[dxatlas] Re: Omni rig feature request

  • bill_w4zv
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

      > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
      > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
      > ~20 KHz in IF mode.

      Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
      it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
      on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
      khz span.

      What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
      by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):

      http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html

      "Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
      things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
      to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
      creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
      It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
      along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
      convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
      Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
      are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
      status and setup / diagnostic view."

      73, Bill
    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
        Hi Bruce,
        It's pretty straightforward to do the IF tap. The 2nd IF of my old
        IC751A is at 9010.6 kHz on CW so I got a 30m v6.2 Softrock from Tony
        and replaced the supplied xtal for a cheap 12 MHz one to get the SR
        down a bit. No other mods were made to the SR. I tapped the 2nd IF
        and initially fed it to the SR via a simple potential
        divider/capacitor gain control. I now have a Clifton Labs Z10000 as
        a buffer. If you need some more details then please contact me by
        direct e-mail and I'll let you know anything else that might help.
        73 de Barry GM3YEH

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2008
          Thank for the info. Are you or anyone familiar with the hook up
          possibilities using an IC-756 Pro II or the IC-7000?

          Bruce
          -------

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2008
            Fine for owners of K3s, but the eterlogic software has the advantage of
            being generic. N8LP and his colleagues do great work - not knocking them
            in the least, but I wouldn't want to have to support LP-Bridge in other
            applications.

            73, Pete

            At 01:55 PM 7/5/2008, bill_w4zv wrote:
            >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
            > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
            > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
            >
            >Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
            >it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
            >on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
            >khz span.
            >
            >What you guys have discussing (virtual COM ports) is also being done
            >by N8LP as LP-Bridge (about 1/4 page down from top):
            >
            >http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html
            >
            >"Here is the first cut at the LP-Bridge program. It will do several
            >things. 1) It will provide a method of allowing several applications
            >to simultaneously share bidirectional communications with the K3 by
            >creating virtual ports for the other applications to connect to... 2)
            >It will provide a means to obtain offset data from the K3, and pass it
            >along to WU2X's IF Stage version of PowerSDR... 3) It provides a
            >convenient way to implement point-and-click tuning from PowerSDR /IF
            >Stage by providing an extensive direct DDE interface to PowerSDR. Here
            >are some reduced size screen grabs. Views are normal, normal with K3
            >status and setup / diagnostic view."
            >
            >73, Bill

          • rt_tclay
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
              >
              > > I'm still hoping the bandwidth in Softrock-IF mode will get opened up
              > > :) I recently installed a 192KHz capable sound card, but still only
              > > ~20 KHz in IF mode.
              >
              > Me too but Alex told me this is unlikely to happen. BTW I believe
              > it's actually 24 kHz in Softrock-IF. Although that BW is not visible
              > on the waterfall I believe Skimmer still captures calls over the 24
              > khz span.

              Yes, I was hoping (based on the picture of IF mode in the Skimmer help
              file) that the width depended on the sampling rate. So you would get
              more by going from 96 to 192 KHz sampling. But unfortunately not.

              If anyone is looking for a 192-capable PCI sound card, I have been
              using the Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 (~105$). It seems to work pretty
              well for SDR use.

              Tor
              N4OGW