >the
                  > > > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
                  > >clearly bad
                  > > > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
                  > >this before,
                  > > > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
                  > >also
                  > > > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first,
                  while
                  > >using
                  > > > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
                  > > >
                  > > > oh well.....
                  > > >
                  > > > 73, Pete N4ZR

                • Barry GM3YEH
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                    The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool is
                    solved. Following discussions with their technical support
                    (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by me
                    using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly is
                    to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
                    RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port (COM5
                    in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
                    normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
                    port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and close
                    cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in VSPE
                    (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
                    73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                    wrote:

                    > I have mainly used CW Skimmer and N1MM using the Eterlogic
                    > splitter. I've had them running together for long periods of time
                    > and worked the setup pretty hard in a few contests. The N1MM hang
                    > on exit is the only problem I have seen and this is absolutely
                    > trivial as far as I'm concerned. Unless OmniRig capability gets
                    > built into N1MM some time then the Eterlogic solution is the one
                    for
                    > me. I've also had Ham Radio Deluxe working with CW Skimmer in a
                    > similar setup with full success.
                    > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
                    >
                    > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > What other application programs are you using it with, Barry -
                    > sorry if
                    > > you've said before but I don't recall.
                    > >
                    > > 73, Pete
                    > >
                    > > At 02:08 PM 7/8/2008, you wrote:
                    > > >No such QRG pass problems noted here Pete. I have seen the N1MM
                    > > >exit hang you mention though.
                    > > >73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                    > > >serial port
                    > am
                    > > >now
                    > > >sharing
                    > > >radio, the
                    > from
                    > > >the
                    > > >clearly bad
                    > > >this before,
                    I've
                    > > >also
                    > while
                    > > >using

                  • rt_tclay
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 19, 2008
                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

                      > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool is
                      > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
                      > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by
                      me
                      > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly
                      is
                      > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
                      > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
                      (COM5
                      > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
                      > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
                      > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and close
                      > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in VSPE
                      > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
                      > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                      I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I still
                      had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.

                      However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out (7/15/08).
                      With the new version I don't get the hangs.

                      Tor
                      N4OGW
                    • Barry GM3YEH
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
                        There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                        didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the problem I
                        had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                        splitter rather than two.
                        Barry GM3YEH.

                        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE tool
                        is
                        > > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
                        > > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused by
                        > me
                        > > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it correctly
                        > is
                        > > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your real
                        > > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
                        > (COM5
                        > > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
                        > > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual COM
                        > > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and
                        close
                        > > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in
                        VSPE
                        > > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
                        > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
                        > >

                        > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                        still
                        > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                        >
                        > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                        (7/15/08).
                        > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                        >
                        > Tor
                        > N4OGW

                      • Marijan Miletic
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 23, 2008
                          I'd like to be able to control RTS/DTR in spliter. Unfortunately
                          once they are set ON of physical port, they can't be reset? Changing
                          two bits in control register is not a rocket science.

                          73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@...> wrote:

                          > There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                          > didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the problem
                          > had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                          > splitter rather than two.
                          > Barry GM3YEH.
                          >
                          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@>
                          wrote:

                          > > > The N1MM hang on exit problem when using the Eterlogic VSPE
                          tool
                          > is
                          > > > solved. Following discussions with their technical support
                          > > > (extremely good incidentally) it turns out to have been caused
                          by
                          > > me
                          > > > using a wrong setup of the VSPE tool. The way to do it
                          correctly
                          > > is
                          > > > to create one 'splitter' in VSPE which is connected to your
                          real
                          > > > RS232 COM port(COM1 in my case) and a single virtual COM port
                          > > (COM5
                          > > > in my case). Connect your CAT cable to the real COM port as
                          > > > normal. Point N1MM AND CW Skimmer at the same single virtual
                          COM
                          > > > port. Both applications then read/write from/to the CAT and
                          > close
                          > > > cleanly. The error I had made was to create 2 'splitters' in
                          > VSPE
                          > > > (one for each application) when only 1 was needed.
                          > > > 73 de Barry GM3YEH.
                          > > >

                          > > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                          > still
                          > > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                          > >
                          > > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                          > (7/15/08).
                          > > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                          > >
                          > > Tor
                          > > N4OGW

                        • barrygm3yeh
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 23, 2008
                            Mario,

                            v0.77 of VSPE onwards might be able to solve your problem. If not
                            then post a message in their support forum at:
                            http://forum.eterlogic.com/
                            They are responding to requests for bug fixes and development very
                            quickly and making new releases of the tool every few days.

                            73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I'd like to be able to control RTS/DTR in spliter. Unfortunately
                            > once they are set ON of physical port, they can't be reset?
                            Changing
                            > two bits in control register is not a rocket science.
                            >
                            > 73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU
                            >

                            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > There was a bug fixed as they investigated the problem - but that
                            > > didn't fully clear the hang on exit. To fully resolve the
                            problem
                            > > had to install the new VSPE and also start using only a single
                            > > splitter rather than two.
                            > > Barry GM3YEH.
                            > >
                            > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Barry GM3YEH" <bjbe@>

                            > tool
                            > > is
                            > by
                            > > > me
                            > correctly
                            > > > is
                            > real
                            > > > (COM5
                            > COM
                            > > close
                            > > VSPE
                            > > > >

                            > > > I think it was a bug. That is the way I always set it up, and I
                            > > still
                            > > > had N1MM (and other aps) hanging on exit.
                            > > >
                            > > > However, there is a new version of the Eterlogic tool out
                            > > (7/15/08).
                            > > > With the new version I don't get the hangs.
                            > > >
                            > > > Tor
                            > > > N4OGW

                          • Marijan Miletic
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
                              Eterlogic spliter ver. 0.78 works fine with Skimmer and N1MM Logger
                              which uses RTS/DTR for KEY/PTT control of FT1K. Great service.

                              73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

                            • Tobias Wellnitz
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
                                Hi,

                                everybody is working with Eterlogic Serial Port Splitter for cw-skimmer and
                                win-test ?

                                n1mm + cw-skimmer work well.

                                Win-Test however is continously jumping between VFO1 and VFO2 which is a
                                little bit annoying.

                                Anybody knows a workaround ?

                                73, Toby
                                EA4/DH1TW

                                _____

                                --- In dxatlas_group@ <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                                yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

                                > Looks like I spoke too soon in endorsing the Eterlogic virtual
                                serial port
                                > emulator. I have done some further tests and for some reason am
                                now
                                > getting very flakey frequency data passed to CW Skimmer when
                                sharing
                                > between Skimmer and N1MM Logger. Even without tuning either
                                radio, the
                                > frequency passed to Skimmer switches every couple of seconds from
                                the
                                > correct radio frequency to two totally off-the-wall numbers -
                                clearly bad
                                > data being received by Skimmer. I don't know why I didn't see
                                this before,
                                > but it will be a show-stopper unless there is some cure. I've
                                also
                                > discovered that MM won't close when Skimmer is closed first, while
                                using
                                > the VSPE - annoying but not fatal, like the other thing.
                                >
                                > oh well.....

                              • Barry GM3YEH
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
                                  Hi Toby,
                                  I do not use WinTest so I cannot give a direct answer. If you
                                  suspect that the problem is with the Eterlogic VSPE then I suggest
                                  that you go to their website where you will find a support forum.
                                  Posting questions there always results in a very fast response. If
                                  VSPE is the problem they will try to fix it. Some bug fixes are
                                  done within a few hours!
                                  73 de Barry GM3YEH.

                                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Wellnitz"